Live from the Western Mediterranean

Peregrina651

In Civitavecchia yesterday and today. Yesterday we went to see the ruins of the ancient Roman seaport of Ostia and today the Etruscan Necropolis in the town of Tarquina. Guides on both tours were excellent. Both tours also cover a lot of uneven ground and require a lot of walking.

"King's Day" (Feast of the Epiphany) is tomorrow--Jan 6. Marks the beginning of Mardi Gras and King Cake season in New Orleans. Yum!!

We are looking forward to our Barcelona to Rome cruise in July. We'd love to have any reviews of the included tours. The included tours on our river cruise were wonderful but we need to decide if we will do optional or book other independent tours. Thanks for any input you all might have.

In Barcelona, on January 5, they celebrate the arrival of the Reyes Magos with a huge parade called La Cabalgata. I dont know what the 2018 schedule is but if you can swing it, see La Cabalgata.

In Civitavecchia yesterday and today. Yesterday we went to see the ruins of the ancient Roman seaport of Ostia and today the Etruscan Necropolis in the town of Tarquina. Guides on both tours were excellent. Both tours also cover a lot of uneven ground and require a lot of walking.

Thanks for sharing all this information. Much appreciated.

On your first day in Civitavecchia, was your Ostia excursion through Viking or independent? We are doing Barcelona-Barcelona in February, and I don't see any excursion options available on the first day in Civitavecchia on MVJ.

We are on the Star now and thoroughly enjoying ourselves. Tonight was the Captain's Reception at the theatre. We're not going to Trapani as originally planned but Palermo. Thrilled at this change of fortune! Captain Eric did a great job in explaining why the change of plans (high winds) so we are satisfied and happy that they pulled together new excursions for us on the PDQ.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Forums mobile app

We are on the Star now and thoroughly enjoying ourselves. Tonight was the Captain's Reception at the theatre. We're not going to Trapani as originally planned but Palermo. Thrilled at this change of fortune! Captain Eric did a great job in explaining why the change of plans (high winds) so we are satisfied and happy that they pulled together new excursions for us on the PDQ.

You won't miss anything by not going to Trapani. We were on the Viking Star about 2 weeks ago. Trapani looked like some kind of a "backwater" town. It is certainly not as interesting as Catania nor Taormina. We would have preferred to go to Palermo rather than Trapani if we had a choice.

Thanks for sharing all this information. Much appreciated.

On your first day in Civitavecchia, was your Ostia excursion through Viking or independent? We are doing Barcelona-Barcelona in February, and I don't see any excursion options available on the first day in Civitavecchia on MVJ.

Once we boarded the ship, they added two choices for shorex on day 1 in Civi: Ostia and Rome on your own (which did not have enough takers so did not run). We were already planning Ostia for day 2 and so decided on RomeOYO for day 1. When that didn't work out, we decided to flip them. However, after an hour in Ostia, DH said to me that he wanted to do Taquina and the Etruscan ruins, that he was fascinated by what he was seeing.

The tours of Ancient Ostia, of the Etruscan Necropolis and of Herculaneum were all excellent. They were all short tours, all about 2 to 2.5 hours at the ruins* themselves plus the travel time (*except Tarquina which was some time at the ruins and some time in Tarquina at the Archeology Museum and then time to wander) .

All of these tours were a lot of walking over uneven ground with no places to rest while touring the ruins and no bathrooms except at the entrances. On the other hand, the pace was slow. We had plenty of time to take in what we were seeing, to take pictures and to get from place to place without feeling like we were holding up the group.

All three sites can be done OYO and all three sites offer audioguides.

I thought there weren't any captains reception on the Star - is this not true? Was not planning to bring fancy clothes on this trip.

I thought there weren't any captains reception on the Star - is this not true? Was not planning to bring fancy clothes on this trip.

The Captain's Reception was held in the theatre and all the officers were introduced to us. Our CD also introduced herself and told us what was in store for us. Then there was the Explorer's Society reception which was held in the atrium. There was no personal invitation for this, just an announcement in the daily guide. As there were more people in attendance than seats available, pillows were placed on the stairs for us. Sort of like stadium seating! Nice touch. Lastly, we had the Cruise Critic reception with drinks and appetizers. This was held in the beautiful Winter Garden. It was a lovely little gathering with a few officers present.

As to clothing for these events--well, it runs the gamut. Some people don't change out of their day clothes but most people do, at least partially. Yesterday for example, I wore dark burgundy corduroy pants daytime and in the evening I took my walking shoes off and wore nice ballet flats instead, took my scarf off and replaced it with a necklace, and put on some makeup. My husband changed out of his tee shirt into a collar shirt. Simple. I do have a pair of black pants for dinner as well and a few silk tops (weightless in the luggage) for dinner. Smart casual chic seems to be what most people do for the evenings, nothing over-the-top at all.

