Backpacks

Butterbean1000

I will need to use a backpack as my carry on this cruise. I have no idea what to look for in a backpack. A lot of them seem to be for lap tops. Any suggestions on a reasonably priced backpack?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Forums mobile app

Not to be funny, but just go to the store, and buy one. You have thousands of different ones on the market.

That's like asking for a suggestion for a new car - way too many options that are user-dependent.

How big are the things you are likely to pack?

Will you need separate compartments for certain objects, or are you happy to have everything together?

Will you use it elsewhere, ever, or just lugging stuff onto/off a cruise ship? Will you use it when going ashore at a port?

Practically any "school" backpack would probably do you well - the specialization comes in things like the Laptop-compartment feature, or a drink holder pocket, an extra padded compartment or compartments for DSLR cameras, or extra straps across your chest/abdomen for support while long distance hiking, etc.

What are you schlepping with you? How big does it need to be?

Be careful of putting your wallet into the front pocket. On your back it’s perfect opportunity for Pick pockets etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Depends on what you want. I spent months shopping for my current backpack. One of the things I wanted was the ability to fit my 17 inch laptop. But a lot of times I use it without my laptop. This is the one I settled in on. I've been using it for 2 years and I love it.

https://www.amazon.com/Samsonite-Luggage-Tectonic-Backpack-Black/dp/B00AIJ57OW/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1515695298&sr=8-4&keywords=samsonite+backpack

I think I have 8 backpacks, from a frame based one for multi day backpacking trips to a small one that easily straps onto the back seat of my Motorcycle. I have 2 from REI, one from Eddie Bauer, 2 from LL Bean and 3 from North Face. All are different sizes and capabilities. The one i use most is a North Face Cirrius, not sure if they even make it anymore, but it decent size, with several compartments and accommodates my laptop from work.

Try Backpacks.com! https://www.backpacks.com/

I need one that will hold what i usually put in a carry on. My electronics, cosmetics, meds, wine, etc.

One thing I did when I was backpack shopping is watched a lot of youtube videos. People review backpacks on there.

search youtube for what's in my backpack

Not to be funny, but just go to the store, and buy one. You have thousands of different ones on the market.
I'm post surgical, i cannot just go to a store to look. This is why i asked for suggestions. I'm shopping on line and its all overwhelming because i dont know exactly to look for. Which is why i asked for suggestions.

I'm post surgical, i cannot just go to a store to look. This is why i asked for suggestions. I'm shopping on line and its all overwhelming because i dont know exactly to look for. Which is why i asked for suggestions.

Sorry you are in such a condition, but honestly, you might be best, in this case, to wait until you can actually see a collection of backpacks at a local store to get a sense of what they offer.

I've been using backpacks since my elementary or maybe early high school days, which is quite a handful of decades ago now, and although I can buy a backpack online, I still tend to go to a store to look/feel the quality (especially zippers and the shoulder strap joint areas!) and rummage through the pockets/compartments.

If you buy online, make sure you buy from somewhere you can easily return it if it doesn't meet your needs for some reason. For example, you might receive it and find it is way bigger/smaller than you imagined, even if you did look at the dimensions available online (which sometimes are wrong or mis-represented).

I have used one like this for a while now. It's narrow, so it doesn't hold as much as some. But for the price (yes the price is below $30) it's about as good as it gets. It's more durable than the price would indicate.

It's not a high-tech bag. I wouldn't take it on a backpacking trip. It doesn't hold much more than a standard brief case might hold. It's the price that got me hooked.

If the link doesn't come through, search for "tactical rucksack"

https://www.amazon.com/Military-Tactical-TOPQSC-Waterproof-Expandable/dp/B01N07BIJR/ref=sr_1_39?ie=UTF8&qid=1515702397&sr=8-39&keywords=rucksack

Look at JanSport Superbreak and JanSport Big Student backpacks. My girls have used these styles for years. The Superbreak has a single large pocket and smaller pocket. The Big Student adds another large pocket. The links show some colors. There are others on the site for a few more dollars. Prints show less dirt than solids ;)

https://www.ebags.com/product/jansport/superbreak/1?productid=1341491

https://www.ebags.com/product/jansport/big-student-backpack-discontinued-colors/323500?productid=10590497

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

How much room do you need? just for the laptop? try the savvy sleeve or going my way backpack from 31 gifts thirtyone.**com/lisainman.

I love the savvy sleeve because it is classy and I can fit it into my Cindy tote. It fits my 15in laptop and still has room for a folder or 2 and have a well organized office on the go. Just a thought.

you also would be able to order online and have it shopped directly to the house with a full 90 day satisfaction guarantee. you can even get it monogramed for no more than $10.

Sorry you are in such a condition, but honestly, you might be best, in this case, to wait until you can actually see a collection of backpacks at a local store to get a sense of what they offer.

I've been using backpacks since my elementary or maybe early high school days, which is quite a handful of decades ago now, and although I can buy a backpack online, I still tend to go to a store to look/feel the quality (especially zippers and the shoulder strap joint areas!) and rummage through the pockets/compartments.

If you buy online, make sure you buy from somewhere you can easily return it if it doesn't meet your needs for some reason. For example, you might receive it and find it is way bigger/smaller than you imagined, even if you did look at the dimensions available online (which sometimes are wrong or mis-represented).

She could shop online, find one she likes, try it out in the store, then buy it online. For instance when I picked out my samsonite backpack online. I went to a samsonite store to check it out in person. No way was I going to pay the $100+tax they wanted for it in the store when I could get it for $60 on amazon.

I think i might have found one on Amazon, an Outlander. It's light weight, no need to be computer compatible. Thank you all for the suggestions. What ever i get will just have to do. Being on crutches, i can't pull a carry on.

Could you use a knee scooter?