Viking Sun World Cruise ongoing review/comments

Jim Avery

5 hours ago, Karen_Travels said:

Aloha Jim (and anyone else from the WC),

Question for you: How long was your ship docked in Cairns? For our upcoming Bali to Sydney cruise we are only in port from 8 am to 6 pm which pretty much precludes booking an independent snorkel trip to the GBR. The Viking GBR tour filled up before most of the cabin categories were able to book excursions so there is now much venting and unhappiness on our roll call. I don't remember seeing anyone from your cruise report this problem so I'm wondering if you were in port longer. Viking clearly grossly miscalculated the amount of interest there would be in seeing the GBR this time! 

Fortunately, I snagged us spots on a half-day heli/snorkel cruise months ago, thanks to the suggestion of someone on this thread (whew and thanks!). I'd be pretty bitter (like my future shipmates) if I was going that far only to be forced to miss the GBR. I'm just wondering why things seem to be going so badly for Viking at Cairns this time. Perhaps a larger percentage of WC travelers had already spent time at the GBR during previous trips so your fellow travelers were less inclined to want a snorkel tour? Or were you there long enough for people to be able to schedule their own? It also sounded like Viking offered two snorkel options for the WC instead of reserving only one snorkel boat for us. It seems strange. I'm just was curious about your experience in Cairns and any thoughts you might have on this. 

Thanks much!

Karen 😃

Karen,

The 2020 WC, which is virtually identical to the 2018 WC is in Cairns from 08:30 to 23:00, so lots of time for private tours.

Aloha!

Thanks for the info on the WC GBR tour. That's crazy that you all had to hike to get to the boat. I remember you all saying you weren't happy with the Viking excursion. Those massive tour boats are annoying. I hope it was at least only Viking people not a mix with families with children 😱. Although any boat with that many people trying to get in and out of the water is not a good time, particularly if they are new to snorkeling. Madness! Interesting to know they had a scuba option. One person on our cruise asked Viking about that and was never able to get an answer - then the excursion was full, anyway, before he had a chance. Sadly, other than the handful of us who could book a heli tour, there are really no other options to get to the GBR from Cairns given our limited time there. I'm not counting a half-day to Green Island because it sounds like the snorkeling there is terrible. 

Oh, good. I'd planned on having to wear a stinger suit. I had not heard they were terrible to get on and off. UGH, another thing to dread. It's tempting, but they'd probably frown on me bringing scissors to use to extract my mom from their stinker suit. Hah  

Strange that it sounds like there were enough spaces available to go to the GBR for the WC but not for our cruise. I agree it sounds like the Viking GBR tour sucked but I'd rather do that than not to get to see the reef at all. Interesting that the 2020 WC will be there longer. That arrival will be too late for most of the regular full day tours (unless there is a helicopter involved) but at least something should be available to work with that later departure time. 

Did any of you snorkel/dive out of Bali? That would be another option but the popular snorkeling places off Bali get very mixed reviews online. To me it sounds like the people who like Blue Lagoon, etc. might not have experience snorkeling elsewhere to compare it to whereas the conditions off the neighbor islands sound far more impressive but require a full day tour to get there. Unfortunately, I doubtful we'll have that much time in Bali given we already have one full day and one half day of land tour scheduled seeing some temples, etc.

We'd still want to see the GBR, however. It was the main reason why we selected the Bali to Sydney itinerary. I looked at Whitsunday but the port times/logistics didn't seem to work for private tours and the Viking cruise/snorkel there is $599! 😲. The only other place that seems possible is when we're docked in Townsville. Then we could ferry over to Magnetic Island where there are two snorkel trails that are a swim out from shore or there are some small boats that do snorkel tours around the island. A $1K heli trip to Orpheus Island is beyond our budget. 

Thanks, everyone, for all the information and insights. If any of you have more suggestions, your help is most appreciated! I feel so bad for the folks on our cruise who haven't found any way to make it out to the GBR. 

Aloha!

Karen 😃

Karen:

We snorkeled in Polynesia but the tours faced two challenges.  First, some sites had currents so swift that one had to hold on to a line off the stern of the boat.  Furthermore, some snorkle operators only provided masks and snorkels not vests and/or fins.  Not a good scenario for a wide range of swimming expertise.  Bring your own well-fitting mask, snorkle and fins.  It will make a difference.

On a more delicate topic, folks who had trouble either snorkeling or donning and removing stinger suits needed to do a better self appraisal of both their physical abilities and their weight.  Too many people signed up for water activities beyond their skill levels.  This really applies overall to Viking excursions.  Be in the best shape possible for the trip ... mentally and physically.

some passengers had a "smaller" boat experience, that we all had expected, and they had a wonderful time (it seemed to be luck of the draw who was assigned to the smaller group experience)

Viking did add some group capacity...the large excursion boat docked along side a very large floating platform that you just walked onto.  it was on this platform that you got your stinger suit, mask etc and got into the water ( easy enter/out) for such a large group it was almost organized.  One of the biggest issues is that the platform stays there all the time and the coral is even more damaged from inexperienced snorkelers than other places.  There was a lot to do on the excursion boat if you did not want to spend all the time in the water....a touch tank , underwater viewing area, optional scuba and helicopter, there was also a  buffet lunch. 

