Remove sofa from Verandah?

DSJ28

You never know unless you ask. However, it did remind me of an Ask This Old House episode I saw recently about robotic walls. Seems like cruise ships and hotels could use this type of technology to create more inviting spaces for everyone.

You never know unless you ask. However, it did remind me of an Ask This Old House episode I saw recently about robotic walls. Seems like cruise ships and hotels could use this type of technology to create more inviting spaces for everyone.

Interesting concept... in a stable building. On a ship during stormy seas, though, I'd rather keep with the fixed walls please.:eek:

To be honest the thread was going ok until someone suggested that the sofa could be unscrewed by maintenance and then it all went awry. Crazy suggestion you'd even consider it. By the way I don't think for a moment you'd expect that to be done. Sometimes on this board it's just best to walk away when you have your answer!

Phil

+1. It is amazing how some threads take on an irrational life of their own for no logical reason .

DON

To the OP

Perhaps you could consider a Princess Cruise. On their ships,balcony cabins have a desk chair and a sitting chair in the cabin. The chairs can be easily moved around the cabin. Still not sure if the stewards could move the beds into an L configuration though.Deluxe balconies and mini suites have a loveseat or sofa. So those cabins would. Not be of interest to you.

On Celebrity, if you need more floor space, you could consider a Skysuite. Those categories of cabins are more expensive that a balcony or veranda cabin. But, they definitely offer more space.

If I were you,I would monitor the cabin prices for your particular sailing. If there is a price drop, you may find that a Skysuite is in your budget.

I wish they would do away with the piles of decorative pillows. Take them off the bed and they either take up space on the sofa or we cram them beside the sofa and window, in any case they are useless and just not needed in a tiny cabin.

I sometimes do rearrange furniture in hotel rooms - not beds and sofas, but if there's anything I might trip over in the night (ottomans, coffee tables, those things at the foot of the bed) I move them out of the way.

I have to ask... why the preoccupation with floor space? Not just the OP, but several others have mentioned it as well. I have never felt this need for more floor space in all my travels - not in cruise cabins nor hotel accommodations. We have even had 4 in a standard veranda cabin and it wasn’t an issue. It got a bit tricky sharing 1 bathroom but we managed just fine and had a great cruise.

I hear people commenting frequently about how small cruise cabins are and I can’t help but wonder what they need all the space for. A dance party?

I can tell you one thing - if ocean cruise cabins are too small, don’t ever take a river cruise! You have no idea what small is [emoji33]

I’m seriously curious. Trying to understand how others think. Why do you need more floor space? Aren’t you just there to sleep, shower and change clothes? (Which is another thing I hear people say all the time)

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Fair question. In my case, I'm traveling with my best friend since childhood. We only see each other once or twice a year - so it's a mini-reunion and a chance or two workaholics catch up on work and family stuff. It tends to turn into a pajama party with trying new makeup techniques, hair styles, and accessories for styling evening outfits. So a little extra floor space is great. But it not required - we'd be happy in the smallest cabin on the ship since it means unplugging. When I cruise with my husband, the space doesn't make any difference.

I wish they would do away with the piles of decorative pillows. Take them off the bed and they either take up space on the sofa or we cram them beside the sofa and window, in any case they are useless and just not needed in a tiny cabin.

I sometimes do rearrange furniture in hotel rooms - not beds and sofas, but if there's anything I might trip over in the night (ottomans, coffee tables, those things at the foot of the bed) I move them out of the way.

+1 on the pillows. I hate pillows. It seems that everyone feels that they have to spread pillows all over the place. Another thing that I hate are the cylindrical bolsters that they put on the bed. I try to hide them but they always seem to reappear.

DON

Here's a fact: If you only like opinions that agree with you, you're not going to like CC. In any case, I hope you'll still enjoy your cruise.

Can the sofa be removed? That was the fact I was after, as you know. Here's an unsolicited opinion: if you have nothing helpful or kind to add to the discussion - silence is a great option.

