iPhone 6 settings for cruising Breakaway

collboy

I struggle with settings on every cruise. We will use iConcierge, pick up and return texts, I am Canadian and may have a US and might consider purchasing a Caribbean package

Please comment on:

Airplane mode - on or off?

WiFi - on for iConcierge?

Bluetooth - off - unless I'm using a speaker

Cellular Data - off?

Also make sure you turn off auto updates for apps. I learned hard way on Breakaway with data vs time counter. Used whole plan the first overnight when apps updated automatically without even being logged in!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Also make sure you turn off auto updates for apps. I learned hard way on Breakaway with data vs time counter. Used whole plan the first overnight when apps updated automatically without even being logged in!

If you are not logged in than how did you get charged data?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm only guessing but if they happen to have a wifi plan and if they have phone logged on you'll get apps pushing which can eat up your plan if on a mb size plan.

Both iOS and Android devices have background data/update settings, some are related to iCloud & upload functions (i.e. when Android's data saver functions, or iPhone's system update options are not disabled or turned off ... depending on the OS's level)

It is possible to be logged into the WiFi inTERnet with the user's ID/password, and stayed connected as those upload run quietly & silently in the background, after logging on. The best way to deal with this - I've noticed that on the Breakaway in years passed - after done using the WiFi data to read email, do Facetime or Skype, checking news & weather, etc. put the device into full Airplane mode first, for a brief moment ...

Then, turn back on WiFi (roaming cellular should be disabled & off for 95% of the users on a cruise, unless you are familiar with your device) In theory - you will need to manually log in again with the password & userID. Pay attention to the usage meter, it is shown each time you log in and log off before it is disconnected.

This backdoor and/or loophole, is the possible explanation for the once known iMessage/iText feature that some users reported to be successful in getting SMS thru, without paying - with certain http(s) "ports" open & not blocked. If anyone noticed their SMS or Text Messaging "headers" get thru without being logged into their account while on the ship, this is the partial reason behind it.

As NCL upgrade their server hardware, systems and Apps, the problem being somewhere between the devices and their onboard system - spoke to the iCafe "manager" on duty onboard the ship - who attempted to blame the hardware and my configuration/setup ... concluded that it's useless to discuss further, did what I had to do to take care of the matter on my end (it happened

Both iOS and Android devices have background data/update settings, some are related to iCloud & upload functions (i.e. when Android's data saver functions, or iPhone's system update options are not disabled or turned off ... depending on the OS's level)

It is possible to be logged into the WiFi inTERnet with the user's ID/password, and stayed connected as those upload run quietly & silently in the background, after logging on. The best way to deal with this - I've noticed that on the Breakaway in years passed - after done using the WiFi data to read email, do Facetime or Skype, checking news & weather, etc. put the device into full Airplane mode first, for a brief moment ...

Then, turn back on WiFi (roaming cellular should be disabled & off for 95% of the users on a cruise, unless you are familiar with your device) In theory - you will need to manually log in again with the password & userID. Pay attention to the usage meter, it is shown each time you log in and log off before it is disconnected.

This backdoor and/or loophole, is the possible explanation for the once known iMessage/iText feature that some users reported to be successful in getting SMS thru, without paying - with certain http(s) "ports" open & not blocked. If anyone noticed their SMS or Text Messaging "headers" get thru without being logged into their account while on the ship, this is the partial reason behind it.

As NCL upgrade their server hardware, systems and Apps, the problem being somewhere between the devices and their onboard system - spoke to the iCafe "manager" on duty onboard the ship - who attempted to blame the hardware and my configuration/setup ... concluded that it's useless to discuss further, did what I had to do to take care of the matter on my end (it happened

Except the poster that I quoted said “ WITHOUT being logged in”. That’s where my question came from.

I'm only guessing but if they happen to have a wifi plan and if they have phone logged on you'll get apps pushing which can eat up your plan if on a mb size plan.

If you read the post that I quoted they said “ WITHOUT being logged in”.

Except the poster that I quoted said “ WITHOUT being logged in”. That’s where my question came from.

If they even logged in once earlier during the cruise, even if they think they had disconnected using loffoff .com - the system stay online with the background functions.

Try this on the next BA cruise, logoff on the iPhone, then logon from a different device - you might just see a warning that you are connected and whether you want to switch & drop the other one (iPhone) & use the current device (Nexus).

If not, then it's been fixed for good - bugs gone & loophole shut. Toward the end of our last cruise with about 200 MB remaining, it transferred about 50 MB with zero warning while on WiFi inTRAnet only, but I was really still connected to the inTERnet. This is tricky especially with the iConcierge App running, as the optional calling & text do not need to use WiFi internet.

Best insurance, power down the device & restart to continue, it is a pain if on a limited plan.

via Nexus 5X Oreo 8.0 w Tapatalk, VPN secured.

If they even logged in once earlier during the cruise, even if they think they had disconnected using loffoff .com - the system stay online with the background functions.

Try this on the next BA cruise, logoff on the iPhone, then logon from a different device - you might just see a warning that you are connected and whether you want to switch & drop the other one (iPhone) & use the current device (Nexus).

If not, then it's been fixed for good - bugs gone & loophole shut. Toward the end of our last cruise with about 200 MB remaining, it transferred about 50 MB with zero warning while on WiFi inTRAnet only, but I was really still connected to the inTERnet. This is tricky especially with the iConcierge App running, as the optional calling & text do not need to use WiFi internet.

Best insurance, power down the device & restart to continue, it is a pain if on a limited plan.

via Nexus 5X Oreo 8.0 w Tapatalk, VPN secured.

Are you saying that someone can logoff and still be charged data? Or are you saying they can “think” they logged off when they really didn’t? Cause if it is the first, then there is a serious issue. And I have never experienced that.

I’d like to confirm that the app updates which drained my plan definitely happened overnight and I was definitely logged out of the data plan with counters reflecting that. Internet Manager noted that this happened all the time and reinstated that data. Subsequent trips on Breakaway with disabling auto updates prior to boarding were an easy fix. It does make sense that this could have been related to the “hole” in System that allowed for iMessage working without login. Some have reported that this “hole” has been fixed on Breakaway. However, I’m not taking the chance and will disable auto updates prior to next boarding!