Abolition of credit card surcharges on cruise balance payments in UK

hansi

In the UK,as from 13th January 2018 it will be illegal for any company to charge a surcharge for payment by credit cards to pay for a cruise balance. Does anyone know what the Princess policy is on this as they normally charge 1.5% which to me is a rip-off? Yes, I know I can call them, just wondered what the views of others are?

As a UK registered company it would surely be illegal for them to continue to impose a surcharge after the 13th Jan. It’s likely they will consider a small increase in prices across the board to recoup any losses.

The change is the result of an EU directive so should apply across Europe.

I am off on a Marella cruise in a few days returning on the 17th so am wondering if they will try to impose their usual 2% charge on my final onboard account payment if I pay by credit card.

Companies here in the USA don't charge extra for paying by credit card.

I'd imagine that Princess only did that in the UK because it was allowed there or was customary there.

We don't do that here so I'd expect them to stop if there is now a law against it.

I just wanted to add that for my land trips to Japan I have used a UK based specialty travel agency with an office here in the USA in Colorado. They tried to charge me extra for paying for my trip with a credit card but I showed them the local Colorado law against it and they abided by the law. I'd expect Princess to do the same.

Edited by riffatsea

Be careful what you wish for over in the UK. In the USA, we have had a general policy (for many years) to not charge extra for using a credit card. In some places its actually the law and in many more places its simply the policy, imposed by the credit card companies, on merchants. its thought to be a good consumer protection policy. So, in theory, the merchant must bear the cost of credit cards (which varies depending on the merchants agreement with the credit card companies). But merchants (and cruise lines) are not stupid....so they simply increase their prices to cover the extra cost imposed by credit card companies. In the final result, I suspect that you will find (in the UK) that the prices will increase more then the 1.5% previously imposed by the cruise line.

Hank

Apparently, HMRC (Her Majesty’s Revenue & Customs) is now refusing to accept credit cards for payment of taxes. :D

In US, Internal Revenue Service accepts them, but charges a fee at least equal to what the credit card companies skim off the top. Our gas company also charges a fee for credit cards but not direct bank transfers. Yup, even in Colorado where they aren't supposed to (loophole in law). I can see the point for credit cards since it is very easy to dispute the charge. Most businesses eat the charge and just raise prices to compensate.

Online and on the auto phone payment I am charged a credit card fee by Princess even though i am using a debit card. I am in the UK using the UK website and have been charged this on the deposit and subsequent payment I made. Eventually after a few emails someone actually got back to me and organised a refund of the charges. So it will be nice if they do abololish it so that I can make payments online without being incorrectly charged.