Well, I do have to admit, that I haven't been called "mean" or "suck" in a long time. I've been called better names by better people

Anyway, I think I've figured out the space thing. In today's world, bigger is better, and when a lot of the guest bathrooms in a lot of homes are indeed bigger than the cabin size of ships today, when one actually sees the cabin for the first time, yes, it will be small. Is there a lack of good storage space, YES there is. How about the bathroom....shower...Yes, they are miniscule. You want square footage, You certainly won't get it on todays cruise ship

I didn't call you mean. I don't know you and I'm not fond of name calling in any case. Mean people know who they are - hopefully. I won't disagree with your point about 'better people' - I'm definitely a work in progress. I also agree with your perspective about space - really, the older I get, the less space I need. In this case - as I've explained - a little more space would be nice but not necessary.

To be honest the thread was going ok until someone suggested that the sofa could be unscrewed by maintenance and then it all went awry. Crazy suggestion you'd even consider it. By the way I don't think for a moment you'd expect that to be done. Sometimes on this board it's just best to walk away when you have your answer!

Phil

You're right - i wouldn't ask anyone to go through so much trouble. It was indeed a crazy question. I'm the queen of "what if" - and more than once, I've been pleasantly surprised. I've enjoyed most of the discussion and the suggestions have been appreciated. It's sparked a flood of creative storage ideas that won't involve burdening the stewart - so overall this has been a plus.

..... Here's an unsolicited opinion: if you have nothing helpful or kind to add to the discussion - silence is a great option. .....

Based on your earlier posts, I'm surprised you would post an opinion. I thought you suggested that opinions had no place on CC.

Can the sofa be removed? That was the fact I was after, as you know. Here's an unsolicited opinion: if you have nothing helpful or kind to add to the discussion - silence is a great option.

I didn't call you mean. I don't know you and I'm not fond of name calling in any case. Mean people know who they are - hopefully. I won't disagree with your point about 'better people' - I'm definitely a work in progress. I also agree with your perspective about space - really, the older I get, the less space I need. In this case - as I've explained - a little more space would be nice but not necessary.

I've found lately that some people on these boards love to challenge every question or point of view. Being argumentative has become a favourite past-time. Happily most people here will answer your question to the best of their knowledge and wish you well on your cruise. Your question was valid. Happy sails to you and your friend!

Since we’ve already veered off topic, I’m adding my opinion. Celebrity places pillows to give the cabins a finished, decorated appearance, which I happen to appreciate. When I’m not using them, I place them on the back of the sofa against the wall. I agree that they’re sometimes in the way, but many people do use them. Also, IMO these cabins are not tiny. I’ve shared much tighter, and less well designed, spaces with another person for two weeks at a time!

You yourself may be one of those fortunate people who’ve never been injured, but people having both old or recent injuries may need pillows for elevation. Example: my sister smashed up her ankle in an auto accident at a very young age. It’s always swollen, but much more so after a walk of several miles. At the end of the day, she props her leg up on a pile of pillows (yes, she’s considerate enough to cover them with a towel first) and an ice pack.

Edited by Silkroad

Fair question. In my case, I'm traveling with my best friend since childhood. We only see each other once or twice a year - so it's a mini-reunion and a chance or two workaholics catch up on work and family stuff. It tends to turn into a pajama party with trying new makeup techniques, hair styles, and accessories for styling evening outfits. So a little extra floor space is great. But it not required - we'd be happy in the smallest cabin on the ship since it means unplugging. When I cruise with my husband, the space doesn't make any difference.

I hope you have a wonderful cruise with your best friend! :)

Based on your earlier posts, I'm surprised you would post an opinion. I thought you suggested that opinions had no place on CC.

You must have misread my earlier posts - or you are easily surprised - or you are simply incorrect. I would never suggest that opinions have no place on CC.

We spend a lot of time in our cabin and for us, we enjoy the space to spread out that suites offer.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We're thinking about it. But we are torn between getting a suite now or booking next year's voyage on a the Edge. What to do, what to do. I definitely think suites are worth the extra - just not sure it's affordable this time. Decisions decisions!

To the OP

Perhaps you could consider a Princess Cruise. On their ships,balcony cabins have a desk chair and a sitting chair in the cabin. The chairs can be easily moved around the cabin. Still not sure if the stewards could move the beds into an L configuration though.Deluxe balconies and mini suites have a loveseat or sofa. So those cabins would. Not be of interest to you.