We could not do a DIY GBR because we arrived too late for any options that I could find.

Jim, if I remember correctly we were in Cairns later than 6 because some people had to rush off the boat for an evening dinner excursions and I think we may have walked into town?  But sometimes my memory has blended a couple different ports and morphed them into something that did not exist.

5 minutes ago, deec said:

Jim, if I remember correctly we were in Cairns later than 6 because some people had to rush off the boat for an evening dinner excursions and I think we may have walked into town?  But sometimes my memory has blended a couple different ports and morphed them into something that did not exist.

Correct, Sylvia and I (and maybe 40 or so others) went on a WONDERFUL "Candle-lit Forest" dinner trip after the dive trip.  I had to run back to the ship, meet Sylvia at the dock, and change clothes in the bathroom there because the timing was so tight.

Tom

• Like 1

RED Warrior68

10 hours ago, Redwarrior68 said:

On a more delicate topic, folks who had trouble either snorkeling or donning and removing stinger suits needed to do a better self appraisal of both their physical abilities and their weight.  Too many people signed up for water activities beyond their skill levels.  This really applies overall to Viking excursions.  Be in the best shape possible for the trip ... mentally and physically.

....I can not agree MORE!!  While I applaud those continue to travel well into their 80's ( hope to be one) is was SCARY watching some passengers attempt some excursions.  Their entitled expectations that other passengers and staff would "HELP". I pushed wheelchairs up sloped ramps (when the spouse could NOT), held arms of wobblies as we traversed uneven walks, held my breath as transfers between rocking boats were made and waited (not so patiently) and had tours miss important spots for SLOW passengers.  I know I did NOT have to help but my nature is to be caring (retired nurse) and I could not ignore someone struggling!  and scooters...I liked it better when Viking did NOT allow them.

I truly wish Viking Oceans could figure out like Viking Rivers how to offer SLOW groups!!!

right you are Dee.  I too have the ports run together a bit unless I dig out the itinerary.  I do remember those who had the dinner event rushing as we docked a bit late from GBR.  We did not go on that one thinking rightly we would have had enough after a long day at GBR.  I think it was one of our "dinner and a movie" nights.  Stayed in and had room service and a movie about once a week or so.  Would never "waste" an evening on a 7 day cruise but it was mighty nice to relax on the WC.  Cant wait for the next one!

• Like 1

Deec, Jim, Tom et al.  Interesting how our opinion of "sea days" matured over the long voyage.  Initially viewed as "burning time between landfalls," sea days became a time to recharge and really enjoy the ship.  We also took advantage of the yoga, pilates, etc classes and I ran every other sea day as my weight control program to counter the unbelievably good gelato.

As for the days running together as we age I recall the saying, " The older I get the more clearly I can recall events in my life that never happened at all."

• Like 1

Hey, last year’s World Cruisers:  I should know this because I just got off Viking Sea four months ago, but can’t remember.  Does the daily refill of shsmpoo, lotion, conditioner, soap also include mini bottles of mouthwash?  Just can’t see dragging along five big bottles of Listerine.

19 minutes ago, SantaFe1 said:

Hey, last year’s World Cruisers:  I should know this because I just got off Viking Sea four months ago, but can’t remember.  Does the daily refill of shsmpoo, lotion, conditioner, soap also include mini bottles of mouthwash?  Just can’t see dragging along five big bottles of Listerine.

Nope, shampoo, conditioner, body wash, and lotion.

But, they may have sold it in the gift shop.

Tom

36 minutes ago, SantaFe1 said:

No. We shipped ours in the Luggage Forward bags.

15 minutes ago, Jim Avery said:

15 minutes ago, Jim Avery said:

LF just told me no.  Said no to almost everything.  OK, my husband thought they had mouthwash in the stateroom,  but I guess that was the hotel in San Francisco last month.  We’ll buy it in Miami along with some other things.  Bought lots of consumables today.  The guest room is starting to look like a CVS.

thanks, everyone.

Had no problem with the alcohol free Listerine.  Sent 3 large bottles.  Didn't last.  Went looking for some in Indonesia.  Had a lizard on the label.  We passed on it.  Found plenty when we arrived in Valetta.  Alcohol seemed to be the only no no when we went.  I called them twice.  One guy said ok another no so I went with the ok.  

36 minutes ago, Jim Avery said:

Had no problem with the alcohol free Listerine.  Sent 3 large bottles.  Didn't last.  Went looking for some in Indonesia.  Had a lizard on the label.  We passed on it.  Found plenty when we arrived in Valetta.  Alcohol seemed to be the only no no when we went.  I called them twice.  One guy said ok another no so I went with the ok.  

Yes, always better to ask forgiveness than permission. I’m not sure I’m going to have room in my LF luggage for even 3.  We will buy some in Miami.  DH says he doesn’t want to waste time shopping in NZ or OZ, but he never wants to “waste time” shopping. Period!

Hey fellow Inaugural World Cruisers, have any of you spotted any of the video that was shot by drones and helicopters during our cruise?

I just went thru all I could find on their website and have seen hundreds of PBS commercials but I don’t think any of that footage is from our cruise.

Tom