Viking Sun World Cruise ongoing review/comments

Jim Avery

Does anyone know whether there are daily exercise eg yoga or stretching classes onboard? if there are is it complimentary?

There was yoga and I believe it was complimentary but limited to number of participants. Not sure what was offered in the exercise room. It did seem to get lots of use. There were people using it every time I limped by. I am hoping after my soon to happen hip replacement surgery I will be able to do more on this cruise - especially walking the deck.

Does anyone know whether there are daily exercise eg yoga or stretching classes onboard? if there are is it complimentary?

On Barcelona,The Baltic & Beyond last year there was a self-directed group who met regularly in the fitness center.

Hi again. Not necessarily a function of bow or stern, rather a maximization of revenue space. In practical use, North Atlantic liner design and build strength is not required for Viking's intended use. But still, when head seas are a problem, the seas will be noticeably felt. It is unsettling to some but I feel confident in the stability of this ship or we would still be back in the middle of the desert.:D But if you are asking if it were more comfortable to have an aft cabin then yes.... Except for occasional propeller vibration..... But that is an entirely new story. This is why they charge the most, in any given category, for midships cabins. There the motion and noise is considered better. The exception is the large, expensive suites forward and aft. We are midships but could I afford it I would have one of the aft Explorer Suites!:cool:

Just now catching up with your entire thread, which is so great, by the way. Re the above - great explanation. It makes sense to me now. We’ll be on the Sea on Sept. 4th, crossing west to east, from Bergen to Montreal. So, the North Atlantic. I’m guessing from this that I need to be prepared for feeling lots of movement? Now back to reading more recent posts. Thanks for doing this!

Just now catching up with your entire thread, which is so great, by the way. Re the above - great explanation. It makes sense to me now. We’ll be on the Sea on Sept. 4th, crossing west to east, from Bergen to Montreal. So, the North Atlantic. I’m guessing from this that I need to be prepared for feeling lots of movement? Now back to reading more recent posts. Thanks for doing this!

Hi

Glad you enjoyed the merry band of posters from the World Cruise. We are madly trying to figure out another.😳 do we really need a house? One slight correction, if you are going from Bergen to Montreal, you are heading East to West. You gain an hour for each time zone crossed. I love those 25 hour days.🍸😎

Check out Aaron Saunders blog "From The Deck Chair" from Sept 2016. First crossing for Viking. I got off the ship in Bergen as that's where VH ended, the day they boarded. Hope it's a little better for you.

Hi

Glad you enjoyed the merry band of posters from the World Cruise. We are madly trying to figure out another.😳 do we really need a house? One slight correction, if you are going from Bergen to Montreal, you are heading East to West. You gain an hour for each time zone crossed. I love those 25 hour days.🍸😎

Well, that’s embarrassing...;) Yes, east to west it is. We were in the North Atlantic years ago on an Oceania ship, and had some really rough seas for a couple of days. I’m hoping not, but expecting to, repeat that experience this trip, given the route. But worth it for the planned stops! And no, I think you probably actually do not need a house......

Don't believe they had any segments on the inaugural World Cruise. The 2 choices were Miami to London or L/A to London.

The 2019 WC (Maimi to London) has just had 5 segments posted.

The 2019/20 WC - 245 days London to London currently only has 2 segments - London to L/A & L/A to London.

Don't believe they had any segments on the inaugural World Cruise. The 2 choices were Miami to London or L/A to London.

The 2019 WC (Maimi to London) has just had 5 segments posted.

The 2019/20 WC - 245 days London to London currently only has 2 segments - London to L/A & L/A to London.

We were on the first segment of the 2018 WC from Miami to LA. Maybe they weren't counting that as part of the WC...

We were on the first segment of the 2018 WC from Miami to LA. Maybe they weren't counting that as part of the WC...

I think they did and then they didn't. A lot of "learn while you earn" but still quite an adventure. And we just yesterday completed 2 weeks on Seabourn Sojourn in Alaska. Alaska was, as usual, spectacular. Seabourn less so. There is a thread on the Seabourn board comparing Viking Oceans and Seabourn. I will be doing a pretty full addition to that thread in the next couple of days. Spoiler alert: Viking Oceans in a landslide.....:cool:

When we signed up, in May of 2016, it was advertised as a 120 day LA to London World Cruise with a 21 day extension available from Miami.

Apparently the 141 day was selling well enough that they started advertising it as a 141 day WC from Miami to London but you could take a shorter 120 day instead from LA if you desired.

They didn’t heavily advertise the 21 day segment as far as I know.

Tom

I think they did and then they didn't. A lot of "learn while you earn" but still quite an adventure. And we just yesterday completed 2 weeks on Seabourn Sojourn in Alaska. Alaska was, as usual, spectacular. Seabourn less so. There is a thread on the Seabourn board comparing Viking Oceans and Seabourn. I will be doing a pretty full addition to that thread in the next couple of days. Spoiler alert: Viking Oceans in a landslide.....:cool:

Interesting Jim. I was looking at a Seabourn itinerary recently in Alaska. I will look forward to your review. Thank you

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Everybody. I just received the Inaugural WC recipe book email from Viking.

