Alaska in Aug how do i dress

bingobunny14

First, some research on the Alaska board, here:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=55

would be helpful, as well as Google searching weather for a couple of cities on your cruise, such as "Weather Juneau August" or Weather Sitka August".

The key point form the Alaska board would be that weather in Alaska is quite variable. It changes a lot. So layers are critical. Yes, shorts are a possibility, but it may also be foggy and cold.

Suggestion

Bring a little of everything.

My DH and I. cruised to Alaska in the same time frame several years ago.At the first port,Ketchikan, we were comfortable in shorts and a T-shirt as temperatures were in the hig 70’s -close to 80 degrees.

When we went on deck to view the glacier at Tracy Arm,we wore insulated rain jackets as the air is very chilly near the glaciers. You may consider hats and gloves.

We also wore jeans with t shirts and sometimes turtlenecks.

You may have a port intensive cruise with little time to relax around the pool. I would think bathing suits would be optional. We didn’t even consider packing them.

Alaska is beautiful-enjoy your cruise !

PS Pack binoculars ,if you have them. The ship sails close to shore and it is interesting to look for widelife,waterfalls and lighthouses as you sail by.

Also,post this question on the Alaska board, I am sure that you will get many responses there.

The key is to be prepared to layer clothing and history means nothing.

I could be sunny, warm, overcast, cloudy, windy, cold or a combination of all things.

Bring a hat, waterproof jacket, waterproof pants, fleece or sweater or sweat shirt, long pants, short sleeves shirts and even shorts.

Keith