Tipping

gdemshar

We are new to NCL (Normally we cruise on Disney, but wanted to try something different). I noticed that on the site, you can add pre-paid gratuities. I know that much, but we are in The Haven Owner's Suite on the Getaway coming this July. My question is, do those pre-paid gratuities include the butler? Thanks!

If they are not included, how much is a good amount a day per person?

That is up to you, the amount of service, and the quality of service that you receive.

Nobody can tell you what is too much or too little.

However, this thread will soon be filled with people giving amounts which you might find to be too high or too low. Don't let what others do influence you.

So if I’m understanding you correctly, the pre-paid includes everything else (ex. Dining, room steward, etc), but not the butler and concierge. So, tip them depending on how much we feel is right and how much we use them, correct?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

So if I’m understanding you correctly, the pre-paid includes everything else (ex. Dining, room steward, etc), but not the butler and concierge. So, tip them depending on how much we feel is right and how much we use them, correct?

This is a very discussed topic on here.

It is a personal decision.

Some people do not like to tip at all (I believe they are in the minority)

Some people are extremely generous.

I believe I am more the norm from the numbers people are posting that I see.

I stay in that type of suite and tip $10pp per day for the butler and

$10pp per day for the room steward (yes

i know this is extra) and about half that for the concierge.

I adjust the amounts upwards if they have done something extrodinary

for me like when I sailed with my grandchildren and the room steward set

up the fold out couch in a super fantastic way.

That is correct.

Correct!

The DSC does not include the kids crew staff either. So make sure you tip them as well if you leave children with them. Base it on how much time your kids are there. When our two were small (10 years ago), they spent every possible minute there and we usually gave the staff $100 or $150 at the end of the week.

If they are not included, how much is a good amount a day per person?

I always answer this question the same.

Butler: $10-$15 per person in the room per day ($10 x 2 persons in the room x 7 days)

Concierge: $5-$10 per person in the room per day

Room Steward (extra for your large room): $5-$10 per person in the room per day

Jumping in here with tipping question. Boarding the NCL Star on the 19th. Anyone know if tips to butler and concierge can be charged to your shipboard account?

Thanks

yes, just go the the front desk and ask them, they will give you a receipt that you can hand to them to show the tip

There is a BIG difference between someone posting telling you what to tip and those, myself included, who tell what we tip and what services we use. As a reference. Then you decide for yourself.

Great concierges, like Hanno and Karin G. and great butlers like Maxi and Jennifer can enhance your vacation to your specifications. And turn a good cruise into a great one.

I love tipping well. It means those great folks earned it by making my trip special.

I tip in line with what others have stated. Prob even more to the concierge than others. But because we appreciated all the extras. I think the great concierges are mind-readers.

OP, tipping is very personal and you should tip keeping in mind, what services you ask for, how they are rendered and, of course, your budget. Whatever you decide to give the Butler and Concierge, they will be appreciative.

After saying that, here is what I do. I start with $10 per day per person for the Butler and $5 per day per person for the Concierge. I then add or subtract based on the services given and how well they were given. Some will feel this is too high and some will feel it is too low, but as I said, it is personal and everyone has to do what they feel is right.

I also start with $10/pp pd for butler, $5/pppd for concierge. There’s an overwhelming chance that you will receive excellent service from these two. If two in the room I typically give the room steward an extra $50/week. I’ve never had a bad room steward and tip the steward the same regardless of what room I’m in.

Under the faq section for your upcoming cruise it explains the prepaid dsc. Basically it says the dsc is a discretionary charge (basically the basic tips) and is split with the room steward, behind scenes staff, complementary dining venues staff.. The bartenders, spa, concierge, butler and kids program staff are excluded from the dsc so should be tipped separately according to services received. Speciality dining, bar tab and spa treatments will be charged an additional 18% gratuity/service. The gratuity/service charge on the dining and beverage package is already paid when you selected your perks and paid your final payment. Say you get a massage, eat in speciality... when presented with your bill it will have the 18% automatically already on there and then there’s a line for additional tips. Ncl’s website clearly states that you certainly don’t need to feel obligated to give more but that staff are welcome to accept extra cash tips for exemplary service. I certainly don’t add 20% onto a dinner bill on top of the 18% gratuity/service however In the past I have inadvertently added it onto massage bill because I didn’t notice that they already had automatically added the gratuity/service.

The staff who are going above and beyond will definitely appreciate a few extra $ cash tips here and there.

There’s a couple extra people you may feel inclined to give extra to that went above and beyond for your sailing. It might be the hostess that seats you for breakfast each morning, or a couple of the dining room servers. The Haven courtyard butler may be going out of his way to make your vacation great. I tip those people on the last day or two and tell them thanks for making my vacation special. I’m not on vacation to remember to be carrying around a wad of cash. It’s much simpler for me to just give it out or the end. Nobody is expecting you to be showering them with bills for everything they do for you. bartender will definitely take care of you with a couple cash tips here and there. Everyone else I pretty much save for the day before we debark.