Bad weather

sfnew2sail

i know it’s still a ways out, but the 15 day forecast for our cruise in the Caribbean shows 60-80%rain and thunderstorms everyday. Also 10-20 mph north winds. I’m not worried about the weather, but my husband is. He’s afraid of getting seasick. We usually take Bonine everyday. Will he be ok? Or should we look into another preventative for him?

My line of work requires weather analysis in order to perform my job. Anything beyond a 5 day forecast is voodoo.

A few things to consider. First one is to check the weather forecast once you’re much closer to sail date. Don’t be surprised if it changes dramatically between now and then. Second is that, in the Caribbean, there’s ALWAYS a chance of rain or thunderstorms simply because the ingredients for that type of weather are almost always present in that region. But even if it does rain, it may only be for a few hours and then back to sunny skies. Finally, don’t torture yourself over things that you have zero control over.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It always rains in the Caribbean. I went to school in the Caribbean, and a 5 minute thunderstorm (literally) is a common occurrence. If you happen to be on an excursion, or lounging on the beach, or soaking up the sun on deck, and it starts raining, there's a very good chance the sun will be back within the hour.

My husband gets a script for the ear patch meds for motion sickness. Starts wearing one about 24 hrs before boarding ship and then 1 or 2 more following that one and he is good for remainder of week) We also carry plenty of Bonine with us as well as some hard ginger candy just in case.

Hi

A chance of rain every day does not mean rain all day, it also means there is a chance of no rain every day. These storms pass very quickly when they occur and an hour later you would not know that it had rained.

Your husband should certainly speak with his doctor to determine what would be best to treat his symptoms. Once he finds something that will treat him in the worst of situations, he won't hesitate to cruise again.

hope this helps

have a great cruise

My line of work requires weather analysis in order to perform my job. Anything beyond a 5 day forecast is voodoo.

A few things to consider. First one is to check the weather forecast once you’re much closer to sail date. Don’t be surprised if it changes dramatically between now and then. Second is that, in the Caribbean, there’s ALWAYS a chance of rain or thunderstorms simply because the ingredients for that type of weather are almost always present in that region. But even if it does rain, it may only be for a few hours and then back to sunny skies. Finally, don’t torture yourself over things that you have zero control over.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

This.

The meds should help, not worrying will help a whole lot more, IMHO.

i know it’s still a ways out, but the 15 day forecast for our cruise in the Caribbean shows 60-80%rain and thunderstorms everyday. Also 10-20 mph north winds. I’m not worried about the weather, but my husband is. He’s afraid of getting seasick. We usually take Bonine everyday. Will he be ok? Or should we look into another preventative for him?

Take the meds, stock up on green apples from the buffet, better to be prepared!:D

It's always the same forecast.

I know you won't like my reply, but just to let you know that if and there's always a big IF with the weather, you have cold fronts come down from the states to MX. As we did the last day of five this wk.on the Fantasy . We had 69 mph winds, cold rain, and cabins, no heat, heavy seas, and major seasickness in the halls. We had a carpet blower on our deck, just off the atrium, that was there,different spots for 48 hrs. I personally do the eastern Carib. Mostly, but took a chance on western and everything was great till we started back. Will not be chancing that again! But good luck and do as others have suggested above.

Just got home from the same cruise on the fantasy - wore pajamas under my jeans, undershirt, T-shirt, sweatshirt and hoodie our return to port day at Sea. Consoled ourselves with Sea day brunch fest, room service, and liquid fortification adult beverages. It helped.

We were on liberty over new years. Extremely rough seas the last night. I actually found that really rough didn't bother me as much as basically nothing level motion sickness wise. Even though I wasn't terribly bothered I took a bonnine the last day and it made a huge difference. Sea bands made an immediate difference as well. And yeah. Ignore that forecast until a couple of days before

Well I am so prone to motion sickness. I can't watch 3D movies. Can't ride certain carnival/amusement park rides..But I take my motion sick meds ( OTC stuff from Walmart) and I do quite well. Plus there is so much stuff to do onboard that I'm not thinking about/dwelling on the weather. The worst we ever had it was a trip back from the Bahamas into Jacksonville and the ship was like a seesaw...but the meds helped so I wasn't ill and I did ok!

Another vote for Sea Bands. They are fairly inexpensive at Walmart, reusable, and can be used by themselves for mild symptoms or with medication for more severe.

I had some doubts about the efficacy of such devices (thinking might just be a placebo effect), but it seems they actually do have a significant effect on reducing the symptoms of motion and morning sickness:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11277163

Cool! We don't get motion sick, in fact I quite enjoy the movement of the ocean, but I could see picking up one each as "just in case" fallbacks if the weather looks iffy for a cruise.