Am I being really thick?

sxphil

Why so rude? Some people just need things set to feel comfortable when traveling. This is my first time and this is different from other cruise lines or maybe the travel agent has always done it before. I thought here was a place to ask questions.

Totally agree. I am not fond of the porter's bad scribble hand writing on those tags..and will only use them if I have to. Much prefer the color version of the ones I can print online which are easier to read. Bob (Clarea) had the correct answer. :)

And don't worry about the downers on these threads...they are just starving for attention. ;)

Please continue to ask questions and you will find a wealth of us are only too happy to help. Enjoy your cruise! :D

Is it. I've never heard a porter complaining. I bet they appreciate the tip. What would you do if you didn't have a printer or access to one?

Wouldn't they need a printer or access to one to print the other required documents?

Wouldn't they need a printer or access to one to print the other required documents?

You do not "have" to print anything including your Setsail Pass. I always print our luggage tags and Setsail Pass(s). Makes the whole process of luggage drop off and check in a lot more smoother and efficient.

You do not "have" to print anything including your Setsail Pass. I always print our luggage tags and Setsail Pass(s). Makes the whole process of luggage drop off and check in a lot more smoother and efficient.

Well actually Royal Caribbean does state this on their website:

Gathering Documents: Make sure you have the proper forms of identification needed for your cruise. Give yourself plenty of time to obtain or renew your passport, if necessary. In order to make the boarding process as simple as possible, we strongly encourage you to visit RoyalCaribbean.com/onlinecheckin to check in online and print your SetSail Pass no later than three days prior to your sail date.

Before You Board: Don’t forget to hand carry your passport, SetSail Pass, valuables and medications in your carry-on bag. You’ll need your passport and SetSail Pass to board the ship.

I learned the hard way....I did not print my luggage tags out when they became available, and instead waited until the day of departure (that's when I pack my bags :p), and guess what? Right...I had issues with my printer.....

So now I print them when they are available....

By the way, I simply fold them and staple them as instructed, and don't bother with clear tape or tag holders, and after doing that on over 20 cruises, I have never had any issue with missing or damaged tags....

I agree that it is nice to have all the paperwork in order before arriving at the pier....:)

Well actually Royal Caribbean does state this on their website:

Gathering Documents: Make sure you have the proper forms of identification needed for your cruise. Give yourself plenty of time to obtain or renew your passport, if necessary. In order to make the boarding process as simple as possible, we strongly encourage you to visit RoyalCaribbean.com/onlinecheckin to check in online and print your SetSail Pass no later than three days prior to your sail date.

Before You Board: Don’t forget to hand carry your passport, SetSail Pass, valuables and medications in your carry-on bag. You’ll need your passport and SetSail Pass to board the ship.

I'm not disputing what is published on RC website. I would never tell anyone not to print their Setsail pass before leaving for their cruise. Just saying it's not required and you will not be denied to check in at the embarkation terminal. One of our friends doesn't even do the precruise online check in when they use to cruise.

Ok back to the subject of luggage tags. I always print our luggage tags and Setsail Pass as soon as they are available in my cruise planner. I put the luggage tags on our luggage before leaving the hotel and before heading over to the cruise terminal.

Edited by davekathy

I learned the hard way....I did not print my luggage tags out when they became available, and instead waited until the day of departure (that's when I pack my bags :p), and guess what? Right...I had issues with my printer.....

So now I print them when they are available....

By the way, I simply fold them and staple them as instructed, and don't bother with clear tape or tag holders, and after doing that on over 20 cruises, I have never had any issue with missing or damaged tags....

I agree that it is nice to have all the paperwork in order before arriving at the pier....:)

I forgot my set sail pass once. I can't remember which cruise, but I just had to provide extra info at check in. It delayed my boarding by about two minutes :cool:

Completely agree with that!! Why make the world more complicated than it needs to be! :cool:

I forgot my set sail pass once. I can't remember which cruise, but I just had to provide extra info at check in. It delayed my boarding by about two minutes :cool:

That is totally understandable...mistakes happen...you forgot. No flogging required. ;)

It's the pax that think they don't have to arrive with ANY kind of paperwork, etc. that make things back up for the rest of us. Reason for not doing so...

:o fill in the blanks. :rolleyes:

It used to be a big thrill when we received our documents and luggage tags in the mail. Always did the "doc dance" at the mail box and all the way back inside the house.:D Now, I enjoy the thrill of seeing the message that my docs are ready. I save just the page with the tag in a separate file...then I can go in and type our name on them. I even bought the luggage tag holders after years of the using clear packaging tape (which worked just dandy). To some it may seem silly, but I enjoy all the planning and the little things we do in preparation for a cruise. Part of the fun for me.

Same here. I print them up and use the heavy duty plastic holders with the steel cables. Never a problem or that big an issue..I actually like them better than the ones they used to send us.:)

bosco

My opinion and that's all it is, mine. People who wait for the porters are just people who don't want to go along with the crowd and do what all the others do. They are making a statement and doing it their way. They don't have to do what's expected and will do what they want. Again, my opinion and doesn't mean a lot in the whole scheme of things. Not really anything wrong with it. It works either way. I never noticed any affect from it in my cruises.

Sounds right to me. This is how I do it and always print my luggage tags early. I'm to anal to wait until I get to port to get luggage tags and what if they put the wrong info on it and I don't get my luggage :eek:. Like I said I am to anal to do it that way.

Well, you wait for the porter to do it because that's the way he does it so it's the only way. At least that's the impression I get from posts like those. And yes it is an option, but not one that everyone chooses.

I also pay everything up front, Only use cash on cruises, add money to my account before so it's not in my bank account accruing 23 cents in interest in the mean time, and am left handed.

We were arriving at the train station in Anchorage to travel to Seward for our Radiance Alaska cruise.

The RCI box truck was on the scene as we checked our luggage. They were loading the luggage on the truck versus onto the train to take direct to the ship, which would arrive hours before the train gets there.

We already had our luggage tags on the bags, got into the line to do so, and quickly dropped them off to the porters at the loading area. Tags were required to be on the bags before they would take them. Many of the rest of the pax did not have their tags on, were searching all through their stuff to find them, and the ones that could not...were asked to step out of that long line...go over to the counter and make them out themselves and then come back.

Yet another reason that I was very happy to already have them printed and ready to go. We were settled on board the train already, while many of those pax were still trying to check their bags. ;)

Just seems to make sense doesn't it Island Lady. Will never understand why there are those who don't want to take the 5 minutes out of their life and print up some so they are ready. Oh well.. They do what they want, I do what I want.

I am with you...pays to be prepared. :D

Just seems to make sense doesn't it Island Lady. Will never understand why there are those who don't want to take the 5 minutes out of their life and print up some so they are ready. Oh well.. They do what they want, I do what I want.

I am with you...pays to be prepared. :D

Agree. Makes for a shorter line for the rest of us to handover our tagged luggage to the porters. ;p

Anything that makes my check in smooth and uncomplicated...gets me onto my cruise vacation that much sooner and easier. ;)

That's what I like about boarding the Anthem....I don't even have to stop to get my picture taken at the pier...I already have done it at home...:cool: