Ultimate Ship Tour

Pension3X

DD and I took this tour on the Island Princess last week (southbound). We signed up at Passenger Services when we boarded the ship around 5:00. At that point there was just one person ahead of us so we checked later in the cruise to see that enough had signed up. Received the confirmation letter the day we left Ketchikan that the tour would be the next morning.....last sea day, at 8:15 a.m. The letter clearly states to leave cameras and cell phones in one's cabin. Stair climbing was minimal with elevators usually taken. We received a lovely bathrobe, cute apron, beautiful wood picture frame to hold the 8x10 group photo with the captain and received four 5x7 group photos taken at other locations, all by a ship's photographer. There is weight to both the bathrobe and picture frame so keep space in your luggage. We both thoroughly enjoyed our tour. This was always something that I wanted to do so happy that this time it worked out. Tour lasted about 3 hours so lots of standing. Length of tour might depend on how many questions people ask. Thought of a few things afterwards....isn't that always the way! Go and enjoy the experience.

Sandy :)

We did the UST on the Regal earlier this year - we thought it was well worth the time & money! Since we cruise a lot, we figured it would be great to see behind the scenes areas. Would we do it again? Possibly (depends on ship & how much OBC we have available). Kind of like doing the behind-the-scenes at Disney World - gotta do it at least once!!

I did this in May on the Coral (Panama Canal). We signed up (at passenger service desk) as soon as we were on the ship (and we were in first group (elite) on. The list already had people on it. when we checked back several days later we were told there would be a tour for sure and that maybe even 2. it was the second to last sea day (we had 4 sea days end of cruise)

We were hoping to do the ultimate ship tour on our last cruise and went immediately to sign up for it because we heard it fills up fast. But, the day before we were to do the tour we got a notice that it was canceled due to lack of participation. The crazy thing is we never saw it advertised anywhere so no wonder it didn't fill up!

Maybe the only people who know about are US???

Also make room in your suitcase for those little extras as the robes and frame can be quite weighty.

I weighed our robes when we got home. They weigh 2+ pounds EACH. If 2 go one the tour, the 2 picture frames and 2 robes will add almost 6 pounds to your suitcase.

Word of caution: don't unwrap the robes. If you shake them out to admire them, they'll take more room in the suitcase.

• Like 1

We were hoping to do the ultimate ship tour on our last cruise and went immediately to sign up for it because we heard it fills up fast. But, the day before we were to do the tour we got a notice that it was canceled due to lack of participation. The crazy thing is we never saw it advertised anywhere so no wonder it didn't fill up!

Keep trying. It's a lot of fun.

I took the UST on our Emerald Princess cruise to AK this year. It was truly excellent.

• The coolest part was the Engine Control Room. The talk, there, was given by the Chief Engineer. He was absolutely hilarious.
  • In the galley they passed out refreshments.
  • The Forward Mooring Station was, also, excellent. The talk was given by the Staff Captain.
  • There was some question whether we would be allowed to go to the bridge because of foggy weather. As it turned out, we were able to do so. The talk there was given by the Third Officer. It was on the starboard side of the bridge. I was able to look down on our balcony--the most forward on the Aloha Deck. Right at that time my wife walked out, looked up at the bridge and was able to see me. We gave each other a wave. When it came time for the group picture on the bridge, our guide said she would see if the Captain could join us. It turns out that the Captain was sitting in a chair at a central console. During the fog, he was on watch. He did come over and was very gracious for the group pic.
  • At a couple of the stops we were given "handouts." Most of the walking from point to point was done on the lower levels which are "crew only," but we did walk through some passenger corridors. A couple people were able to drop their handouts in their mailbox as we walked by their cabins.

The swag was delivered later that afternoon by our cabin steward in one of those blue Princess tote bags. I told my wife that I really was interested only in the note pad and the pictures. She surprised me by saying that she wanted the robe, apron and picture frame. Since we disembarked at our home port, we did not have to really pack it. We just carried it off in the blue tote bag.

• Like 1

Almost had the same on Star Princess a few years ago. Raced to the desk to get my name on the list, found out I was just the second one. Finally on day 7 of the ten day cruise was notified they had reached the minimum number to run the tour the next morning. Report to the appointed place, see the CD and security debating whether or not to actually run the tour as three participants cancelled when they found out it started at 8:30 AM. This in spite of the document you signed when putting your name on the list with your assent that the $150 would be immediately charged to your account as soon as your selection for the tour was confirmed. Well the tour did run (with only 10 or 11 people as I recall) whether or not the ship got its $450 for the no shows.

• 3 weeks later...

Love the ultimate tours. If you have access to the concierge, they can take care of it.

I was told that in the case of extended interest suites had priority. This was several years ago, so I can’t say if it is current.

Leaving on Emerald in a week and a half. It's too rich for my blood, but something I, as ex-Navy, would love. Luckily, my bride volunteered to buy it for me. I cannot wait and hope that it is not sold out before we get on the roster.