Does NCL cancel cruises often?

Larlin

The option of the Pearl 9 day is now not available. So our option is the Bliss 5 day leaving Sept.30th. Waiting on hold to find out how much more it will be. Doesn't seem my category is available that I booked on the Pearl. Hope they offer a decent deal as I had all 5 picks on the Pearl from booking back on Black Friday.

No oceanview available so I was offered an inside with the drink package for $4,000. I don't think so! What a joke. I had all of the options with the Ultimate Drink Package, 3 Speciality Dining, Internet Package and the $50 port excursions also extra guest free (wasn't using this) so not sure what it's called.

What a great way to make new customers never want to sail with you again!

The option of the Pearl 9 day is now not available. So our option is the Bliss 5 day leaving Sept.30th. Waiting on hold to find out how much more it will be. Doesn't seem my category is available that I booked on the Pearl. Hope they offer a decent deal as I had all 5 picks on the Pearl from booking back on Black Friday.

Wait. They’ve rescinded the offer, or they still don’t have the itinerary worked out?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Wait. They’ve rescinded the offer, or they still don’t have the itinerary worked out?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I was told it's no longer an option.

I said that the Pearl has to go somewhere. It can't magically move to the other side of the country.

My guess is they will wait until after the 22 nd and then open up it's itinerary so we are all stuck cancelling and then it will not have all the great perks we booked under. They won't be able to look up what we had booked by then. I had all 5 of the Free at Sea offers.

This was our first time using Norwegian. Not a good start. The new itinerary really stinks because none of the 10-day cruises are a round trip out of New York. Our original cruise was September 18–28 out of New York. My wife really does not like flying, which is why the round trip was so enticing. Do you believe there is anyway I can get Norwegian to pay, at least partially, for a trip back from Quebec City to New York? I find it unacceptable that I would have to pay all of this extra money to get back to the US.

Can't believe that they made them from being round trip to one way cruises.

same reason why i booked the September 28 to October 8 cruise. oddly enough, Princess Cruises seems to have a better price and deal for the 7 Canada cruise with a similar itinerary to the new 7 Day cruise Norwegian Gem in October. While it is less days compare to the original 10, i do not like the way how NCL is handing this. I booked last year to lock in at the old prices (gratuity, dining package,etc) and to get the latitude bonus points for booking 9+ months in advance and this happens..it stinks!!

They should honor the perks you had from when you first booked. They did the same thing to the people who had their cruises cancelled after the hurricanes this past fall.

i feel you. i on the sept 28 gem canada cruise, that too got cancel. I booked that cruise last year before they changed the latitude program were you no longer get points for booking 9+ months in advance.. It sucks not getting those points, it also a pain that they increase the gratuity for the drinks/dinning packages. I feel like they should of honor all of my original pricing instead of either moving to a new book at higher prices or get a refund.

That's Norwegian for ya', nickel and dimed.

Fees for this fees for that. I know other cruise lines have fees but NCL are just some of the most outrageous and stupid ones.

I'm sorry that they ended up eliminating the round trip cruise from New York to Quebec....NCL was the only line that did it, in ten days. So now, if you want to go all the way to Quebec and return, you need to do a much longer, "back to back".

Or...switch brands to Celebrity Summit....(14 day round trip from Bayonne);)

Here's my experience.

1. Booked the Pearl for a January 2015 cruise. NCL cancelled it for a charter cruise. We switched to a Princess cruise and have done many more since then.

2. NCL converted three 11-day Mexican Riviera cruises (RT Los Angeles) into two 14-day Panama Canal cruises. There goes the round trip from LA. (We don't fly.)

3. Booked a B2B on Gem: 10-day RT Canada-New England followed by 15-day repo to New Orleans. NCL decided to replace the Gem with BA on the repo, leaving a day earlier. So we switched to the 10/8/18 Gem, which was another 10-day RT. Now, that cruise has been converted to a 12-day Quebec to NYC. We've booked the replacement cruise but also booked a B2B on Regal Princess (7-day Canada-New England). Once we review our transportation options, we'll decide which cruise(s) we'll take.

I've always considered myself a "Norwegian" but no longer. We're on a Princess cruise right now. I compared prices with a comparable NCL cruise on Escape. We have a huge forward facing mini-suite for $400 less than an aft balcony on Escape. And Princess has never changed a ship on us.

Here's my experience.

1. Booked the Pearl for a January 2015 cruise. NCL cancelled it for a charter cruise. We switched to a Princess cruise and have done many more since then.

2. NCL converted three 11-day Mexican Riviera cruises (RT Los Angeles) into two 14-day Panama Canal cruises. There goes the round trip from LA. (We don't fly.)

3. Booked a B2B on Gem: 10-day RT Canada-New England followed by 15-day repo to New Orleans. NCL decided to replace the Gem with BA on the repo, leaving a day earlier. So we switched to the 10/8/18 Gem, which was another 10-day RT. Now, that cruise has been converted to a 12-day Quebec to NYC. We've booked the replacement cruise but also booked a B2B on Regal Princess (7-day Canada-New England). Once we review our transportation options, we'll decide which cruise(s) we'll take.

I've always considered myself a "Norwegian" but no longer. We're on a Princess cruise right now. I compared prices with a comparable NCL cruise on Escape. We have a huge forward facing mini-suite for $400 less than an aft balcony on Escape. And Princess has never changed a ship on us.

Wow! What a mess and hassle. sorry for your experiences. That's why I am NOT loyal to any line. To avoid dissapointments at times like this.

