What is a must see in Rome.

Iluvabellini

My only comment is that Rome is a large city w a lot of traffic. Instead of running from place-to-place and wasting time getting from place-to-place, pick 2 or 3 sites and see them fairly well.

DON

good suggestion, IMO

The Vatican Museum is my #1 choice. I have been privileged to visit it twice, once with a tour group that included the Museum and once on my own. I'd be pleased to visit it once again on my own. I found just stepping aside when the tour groups came through and proceed at my own pace was the best option. And, then, I don't think I saw everything.

#2 is St. Peter's. It's awesome.

#3 is the remains of the Roman Forum. If one has been a student of Latin and Rome's history, the remains that one sees meant much more to me than the ruins of Luxor that I tried to mentally process.

We had the misfortune of having Rome as one of our ports of call when cruised Celebrity 5 years ago. I agree with everyone here that it is impossible to see what Rome has to offer in a day but we did do the highlights. We booked a guided day tour. Got to visit The Forum, the colisseum, trevi fountain, the pantheon, the spanish steps, have lunch and get thru Wednesday afternoon Vatican masses to see the Sistene chapel. The Sistene Chapel, St Peters and the Pieta were done as a sprint to have time to get back to the cruise ship. I do not get to do everything one would want to do but i think we accomplish a lot.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We are taking a Viking Ocean cruise in August. We arrive in Rome on Sunday and travel 44 miles to the ship. We would have to arrange our own transportation back to Rome because they offer no excursions that first day. We will have limited time so tell me what one thing you would do in Rome. Any advice if you've been there before would be appreciated.:)

If you go to the Vatican, definitely do not go to the Cafe Vaticano which is right across the street from the ticket entrance to the Vatican even though it is very convenient. Read the reviews of the place on TripAdvisor - https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g187791-d1089060-Reviews-Caffe_Vaticano-Rome_Lazio.html. 76% terrible and 10% poor. It is probably the worse restaurant in the Universe.

DON