Question - Late arrival & luggage....

Barsnikel

In all my cruises, we always fly in the day before and get to the pier early... but I've been asked a question from a newbie cruise, and I had to admit that I really didn't know the answer.

How does "checked" luggage work if you arrive at the last minute? I know Carnival says you have to carry the luggage on board yourself, but then what ?

I assume they must scan or inspect the bags for security reasons... Do they do that while you wait, or do you have to leave it with them to be delivered to your cabin later ?

I can't imagine that if you carry your luggage on board yourself that they just allow you to go directly to your cabin.

I can't imagine that if you carry your luggage on board yourself that they just allow you to go directly to your cabin.

The closest we’ve ever made it to the port was literally 3:56pm for a 4:00pm departure (long story). Anyway, we were guided to proceeded with all of or luggage straight to the security checkpoint and to the check in counter. We had called from the road and let them know that we were on our way and that we would be arriving right around departure time, so they were waiting for us. They verified our passports and gave us our keys, but told us to complete the rest of the check in and sail and sign process at guest services onboard. We boarded the ship hauling all of our luggage ourselves and went straight to our cabin to drop them off. This was 2008 in Port Canaveral and I don’t know if things have changed since then.

The good news is that there were zero lines for embarkation and our cabin was ready [emoji23].

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

In Galveston whatever luggage you don't check you take on board yourself. If you're checking in fairly late you can simply take them straight to your cabin.

Happy sailing.

So, are you saying there is no scrutiny or security check of what's inside the luggage ?

In all my cruises, we always fly in the day before and get to the pier early... but I've been asked a question from a newbie cruise, and I had to admit that I really didn't know the answer.

How does "checked" luggage work if you arrive at the last minute? I know Carnival says you have to carry the luggage on board yourself, but then what ?

I assume they must scan or inspect the bags for security reasons... Do they do that while you wait, or do you have to leave it with them to be delivered to your cabin later ?

There will always be someone to take it.

So, are you saying there is no scrutiny or security check of what's inside the luggage ?

I believe they will still scan your luggage if it will fit through their scanners. If it doesn't, it will be manually wanded and/or opened and checked. I think it depends on the day, the port, the security person, whether or not it's sunny, if there's a cross-wind- you get my point... there's no real telling exactly how they will scan it, but I'm pretty sure that they don't let the luggage on unchecked... too many people would just start showing up at the port after 2 PM!

Folks have already explained that you go through security and then you take your luggage on board yourself to your cabin. This is what many folks do who do not check luggage. We haven't ever checked anything but we go through security and then bring it to our cabin. If you are on board late then your cabin will be ready. When we get on board early we either have FTTF or a suite and do the same thing. It is not unusual to carry on all your luggage for a cruise.

Our luggage still went through the x ray machine used for carry ons. Even our larger suitcase fit, but we don’t use monster sized suitcases

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

After a certain time, the porter service stops, and guests arriving at the terminal must carry their bags onboard themselves.

Bags will be scanned through the machine as you go through the scanners, if security sees anything suspicious they will obviously do a more intensive search, otherwise you will then proceed to do your check-in and board the ship. Your room will be ready, so you can drop your bags off.

No I am not saying that. You still go through the security line. All of your baggage is scanned there and examined by security, then you continue on through the process carrying it all yourself.

No I am not saying that. You still go through the security line. All of your baggage is scanned there and examined by security, then you continue on through the process carrying it all yourself.

Anyone have a clue what happens in this case if your luggage won’t fit through their scanner? Will they just wand it and/or do a manual search?

Normally all my suitcases would fit through, but my first cruise? I gotta tell ya’ that suitcase was HUGE! And full!!