The Captain's Reception was held in the theatre and all the officers were introduced to us. Our CD also introduced herself and told us what was in store for us. Then there was the Explorer's Society reception which was held in the atrium. There was no personal invitation for this, just an announcement in the daily guide. As there were more people in attendance than seats available, pillows were placed on the stairs for us. Sort of like stadium seating! Nice touch. Lastly, we had the Cruise Critic reception with drinks and appetizers. This was held in the beautiful Winter Garden. It was a lovely little gathering with a few officers present.

As to clothing for these events--well, it runs the gamut. Some people don't change out of their day clothes but most people do, at least partially. Yesterday for example, I wore dark burgundy corduroy pants daytime and in the evening I took my walking shoes off and wore nice ballet flats instead, took my scarf off and replaced it with a necklace, and put on some makeup. My husband changed out of his tee shirt into a collar shirt. Simple. I do have a pair of black pants for dinner as well and a few silk tops (weightless in the luggage) for dinner. Smart casual chic seems to be what most people do for the evenings, nothing over-the-top at all.

Here! Here! Fancy dress not required. Gentlemen are asked to wear collared shirts and pants (as opposed to shorts) to dinner. Details are in the cruise docs.

Going to Erice in Sicily? Dress appropriately!

I did not and I was miserable. It is much colder in Erice and even colder if the wind is blowing. I should have had something on my legs and my winter coat.

However, Erice is a delightful little town and popular tourist destination. It is also straight up and down, with very few flat areas and cobblestoned, for those who want the walking report.

Here is a heads up about the Pharmacy in the cruise terminal in NAPLES.

The mark-up is times 10 and then the guy will offer to drop it. But it is still 2-3 times of what you will pay elsewhere. I wanted a generic cough suppressant. I pay under $5 at home and this guy had it marked at 28 euro, which he then promptly dropped to 10 euro, still a rip off. We walked out. Today, I sent my husband to a pharmacy in Palma where he bought the same product for 3.50 euro.

The guy in Naples pulled the same routine with everyone who walked into the shop. A reputable pharmacist does not operate this way. Things may be higher priced on the cruise terminals in general but not by 2 to 3 times the going price. Rule of thumb: don't pay much more than you would at home for the same product.

Pharmacies are easy to find on Google maps.

Peregrina,

So sorry to hear you have a cold.

Get yourself a hot toddie or hot buttered rum at the bar on ship.

In my neck of the woods , everyone has been battling a wicked cold since the holidays. I figure I will have built up my immunity by the time I sail in late March.

I am loving your posts about your cruise in the Med.

Just a couple of notes on the included excursions we took. Remember that we have been to all of these ports on numerous occasions, so my thoughts may be different to others.

Barcelona:

Included excursion was useful to us but I do not think it was a very good introduction to this splendid city. We drove to Port Olympic and had 15 minutes to walk round. Bear in mind this was the end of December. nothing much open and very breezy. We actually went into the fabulous Hotel Arts for a quick look around, but others found little to see. We drove past the Parc de la Cuitadella and the Arc de Triomf to the top of Las Ramblas and got off the coach for a walking tour of the Gothic quarter and Cathedral. We left the tour at that point but that area is lovely. There was absolutely no mention of Gaudi and we did not even drive by any of his buildings. However other coaches did, so I do not know who actually sets the route. We returned to the ship after a lovely afternoon in Barcelona on the included shuttle bus. If it was my first visit to Barcelona I would have been a little disappointed

Marseilles:

Included tour took us from the Port to the Old Port then around the Corniche Kennedy with a short photo stop to view the offshore islands. We then drove through along the coast around a copy of Michelangelo's David and along a lovely avenue with many embassies etc. Then back to the old Port where we were dropped off. We did not drive up the hill to Notre Dame de la Garde although of course it can be seen from a distance. The weather was lovely and there was a Christmas market in full swing. We liked this tour but I think if it was my first visit I would probably go to Aix en Provence.

St Tropez:

Included tour does a quick walk around the port then a coach to Port Grimaud. St Tropez was in full swing but Port Grimaud appeared more or less closed. Not my favourite place. Returned to St Tropez and we enjoyed sitting in the sunshine, people and dog watching. Lovely atmosphere with two decorated horse drawn carriages circling the town. Some of the really high end shops closed but it was New Year's Eve.

Livorno:

Included tour to Pisa. Havent been inside the Cathedral for many years so this was interesting for us. Also went into the Baptistry. Very little free time and the Meeting Point was badly situated at the far end of the Piazza dei Miracoli. There is a walk to the area from the coach park and it seemed unnecessary for the Meeting Point to be at the furthest point rather than at the entrance to the Piazza. Just managed to buy a ticket for the Cemetery and run round it. DH sat and enjoyed a coffee. This tour suited us but if you have decided not to go to Florence then I would suggest Lucca is a great option.

Peregrina thought it would be a good idea to review these tours, but again I would say my perspective is slightly different from first time visitors. DH does not walk too well so we really used these tours mainly for the transportation. The ports and surrounding areas are wonderful. There is a huge amount to see. My recommendation would be to take private tours, or even DIY, to see much more than the included tours offer.

