Document organization

duegwb

For most of my travel, I just use TripIt. But with cruises, I find I still like paper. I use a clear, semi-rigid plastic sleeve. LIke these: https://www.staples.com/jam-paper-plastic-sleeves-9-x-11-5-assorted-colors-12-pack-380sasst/product_2633569

Passports have a specific spot in the backpack, and I always make sure they are either there or in the safe. No pockets or anything. The few times we haven't put them back in their proper spot during travel, there is temporary panic. I hate that.

We tend to take longer cruises with many private tours so I too keep all that info organized in an accordion folder in date order. That makes it much easier to pull out the appropriate info the night before. I also bring along a business size envelope for each tour with the day, date, company name, time, meeting place, amount due including tip, etc. (just cut the appropriate line from my excursion worksheet) taped to the front. When we get to the ship I fill each envelop with the appropriate amount and put the stack (held together with a rubber band) in the safe in date order. Then all I have to do is grab the envelop on the day of the tour.

Wow. Can I hire you? :-)

I print hardcopy for almost nothing. I create a folder in Google Docs for the trip and put copies of any documents in it. If the information is in an email, I print that to pdf so I can store a copy. If the trip is very complex, I might make sub-folders. If I'll be going somewhere where I'm concerned about internet access, I'll also download copies to my devices. I carry a couple of USB batteries to ensure that I have power after long flights or being out and about all day.

I also have TripIt to keep track of flight and hotel reservations.

My backpack has a spot where I keep my passport. For occasions when paper is required (mainly boarding passes for international flights which sometimes don't provide electronic ones and cruise line bag tags) or if there's an activity where I won't be carrying my device, I use a pocket on my backpack.

We use TripIt also for everything. It is a great app that has all of the info we need. Any other documents that's not in TripIt then I save as a PDF on my phone in case I need them.

This is what we do too. For the rare document that has to be on paper, we have a small plastic folder.

I keep everything in a lightweight aluminum 2 drawer file cabinet which I wheel to the ship with a small collapsible dolly. :evilsmile:

-Seriously a two pocket plastic folder with smartphone backups. We have RFID-proof wallets for passports, ID's and credit cards.

When it comes to actually traveling, passports, ID's, boarding passes (essential docs) do not go in back pack or anywhere not on my person. That is why I always wear a blazer when traveling: not only have I a jacket to wear when indicated on a cruise, I have pockets to carry the essentials - and not risk losing them in a carry-on.

I do the same.:D

I create a file on my e-mail that has a copy of everything that has to do with the cruise and I even scan a copy of my credit cards (one that I use in the ports and pre-post cruise and one for an emergency that stays in the safe with my cash) and a copy of my passport and DL. That way if ANYTHING gets lost, I can access it from any computer. When I get to my cabin, I put my passport, cash, along with a copy of the excursions purchased from outside vendors in the safe in a zip lock baggie. When we went to Europe, we used only private excursions and I had an envelope marked for every day with the cash/euros for the vendor plus any cash we would need for that day. The morning in each port, all I had to do was look inside the second large baggie and grab the envelope marked for that day.

What do you use, or how do you keep your documents/paperwork organized for your cruise?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Forums mobile app

Electronic copies of everything are kept in a folder in the cloud. I do not ring any paper work, and do not print anything, including airline boarding passes.

I do find it funny that people think it is necessary to print an "e" anything, whether it be a ticket or a document , etc. The E stand for electronic, which means an electronic version is not only acceptable, but the prefered method to present the document.

When it comes to actually traveling, passports, ID's, boarding passes (essential docs) do not go in back pack or anywhere not on my person. That is why I always wear a blazer when traveling: not only have I a jacket to wear when indicated on a cruise, I have pockets to carry the essentials - and not risk losing them in a carry-on.

I bought a Scottevest last year, except for my laptop & camera gear, it held everything I deemed essential.

30+ cruises and lessons learned. Drivers license, Passport, copy of passport (carried in my water wallet, anytime we go ashore), credit card, and cash. That is all we need. You don’t need a printed boarding pass. Everything else is in both our cell phones and iPads. I store maps, plans, excursion emails and receipts, and pretty much anything we could need, all digital. Disembark paperwork (mostly done away with now for customs), and the poot and sneeze documents are there where you need them. So, on your next cruise, see how much of all that paper ballast you actually use, and how much you can just carry in your smart phone.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If you must carry a lot of items, putting them in any bag or purse is not the most secure. Fishing shirts and cargo shorts are my usual travel/boarding attire. Pockets everywhere....

(From my iPad, so please forgive the errors)

I use either a plain manila folder or one with pockets. All the printed out materials go into that. And as the trip progresses, all the boarding passes, receipts, etc, go into it.

For my personal documents, I have a leather carrier I got from Wilson Leather. https://www.wilsonsleather.com/product/wilsons+leather+travelware+zip+around+leather+travel+wallet.do?sortby=ourPicks&from=Search

It holds my passport and Global Entry card, ICOV, all my frequent traveler cards. It will hold on going boarding passes and other things.