Jacket AND Tie REQUIRED Caribbean?

LMaxwell

Are jacket AND tie a requirement in the Caribbean? I’ve heard conflicting information lately and just want to know if you must have jacket AND tie

Short answer: no

This topic is everywhere in CC. If you do a search, you'll find many answers. Smart casual is recommended for all nights except formal, BUT they won't deny you, if you aren't wearing a jacket and tie.

DH has slowly lowered the bar on what he wears. On the last few cruises he's worn a turtleneck sweater (silk, black or tan), dress pants (from his suit) and dress shoes. He could be even more casual (as many do), but he refuses.

No,

For dinner collared shirts and Docker type pants are fine. You will see others in jeans - no holes and good condition.

Formal nights many wear slacks, ties and dress shirts and some have jackets. Others do not even wear a tie. Others wear suites and there is an occasional tux.

Breakfast and lunch shirts with no collars and shorts are accepted.

Just off the Caribbean Princess this am. Those who chose to wear shorts, muscle shirts and baseball caps ( and there were several) were not denied entrance to the MDR on "formal" nights so a jacket and tie are definitely not a requirement! After a two year absence from Princess, I noted that there is no longer any type of dress code. Anything goes on any night. I would recommend that you wear whatever you feel comfortable wearing. I am a fan of dressing for "formal" night but I have to admit that I question why Princess is continuing this charade when such a large number of people prefer shorts every night in the Caribbean ( and the weather was mostly cool and rainy). Most importantly, please yourself and enjoy your cruise.

You can get away with just about anything you want. Having said that this was our experience on the Regal from 12/28 - 1/7. On the formal nights in the MDR most were in jacket & tie. One formal night was New Years Eve. That night I saw lots of tuxes maybe because it was New Years. The least I saw in our dining room was dress shirt & pants. I never saw anyone in shorts on any night in fact a man tried to go in wearing shorts in front of us one night. He was asked to put on long pants and he could return. He left so I don't know if he returned. In the Crown Grill they would not let you in in shorts, saw a couple turned away that were both wearing shorts. They did not come back. I would say as long as you are not wearing shorts at least on the Regal you will be allowed in. We were on the Crown for 21 days in July of 2017. They were also not letting anyone in the Dining room in shorts saw several people turned away. I think as for as shorts in the dining room it depends on the ship.

Formal night minimum for men is collared shirt and docker pants and for woman just about anything including flip flops with sparklies. I and several other men have gone to a guabara shirt and dockers without any problem. Athletic shoes are allowed. I complained once at the PSD and was told women can wear about anything since "formal" was open to interpretation by the wearer only and Princess was not going to question them.

Last cruise two months ago I saw several in shorts and tshirt on non-formal nights including one male at the table next to ours. I saw others enter and go by our table also in shorts, tshirt and hat. I saw hats on males every night. A 2 top near our table the nicely dressed male wore a hat every night. We were in early TD in the aft deck 6 dining room and situated where we could see the entry points. Therefore this was my casual observation during dinner.

I agree that Princess needs to change the rules as they are getting ignored more and more as time passes. They allow it because they cannot stop it without lines at the PSD of angry pax who threaten not to every come back ($$$ lost). Other lines have already gone to informal at every meal because of the reality that pax no longer want to be forced to dress up on a cruise.

A couple of years ago onboard the Regal, the main cat in the MDR very reluctantly let me in on fancy night since I was wearing dockers and a nice, short sleeved button up shirt. He asked if I had a long sleeved shirt or sweater, which I didn’t.

Last year I wore the same thing, but with a blazer this time, and the same cat welcomed me like I was his long lost cousin. Cover those arms, men!

When I was on the Caribbean Princess last April, there were several people wearing shorts to dinner every night. (Not formal night) I asked our waiter if the policy had changed and he said yes. His quote was "we are no longer allowed to turn people away or make comment on their dress". Changing times I guess, because people want to be comfortable.

We were on the Regal New Year’s Eve, it was a formal night and everyone was dressed nicely from tuxedos to suits to dress shirts and slacks with and without ties. However, on several other nights I saw lots of shorts in the MDR. Haven’t sailed Princess in about 5 years and haven’t been in the Caribbean in about as long, so seems to me the dress code has changed.