Safety on river cruising

Mrs Clooney

can anyone tell me if river cruisers screen or X-ray your luggage ,like ocean cruises do..

There’s a lot of talk about security now on river cruises and it seems better getting on and off at ports, but I wondered about the initial boarding

Thanks

Sorry Mrs Clooney - that was a reasonable question and deserved a reasonable answer. Which is: river cruises have until recently had almost no security apparatus -- and ASAIK there have yet to be any security issues. The ships are very small, so staff get to know the guests very quickly and strangers would stand out. Also because the ships are small there is no room for x-ray stations -- and because most of the river cruise lines allow you to bring alcohol on board at will, there is no need to screen for that reason! In the last year, river cruise lines are starting to add more security, e.g. locked gates at the pier that require your room card or other measures -- but the threat is much less than on an ocean cruise so the security will (hopefully) always be at a lesser (and therefore less restricting to honest passengers) level.

Sorry Mrs Clooney - that was a reasonable question and deserved a reasonable answer. Which is: river cruises have until recently had almost no security apparatus -- and ASAIK there have yet to be any security issues. The ships are very small, so staff get to know the guests very quickly and strangers would stand out. Also because the ships are small there is no room for x-ray stations -- and because most of the river cruise lines allow you to bring alcohol on board at will, there is no need to screen for that reason! In the last year, river cruise lines are starting to add more security, e.g. locked gates at the pier that require your room card or other measures -- but the threat is much less than on an ocean cruise so the security will (hopefully) always be at a lesser (and therefore less restricting to honest passengers) level.

Thank you Jazz

I appreciate your kind answer

Karen.

Was just on Uniworld's Joie de Vivre. At check in our pictures were taken and put on our room key. Whenever we left the boat we swiped the card. Upon return, we had to show the card to the security person on shore. Then when walked onboard, we swiped the card again. Since it was December, we were also greeted with hot clothes and a warm drink. This was our 24th river cruise and have never felt unsafe in any country.

We were in Paris during the Paris Accord meeting and one day were prevented from going back to the boat. Finally when the tour returned, the National police allowed us to walk down to the boat.

Please try river cruising, but beware it can become addicting. Pat:)

Was just on Uniworld's Joie de Vivre. At check in our pictures were taken and put on our room key. Whenever we left the boat we swiped the card. Upon return, we had to show the card to the security person on shore. Then when walked onboard, we swiped the card again. Since it was December, we were also greeted with hot clothes and a warm drink. This was our 24th river cruise and have never felt unsafe in any country.

We were in Paris during the Paris Accord meeting and one day were prevented from going back to the boat. Finally when the tour returned, the National police allowed us to walk down to the boat.

Please try river cruising, but beware it can become addicting. Pat:)

Thanks Pat,

I know River cruising is addictive lol. I did one on UNIWORLD duchess...fantastic trip and have booked an evergreen double for this year..

I was just wondering about the security. I’m not concerned...just querying...

Many thanks. Mrs C. ( I wish!)