Alaska princess with kids

Thecat3902

I swear I cannot make up my mind. Just recently we booked a trip for next June to Europe with MSC. Now we are rethinking and possibly going to change to Alaska. We recently saw what princess does on their Alaskan cruise and our kids now want to go. How many kids do you typically find on an Alaskan cruise in June? I know that he weather is too cold for the pool so do they offer enough to keep the kids entertained? My kids do not spend too much time in the clubs we just want to make sure that there are enough family activities that they will like. Anyone been to Alaska on princess with their kids? What did you do during sea days with the kids?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We have done many Alaska cruises with our two kids ranging in age from 1 year up to 10 years old! They have always LOVED the kids clubs, which is why we keep sailing with Princess. You won't find too many activities for them outside of the kids clubs (obviously they are able to go to anything offered onboard but it's not "family" specific as such). The park rangers do their presentations for the kids in the clubs. Other than going to the kids clubs, my kids enjoyed the game shows, trivia, karaoke, dancing and they even swam in the pools a few times (sometimes it is actually quite hot in the sun!) Alaska is quite port intensive so you won't have too many sea days to worry about - the scenery is so beautiful on the sea days that even the kids are fascinated!

Early June, not too many kids onboard but once school gets out, there will be quite a few.

I wouldn't be so sure that it is too cold to use the pools. We've been on several Alaskan cruises, a couple of which that were cold and rainy ... but there were a couple where we never put our jackets on once but I did use an entire tube of sunblock. It can be very beautiful up there ... no telling when that is going to happen this far ahead of time, though.

Anyhow, I would choose a ship that has an indoor pool and the kids will have a ball in there. The Star, Golden, Island, Coral and Grand all have indoor pool areas ... are double decker with ping pong tables on the upper level (to the best of my recollection). The Ruby, Crown, Emerald do not have indoor pools ... but not sure they are all doing Alaskan itineraries in the near future ... I think a couple of them are, though.

There is a lot of fun stuff to do including the naturalist talks, viewing of the glacier or even whale watching right from the ship's decks. And as mentioned, there is ping pong, a basketball hoop / half court, some with a mini-golf course, shuffleboard, etc. In the piazza, they sometimes have a ring toss or horse race game, jugglers, etc.

I think they will have a great time up in Alaska and you just can't beat that scenery. JUST CAN'T BEAT IT!

My sons' first cruise was to Alaska on Princess. They were 10 and 12 at the time. They spent a lot of time in the pools and hot tubs - both indoor and outdoor. The weather was variable. They made lots of new friends that they hung out with at the pool. They loved dressing for dinner, especially for formal night. That cruise was in early August. No rain - very lucky.

Fast forward a few years and I was cruising with 9 and 12 year old girls in mid-June. No rain again. We all came home sunburned! Lots of time at the pool on that cruise.

Both trips, the kids had a great time. They spent very little time at the kids' clubs.