Be sure to take a look at it even if you’re not interested in the recipes as the photos of our cruise and crew are wonderful memories.

Well done, Viking!

Sharon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is a nice reminder of what we did. I do not know why my picture is missing from the book as I was eating constantly for 120 days.......:cool:
Nice touch by Viking. Here is a who cares. comment for general enjoyment. I spent one night in the hospital following hip replacement surgery. When I got home I discovered I had gained 12 lbs and that was more than I gained in the 141 days of eating the wonderful food on the Viking Sun (ok so there was also drinking good stuff - thanks Lois and Jim for introducing me to that yummy poolside frozen drink - named?) Anyway surgery went fine and weight gain is gone. I am so ready for the 2019 Viking WC.

Connie

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

Hello all 2019 World Cruisers. I know we all had highlights and some “downers” from Viking-sold excursions on our first World Cruise and from other cruises.

Let’s all get together on the August 2019 World Cruise thread and, as we see what Viking has to offer for that cruise, discuss any alternative excursions that you know about that would give us better WOW for our dollars.

I know that we will not be doing many “Wonderful Panorama Drive-by Tours” this time. We have learned our lesson.

Tom & Sylvia

Hello all 2019 World Cruisers. I know we all had highlights and some “downers” from Viking-sold excursions on our first World Cruise and from other cruises.

Let’s all get together on the August 2019 World Cruise thread and, as we see what Viking has to offer for that cruise, discuss any alternative excursions that you know about that would give us better WOW for our dollars.

I know that we will not be doing many “Wonderful Panorama Drive-by Tours” this time. We have learned our lesson.

Tom & Sylvia

Tom

Not on the August 2019. We are on the 2019 Jan-May. Are you starting a roll call for the first part of the 2020 - 245 day WC starting in August 2019? Or maybe the whole 2020 WC?

Connie

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

Hi Connie,

Yes, for the 245 day WC... at least the first half for us. We will be able to provide information for any LA to London cruisers for those ports that we visited on the inaugural WC.

If they do the loop around Africa as a separate cruise in the future, and you folks enjoyed it, we may do that.

Tom

We are also on the 2019 WC with Connie January to May. We are looking to buy binoculars for the safaris and other wildlife intensive excursions and wonder if any of you experienced world cruisers have any suggestions.

Thanks, Christine

A few things that I clearly remember, positive and negative.

1) "Candlelit Dinner" (actually "Flames of the Forest") was fabulous, I think in Cairns port call.

2) A "Jeep Safari" or "Jeep Tour" is not always (never?) in a Jeep. Usually in the back of a Toyota Pickup truck with metal benches with 1/4" of worn out padding. Not good!!

3) Make sure you get to hold the Koalas :-) Get the tickets ASAP as the "Koala Union" limits their visiting time per day.

Those were on top of the stack. Ask other more directed questions and I am sure Jim or Wagnerite or Maryland or Sapphire or someone will answer.

Tom

We are also on the 2019 WC with Connie January to May. We are looking to buy binoculars for the safaris and other wildlife intensive excursions and wonder if any of you experienced world cruisers have any suggestions.

Thanks, Christine

I hav:cool:e a pair of Steiner Safaris. Best compact binocs I have used. I have a pair of Fujinon 7x50s but they are too large for travel binocs. Check out the Steiner line.

Thanks, Christine

Further to Jim's response. When purchasing binoculars, especially for use at sea I suggest paying attention to the technical numbers. Traditionally at sea, we used 7 x 50.

- The first number (7) is the magnification factor, as I will explain later, at sea higher is not always better

- Second number (50) is the field of view, or how much of the horizon you can see in horizontal plane

Magnification - a salesman will probably try to sell you more powerful binoculars, which on land might be OK, but on a ship, vibration causes high magnification to be blurry. I suggest 7x to a maximum of 10x for comfortable viewing. Depending on how steady your hands are, you may go to 12x. Personally have used 20x demo, but not recommended.

Field of vision - higher is better, especially when looking at smaller targets. Suggest getting at least 35, preferably 50.

Focus - suggest getting a pair with auto-focus, perma-focus, or whatever the various companies call the technology. They do not require a focus ring and from reasonably close to infinity, they instantly show a clear, in-focus picture.

If money is no object, I personally would go with Swarovski, but they are serious $$$$. When I completed a life-cycle analysis for ship binos the Swarovski's were virtually indestructible. Unfortunately, couldn't justify the cost so we selected a cheaper brand for supply to the ships.

Since we travel extensively, I opt for a cheaper binocular, which we are happy to replace, if it gets damaged. We have:

- Bushnell 12x50 perma-focus. Great for long distance viewing from cruise ships, but probably won't focus at objects closer than about 50-70 feet (don't know why we need binos for that close) Excellent wide viewing angle for picking up wildlife. Probably limited if viewing fast action, say car racing or airshow.

- Much smaller 7x35 (brand unknown)

Any brand will work, big differences are usually price and weight.

Good luck finding binos that work for you.