We've booked the replacement cruise but also booked a B2B on Regal Princess (7-day Canada-New England). Once we review our transportation options, we'll decide which cruise(s) we'll take.

i am going to hijack this thread a bit: I just booked the Regal Princess Canada cruise too for October 6. this will be my first princess cruise for me.

Pricing between the Norwegian Escape and Regal Princess was about the same but Regal seemed to have better perks at booking compare to Norwegian.

i am going to hijack this thread a bit: I just booked the Regal Princess Canada cruise too for October 6. this will be my first princess cruise for me.

Pricing between the Norwegian Escape and Regal Princess was about the same but Regal seemed to have better perks at booking compare to Norwegian.

You will enjoy Princess!! Haven't been on Regal but will be on Royal Princess when she moves to California. Beautiful ships.

We have also been let down by NCL as we had booked the Pearl leaving vancouver on 1 oct 2018. We have our flights booked from dublin to Vancouver and San Francisco back to dublin which are useless - so have been left high and dry. Promised a phone call back today but no communication from them. My sister is booked on same cruise too. We are both returning customers - $25 dollars for changing with the bumped up price is an insult.

I'm sorry that they ended up eliminating the round trip cruise from New York to Quebec....NCL was the only line that did it, in ten days. So now, if you want to go all the way to Quebec and return, you need to do a much longer, "back to back".

);)

Not anymore. MSC has just come out with a 10-day round trip NY/Quebec itinerary loaded with perks in Oct 2019. New ship. Good price too. I booked. All I can say is NCL's loss is MSC's gain.

Not anymore. MSC has just come out with a 10-day round trip NY/Quebec itinerary loaded with perks in Oct 2019. New ship. Good price too. I booked. All I can say is NCL's loss is MSC's gain.

i just check MSC. They have two 10 day cruises, only one cruise goes to Quebec and that that is on the Oct 8. The other 10 day cruise only goes to places like Boston, Halifax, Saint John, Sydney..Hmmm...

This was our first time using Norwegian. Not a good start. The new itinerary really stinks because none of the 10-day cruises are a round trip out of New York. Our original cruise was September 18–28 out of New York. My wife really does not like flying, which is why the round trip was so enticing. Do you believe there is anyway I can get Norwegian to pay, at least partially, for a trip back from Quebec City to New York? I find it unacceptable that I would have to pay all of this extra money to get back to the US.

NCL is NOT going to pay for any part of your airfare. If you're original booking had the perk of "air and hotel credits" AND you book those through NCL, you'll get some credit towards the air and/or hotel.

For us, this change has more than doubled our airfare. The dates we wanted were mid-Sept (as that is the best time to, hopefully, see the leaves changing on the US East Coast). The new cruise that are departing in mid-Sept is only a 9 day cruise. We are considering the 11 day on Sept 8th. We would have been happy with the 12 day at the same price as what we paid; however, it's departure date is Oct 8th, making the trip a good bit colder than we would like.

My guess is that we'll cancel. And hesitate to book NCL again.

I might have to give them a try....especially since they will honor my Platinum Plus NCL status as "Black", the top of their loyalty program...even NCL partner's Oceania and Regent won't due that.....

After reading the letter from NCL I would have to be on the phone immediately as there is no mention of any compensation for independently purchased travel insurance which has to be booked within fifteen days of the initial booking.

depending on the travel insurance policy, it can be non-refundable but the policy can be moved to a future cruise

When i contacted my insurance company, they told me my policy was not refundable and i need to submit various proofs to move it to a new cruise

We were also booked on the Gem Canada/New England. Had chosen it because it was round trip New York, left out of Manhattan so would be convenient to take Amtrak, and it went further into Canada. We decided to not take one of the rescheduled Gem cruises as getting back from Quebec City would be more expensive and no direct flights to where we live. Was not thrilled that the hours to call for rebooking did not include the weekend so I had to call while at work. Was put on hold for a bit before could talk to a rep. We are going to take one of the Canada/New England cruises on the Escape. Have not been on a ship that big so hope it goes OK as I have read many reviews of the good/bad of the Escape before deciding to rebook, (Had researched other cruise lines but either more expensive, were also one way, or left out of Brooklyn.) I had looked at the Escape deck plans before calling which was a good thing as the rep picked the room based upon the general requirements that I gave to her about category and general location. I was also able to look online at the deck plan while talking to her so was OK with the room location after she picked it. While we got a $25 onboard credit for the rebooking, we lost the promos that we had for the Gem and had to go with the current promos for the Escape. We rebooked Amtrak. There was no rebooking fee but the it was more expensive because of the change in the dates and Amtrak changed its senior rate policy since we had booked so I was no longer eligible for the senior rate. We also changed the hotel for the night before. My husband used points for the original booking so we hope they get restored. Lesson learned to not book travel/hotel to closer in time to departure date.

I’m guessing this has to do with the Canadian Government’s new speed limits to protect Right Whales in the Gulf of St. Lawrence that changed schedules.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree, what does the word often mean in this case? All lines cancel for various reasons from time to time and yes, it is a pain for the cruiser I am sure, but I also can think of a couple lines that are more guilty of this.

Would you mind sharing the lines? If not I would understand. I just wish to hedge my bets for future cruises. True, one can never know and the cruise company has the right to cancel any cruises but I would like a better chance at actually going. Over 25 years ago we took our first cruise on a small line which is now non-existent and this is the first time we experienced this - guess we have been very lucky!