Who takes just a Carry On for luggage? Tips for that?

nini

We always travel with one suitcase (carry on for airplane)and personal item. This includes our snorkel gear and wetsuits. The only other tip I can add is before we start placing the clothes in the suitcase, we unzip the lining. There are 3 metal rods which give the suitcase strength. In between the rods, we roll small items like underwear and socks, so before we start "packing" the clothes, all of the smaller items are in the suitcase. Zip the lining and now inside where most people pack everything, you put the shirts, pants, shoes and everything else. We do use spacebags for the wetsuits in order to keep them as compact as possible.

The only other tip I can add is before we start placing the clothes in the suitcase, we unzip the lining. There are 3 metal rods which give the suitcase strength. In between the rods, we roll small items like underwear and socks, so before we start "packing" the clothes, all of the smaller items are in the suitcase.

That is a great idea, I've never thought of that!

We just did a 15 day transatlantic in the fall with just a carry on each. I took mix and match items so I could make lots of different outfits. I took light weight fabrics. I wore my bulkiest clothes on the plane. We did laundry once on the ship.

Sent from my YOGA Tablet 2-1050F using Forums mobile app

I use to bring my carry on and the 25 " now can bring everything I need in my 22". for 15 days. i figure 5 evening slacks and tops to mix & match, 2 to 3 pair of evening shoes to match, pair of tennis shoes and good walking shoes, Depending on where I am cruising, a light jacket, & sweater. Bedtime wear and essentials. I alternate the slacks during 1st week then repeat, changing the top. I try and have 2 to 3 different tops to match. I will use the Packing cubes.

We have been mainly carry on people for quite a few years now - for cruises and land vacations, using many of the same tips people have posted here.

Makes me laugh when I think back to my earliest travel days. I brought six pairs of shoes, ended up wearing two. That is what cured me!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Doesn't matter where we travel, hot or cold destination, length of travel time, or type of travel, cruise or land based travel, we also travel carry-on only. All of the above tips are great but most important are the benefits...ability to share taxis, ect, no waiting for baggage claim, less worry concerning missing bags, ect.

No one has ever really wished they traveled and packed heavier.

We only travel using carryon. we just did 2 weeks in Italy with a carryon. You can pack mix and match, and light weight dresses, I bring a black and white pair of sandals, 1 pair of flip flops for deck. 3 bathing suits and 2 cover ups.

Roll your items and you will fit more.

I usually come home not having worn a few things.

We are challenging ourselves to just take one carry on each and personal

bags for our upcoming cruise. I have watched videos of packing with

"cubes" and with different methods.

Have any of my CC family done this?

I will also take my purse style camera bag which will fit my ID, camera,

Kindle, etc.

DH will have an "under the seat" style rolling bag for his personal items.

Is this too ambitious? It is a warm weather cruise, clothing takes less space

and we are not shoe addicts. I will do laundry once.

TIA:D

A bit vague. How many days is your cruise? And where?

Good luck.

I have traveled this way for the past two cruises and have found it to be really liberating. We made a very deliberate choice Not to take formal wear, and all the choices that entails. The first cruise was a southern Caribbean, 10 days, the next cruise was a 17 day trans Atlantic.

Both required thought of mix and match, versatility, fabric selection and color choices. Choice of luggage is of course vital. Stuck to airline specifics for dimensions and weight. For the personal item I have a really nice computer travel case with wheels and tonnes of space and pockets. Passed on the laptop and filled the carry on.

Clearing airport security as well as port was a breeze.

What started out as a challenge for us , has turned into the norm.

Best of luck you have already gotten some great tips from your fellow C.C. members.

I did this last cruise because it was out of San Juan so we had no choice but to fly to port (we usually drive.) I was so worried there was no way we could carry everything for our 10 night vacation. Not only was I wrong, we ended up not even using everything we packed and even had space for purchased items on the way back! I did not use packing cubes. Kept electronics (including dslr camera) and meds in the personal items. Everything else fit in our carry ons. Biggest tips -wear your bulkiest clothes and shoes, and your hat, so they don’t need to be packed, and limit shoes to one pair sneakers (worn), 1 pair flip flops, and 1dressy flats each. Shoes, especially heels, take too much space. Shirts get dirty on excursions but not in the dining rooms and theatres, and swimsuit and coverup or shorts work well on deck. The only clothing item I couldn’t wear again were excursion tops. I was so shocked we had more than enough in carry-ons, and now I will never “pack heavy” again. Like Rick Steves says, no one ever travels and tells themselves they need to “pack heavier next time”!

An option is use the Valet service depending on port. We stayed in Venice for five days before cruise departed years ago. We used Valet service, through Princess, for Smart Casual and formal attire delivery to ship in Venice. We had forgotten about the service, and nearly called the front desk to report a strange suitcase in our cabin. If you plan to use the service pick a truly light weight suitcase. We plan to use valet again.

I would also like to add, regarding packing in a carry on. My goal is to pack 80 % of my clothes that will carry me through the 1st week since I can repeat the 2nd week and should my larger bag go missing, all my essential clothing is in my carry on and I am not without any clothes if a bag goes missing during a flight to my cruise. Using this set up, I have now been able to eliminate the 25 and take the 20 & 22 ". I do have a Travel Tote if I feel I need it.

We went on a 13 day Yukon/Denali land sea tour. When we landed in Anchorage and met our transfer agent, they said to go collect all our luggage and they'll get us on the bus. We said this is all we have. Two carry-ons. They seemed surprised. lol

We wore our bulkier coats on the flight and packed with about 3 changes of clothing besides what we were wearing. Now to be honest, we didn't bring formal wear. Underwear, socks and most of our "wicking" travel clothes can be washed out and dried quickly in the room. Besides, there are laundry rooms in most of the hotels and on the ship.

When we travel without flying, we do bring one big suitcase with us also.

We are challenging ourselves to just take one carry on each and personal

bags for our upcoming cruise. I have watched videos of packing with

"cubes" and with different methods.

Have any of my CC family done this?

I will also take my purse style camera bag which will fit my ID, camera,

Kindle, etc.

DH will have an "under the seat" style rolling bag for his personal items.

Is this too ambitious? It is a warm weather cruise, clothing takes less space

and we are not shoe addicts. I will do laundry once.

TIA:D

What if you dehydrate everything then re-hydrate everything with water from the ship. That might save some space and weight.

We are doing this on our cruise this Sunday. I can't believe what I can fit into a 21 inch carry on. I did use packing cubes and a folder. I did things like white pants and two tops for the pants. What I plan to do is wear the white pants on Monday, then Tuesday AM send them to the laundry. Then I can wear the clean pants with another top on another day. I am doing things like that. I do get free laundry, so I am not worried about the cost. We drive to the port and do carry on and off.

I also bring clothes made of light weight fabric that fold flat.

Sent from my iPad using Forums