Never been to the extra $$ restaurants.......

soccermomof4

Are they worth it? We're going on the Vista in June and our friends said they go to the Steakhouse when they cruise. We're going on this cruise with them. We won't be doing everything together - but now I'm thinking. I know my DH would probably enjoy it, I wouldn't be able to eat all the food I hear you get (not even close), DS 25 and DD 14 wouldn't appreciate or enjoy it; DS 20 would enjoy the steak (and that's it), DD 21 would appreciate and enjoy it.

So I am torn. Do we try it? YOLO

Only take those who would appreciate it?

Thoughts? And is it worth it?

Thanks!

I suggest you try it with your family. Actual experience by each will determine if it is really worth it. After our first try before, we now always go to Specialty restaurants at least once in every cruise. We look at it as a little add-on to our cruise fare.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The Vista also has their Italian specialty restaurant, Cucina del Capitano. We had dinner there one night. The food was very good and not quite as pricey as the steakhouse per person. The food is served "family style" in large dishes to pass and share.

We ate at the steakhouse on Vista with a group of 10 and found the service to be excruciatingly slow. My steak was excellent but none of the food arrived very hot.

It is a once a cruise thing for us. I would poll the family and only take the ones that really want to go. It compares to a very nice land steak house not the run of the mill mall quality steak house. Service is slow but that is considered part of the ambiance of the place. If someone wants a fast turn around for their meal this is NOT for them. If they want to dine and leisurely chat with family/friends then this is the place. Hope you get to try it out. When you get home, write a review of the dining experience so we can all share.

We visited the Steakhouse on the Freedom this past Sept and the wife and I agreed that we would visit at least once each cruise going forward. Like the other posters said don't be in a rush because it is not a fast experience.

I would take only those who want to go. After talking my husband into going to the steakhouse, it was not for us. I'm glad we tried it once or I would being going nuts thinking I was missing out on something. The food was good but for us not so much better than the MDR that we would pay extra.

The food is better at the steak house but the atmosphere is also a big deal for us. We need a once a week break from the peopleyness of the MDR. I have compared lobster in the steak house and MDR steakhouse menu lobster (same cruise) and there was no contest. The food is better at the steakhouse. I say try it once and decide for yourself if its a good value.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Forums mobile app

We ALWAYS go to the steakhouse at least once on our cruises. Would never miss the chance to enjoy a fabulous meal with great service and atmosphere.

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Forums mobile app

I couldn’t agree more. We love doing the Steakhouse at least once - more on a longer cruise. I usually order an appetizer, main and dessert. I like the Surf & Turf - best of both worlds [emoji6]. I sometimes only eat part of the dessert.

I used to get a salad as well, but then I was stuffed. You don’t have to order it all. Still comparable to a $100 pp meal on shore JMO

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I have never felt the need to pay extra for food on a cruise. Especially the steakhouse. We are budget-minded travelers so spending another $140+tip is something I wouldn't do. We are going to try JiJi's this time but only because we have $50 OBC and that pays for most of it!

I have never felt the need to pay extra for food on a cruise. Especially the steakhouse. We are budget-minded travelers so spending another $140+tip is something I wouldn't do. We are going to try JiJi's this time but only because we have $50 OBC and that pays for most of it!

JiJi's was amazing! I think I enjoyed the food there more than any other venue on Vista.

(We were on the Transatlantic and went to Steakhouse, Chef's Table, and JiJi's.)

On my last cruise on the Sunshine we got a free meal at Jiji's or Cucina for the 4 of us staying in the suite and then because it was may birthday I got another one for 2. So we went to Cucina as a family and really enjoyed it. Only my oldest son and husband were interested in Jiji's so they went with my birthday coupon. They loved Jiji's.

Are they worth it? We're going on the Vista in June and our friends said they go to the Steakhouse when they cruise. We're going on this cruise with them. We won't be doing everything together - but now I'm thinking. I know my DH would probably enjoy it, I wouldn't be able to eat all the food I hear you get (not even close), DS 25 and DD 14 wouldn't appreciate or enjoy it; DS 20 would enjoy the steak (and that's it), DD 21 would appreciate and enjoy it.

So I am torn. Do we try it? YOLO

Only take those who would appreciate it?

Thoughts? And is it worth it?

Thanks!

If you YOLO, then the answer should be a no brainer! :D

Steakhouse, yes, do it.

Chef's Table..nice a bit pricey, but need to do it once...trust me on this.

Other specialty up charge dining...YMMV

"The food was good but for us not so much better than the MDR"

you have got to be kidding. The food quality and service are not in the same league. The steaks are Ruths Chris quality, charbroiled to perfection. The MDR steaks are baked in an oven and not nearly as tender as the Steakhouse.

We went to the steak house once. We were a group of 6, it was Valentine's day. To begin with, all was well. We got our drinks and food ordered. They started seating groups of 2 and 4. They were served way before we were. They got their appetizers before us and were even served their entrees before we got our appetizers. We mentioned it to a waiter (very nicely). The waiter stated it was policy that smaller groups are served first. WTH? The maitre d brought us a bottle of champagne. ( we DID NOT ask for any compensation). The food was delicious, but doubt we'll ever go back.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Forums mobile app

We went to the steak house once. We were a group of 6, it was Valentine's day. To begin with, all was well. We got our drinks and food ordered. They started seating groups of 2 and 4. They were served way before we were. They got their appetizers before us and were even served their entrees before we got our appetizers. We mentioned it to a waiter (very nicely). The waiter stated it was policy that smaller groups are served first. WTH? The maitre d brought us a bottle of champagne. ( we DID NOT ask for any compensation). The food was delicious, but doubt we'll ever go back.

I can only theorize that this must have something to do with limited space to prepare meals. Perhaps they wanted to ensure they could cook everyone's meal and serve together?

I wouldn't mind enjoying some free champagne while I wait for my meal. It's not like I have something else to do. ;)

Thanks everyone -- we haven't decided and may not until we're onboard. Some of us aren't huge steak lovers (it's okay) others are but none are connoisseurs. I am budget conscious like some of you -- although it's only $30 But there are 6 of us. Anything we do is expensive hahaaa. Totally wishy washy huh!

I would like to try something new but can think of other ways to spend my money -- like excursions. I think Chefs Table looks awesome albeit more $$

Anyway, Thanks for the input. It will probably be one of those spur of the moment decisions. Just wanted thoughts on if you enjoyed it. For the most part, with a few exceptions, it sounds like a lot of you do enjoy it. I'll let you know if we go.

I can only theorize that this must have something to do with limited space to prepare meals. Perhaps they wanted to ensure they could cook everyone's meal and serve together?

I wouldn't mind enjoying some free champagne while I wait for my meal. It's not like I have something else to do. ;)

I dont know the reasoning for doing things that way, maybe someone on that restaurant biz knows. Other than that, we had a nice meal. The champagne was a nice unexpected treat.

We have gone a few times and always had a great time, nice dinner. I always invite my daughter to go with us, she always declines because she’s a vegetarian and has no interest in the steakhouse. My son always goes with because he loves the food. I say you ask your kids who wants to go and only take those.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

JiJi's was amazing! I think I enjoyed the food there more than any other venue on Vista.

(We were on the Transatlantic and went to Steakhouse, Chef's Table, and JiJi's.)

I agree! We also did Steakhouse, Chefs table and JiJi's on Vista. We always love both the Steakhouse and Chef's Table but JiJi's was our favorite.