Rome Cruise Port to Airport

springtx249

"Easiest" and "least expensive" are two different things in this case.

Easiest, bar none, is to make a reservation with one of the several very reliable and well-reviewed private services that are often discussed on this board. It will also likely be a bit cheaper than the cruiseline bus transfer assuming you have more than one person in your group.

Cheapest would involve taking the local train into Rome and then transferring to another local train to the airport. But getting to the station with luggage via a shuttle and bus or shuttle/walk plus transferring to the second train can make this a bit of a pain -- best recommended for those who really need a cheap option, who pack light, and who don't mind the walking and the various tranfers.

With a 1;15 PM flight I would not go cheapest and I would go the easiest route so you have plenty of time there. These days if this is an international flight allow three hours for arrival time and if going with a private transfer allow one hour to get there. Allow time to locate your luggage in the port.

So if it was me I would spend a few extra dollars to end the cruise in a convenient manner and take a private transfer.

We use romecabs which is not a taxi service but they offer private vehicles. Website is http://www.romecabs.com

Keith

Agree with the above posters. "Easiest" and "cheapest" don't always coincide when you have a time deadline.

I would add, given your flight time, easiest might be a cruise line transfer. But it won't be cheapest.

So you need to prioritize which is more important for you. We would also just grab a private transport, in our case, the wonderful Rome in Limo, which is mentioned here almost daily.

Agree with Keith regarding Romecabs (our "goto" folks) for a private transfer. For us, the ideal number of folks for their transfers is 6 because you have plenty of room in the van. In the past we have simply determined a pick-up time that suits us and then posted on the CC Roll Call board looking for 2 other couples to share for that same time/transfer. We usually fill our slots within a few hours and then reserve the vehicle. With a 1:15 flight you would want to be at FCO by around 10:15 which means leaving the port around 9:15 - 9:30. This is a great time to leave since you will miss the hoards rushing off early. Instead you can take the time to enjoy your last breakfast :). There are no issues at this port when it comes to dealing with authorities. You will simply walk off the ship, find your luggage, and be on your way.

However, if you truly want the "least expensive" then that would be via train. If you use search you can find train instructions on this board or several on this thread such as Keith, Bruce, or Cruisemom could give you detailed instructions on how to get from ship to train station to airport (you must change trains one time). Just keep in mind that this means carrying all of your own luggage (possibly up and down stairs), carefully guarding your luggage while on the trains, etc. Personally we would spend the extra Euros and share a private transfer.

Hank

I just booked a AAA/Costco ship to airport transfer for a very reasonable price. It leaves the port at 9:30AM for a 1:15PM flight out of FCO. Hope that will be plenty of time to catch our flight. It was less than half the price of the ship's transfer. Any thoughts?

I just booked a AAA/Costco ship to airport transfer for a very reasonable price. It leaves the port at 9:30AM for a 1:15PM flight out of FCO. Hope that will be plenty of time to catch our flight. It was less than half the price of the ship's transfer. Any thoughts?

I didn't even think to check with AAA. Good tip

I would be booking directly with a company that is recommended.

As CruiserBruce correctly said they are acting like a broker.

Maybe you'll save a few dollars but you are spending so much for a cruise that I would want to have a reliable transfer company.

Just my two cents.

Keith