Just a couple of notes on the included excursions we took. Remember that we have been to all of these ports on numerous occasions, so my thoughts may be different to others.

Barcelona:

Included excursion was useful to us but I do not think it was a very good introduction to this splendid city. We drove to Port Olympic and had 15 minutes to walk round. Bear in mind this was the end of December. nothing much open and very breezy. We actually went into the fabulous Hotel Arts for a quick look around, but others found little to see. We drove past the Parc de la Cuitadella and the Arc de Triomf to the top of Las Ramblas and got off the coach for a walking tour of the Gothic quarter and Cathedral. We left the tour at that point but that area is lovely. There was absolutely no mention of Gaudi and we did not even drive by any of his buildings. However other coaches did, so I do not know who actually sets the route. We returned to the ship after a lovely afternoon in Barcelona on the included shuttle bus. If it was my first visit to Barcelona I would have been a little disappointed

Marseilles:

Included tour took us from the Port to the Old Port then around the Corniche Kennedy with a short photo stop to view the offshore islands. We then drove through along the coast around a copy of Michelangelo's David and along a lovely avenue with many embassies etc. Then back to the old Port where we were dropped off. We did not drive up the hill to Notre Dame de la Garde although of course it can be seen from a distance. The weather was lovely and there was a Christmas market in full swing. We liked this tour but I think if it was my first visit I would probably go to Aix en Provence.

St Tropez:

Included tour does a quick walk around the port then a coach to Port Grimaud. St Tropez was in full swing but Port Grimaud appeared more or less closed. Not my favourite place. Returned to St Tropez and we enjoyed sitting in the sunshine, people and dog watching. Lovely atmosphere with two decorated horse drawn carriages circling the town. Some of the really high end shops closed but it was New Year's Eve.

Livorno:

Included tour to Pisa. Havent been inside the Cathedral for many years so this was interesting for us. Also went into the Baptistry. Very little free time and the Meeting Point was badly situated at the far end of the Piazza dei Miracoli. There is a walk to the area from the coach park and it seemed unnecessary for the Meeting Point to be at the furthest point rather than at the entrance to the Piazza. Just managed to buy a ticket for the Cemetery and run round it. DH sat and enjoyed a coffee. This tour suited us but if you have decided not to go to Florence then I would suggest Lucca is a great option.

Peregrina thought it would be a good idea to review these tours, but again I would say my perspective is slightly different from first time visitors. DH does not walk too well so we really used these tours mainly for the transportation. The ports and surrounding areas are wonderful. There is a huge amount to see. My recommendation would be to take private tours, or even DIY, to see much more than the included tours offer.

Thanks so much for your insights. They will go a long way to help us decide on tours.

Thanks for the continued updates and suggestions Peregrina651! Hope you are not under the weather. The flu is brutal back here in the States.

Quite. I missed the last three ports of the cruise. I finally had enough energy to get dressed and visit the ship's doctor this morning. I brought the cold with me and instead of clearing up it just got worse. Just hoping I have enough energy to pack-- after I nap.

Pam, thanks for the insight!

Quite. I missed the last three ports of the cruise. I finally had enough energy to get dressed and visit the ship's doctor this morning. I brought the cold with me and instead of clearing up it just got worse. Just hoping I have enough energy to pack-- after I nap.

So sorry. :(

Get well soon! Safe travels back home.

So sorry to hear you are under the weather. Please get well soon.

You have provided so much useful information in different threads here which we appreciate.

Thanks, Cahpek. Working on it. Antibiotics are a big help.

Peregrina - what an absolute bummer! Nothing worse than getting sick on vacation. Such a cheat! Safe travels home. Take care of yourself! Btw - having a super time on the Central America/Panama cruise!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

St Tropez:

Agree. St. Tropez was my least favorite port of the whole cruise and the one I would most like to changed. Port Grimaud needed to be explained better but it still really has nothing to offer-- and if I heard the name Leonardo DiCaprio dropped one more time, I was going to scream. There has got to be more to know about this town than is found on Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous.

Can we buy euro's on the Star? Cruising Jan 25. Still waiting for cabin assignment !!

NO. Viking does not do currency exchange. You will have to bring euros or even better, get them from an ATM when you arrive. Viking will make change for you if you have too many large bills.

DO bring an ATM card with you so that you can get cash along the way. There were a couple of folks on the ship who underestimated their cash needs and were scrounging to get a few more euros (enough for the cab to the hotel). But, they did not want to bring their debit/ATM cards--and to some extend, they were right not to.

However, there is a way around it and you may still have time to make it work. Open a second checking account with its own debit/ATM card and seed it with a couple of thousand dollars. Set the retail maximum to $0 so it can't be used as a credit card and set the daily ATM limit to whatever you want. I just go with whatever the bank's limit is. Don't let any of your other accounts be attached to this card.