On Celebrity, if you need more floor space, you could consider a Skysuite. Those categories of cabins are more expensive that a balcony or veranda cabin. But, they definitely offer more space.

If I were you,I would monitor the cabin prices for your particular sailing. If there is a price drop, you may find that a Skysuite is in your budget.

I'm checking the prices frequently - the only method i have is to check Celebrity's site for a new booking or contact my TA. Last time I checked with him the price was double my verandah rate :eek:. I also have a price alert app, but it's not working the way I expected so far. I'll poke around CC for other options.

As for Princess, I hope to someday try different cruiselines - it's been Celebrity, Carnival, and Disney for decades. A change of pace might be nice down the road - thanks for the suggestion.

I also cruise on Celebrity a lot and with girl friends, and if I were you, I would make sure the cabin has the bed by the balcony. This will give you more space since you will have the beds separated. If the bed is by the closet with them separated, you will have very little space to get into the closet with the sliding doors since the bed will be moved closer to the closet, so that you can put the 2 tiny nightstands in between the 2 beds. I can't imagine having only 1 of the nightstands between the 2 beds as that would be too close. With the bed by the balcony, it puts your desk/vanity area opposite the sofa and closer to the bathroom and opens up the space for dressing since it is right outside of the bath. I don't like the table either, but lately stewards will not remove them, so we have squished it between the bed closest to the balcony and the balcony doors or even put it out on the veranda.

Someone else mentioned inside cabins with chairs instead of sofas. I stayed in one of those recently and they are more square so it does feel roomier, and you can move the chairs around. I was pleasantly surprised since I haven't been in an inside cabin in years. And as someone else mentioned, look for deals along the way to upgrade to a sky suite. They are out there, all depends on the cruise.

I also cruise on Celebrity a lot and with girl friends, and if I were you, I would make sure the cabin has the bed by the balcony. This will give you more space since you will have the beds separated. If the bed is by the closet with them separated, you will have very little space to get into the closet with the sliding doors since the bed will be moved closer to the closet, so that you can put the 2 tiny nightstands in between the 2 beds. I can't imagine having only 1 of the nightstands between the 2 beds as that would be too close. With the bed by the balcony, it puts your desk/vanity area opposite the sofa and closer to the bathroom and opens up the space for dressing since it is right outside of the bath. I don't like the table either, but lately stewards will not remove them, so we have squished it between the bed closest to the balcony and the balcony doors or even put it out on the veranda.

Someone else mentioned inside cabins with chairs instead of sofas. I stayed in one of those recently and they are more square so it does feel roomier, and you can move the chairs around. I was pleasantly surprised since I haven't been in an inside cabin in years. And as someone else mentioned, look for deals along the way to upgrade to a sky suite. They are out there, all depends on the cruise.

It's funny you should mention this - I was thinking the very same thing just yesterday. I read a post here that explained how to determine where your bed is located on the Reflection (that's our ship :D) . Unfortunately, our bed is near the bath. So, I'm trying to change cabins. But - I haven't been able to get through to Celebrity. I waited on hold for 20 minutes last night and again earlier today. I'll take this message as a sign that I should try again just in case.

I suspect the inside cabins would feel roomier for us - but my bestie loves having a coffee on the balcony with the sunrise. I will ask about Sky Suites again if I can get through. Thanks for the suggestions, Nancy!

You must have misread my earlier posts - or you are easily surprised - or you are simply incorrect. I would never suggest that opinions have no place on CC.

No, you were perfectly clear in one of your earlier posts. Here's what you wrote: "

I did not ask for opinions. I asked for facts".

You did not want any opinions. CC may not be the place for you.

It's funny you should mention this - I was thinking the very same thing just yesterday. I read a post here that explained how to determine where your bed is located on the Reflection (that's our ship :D) . Unfortunately, our bed is near the bath. So, I'm trying to change cabins. But - I haven't been able to get through to Celebrity. I waited on hold for 20 minutes last night and again earlier today. I'll take this message as a sign that I should try again just in case.

I suspect the inside cabins would feel roomier for us - but my bestie loves having a coffee on the balcony with the sunrise. I will ask about Sky Suites again if I can get through. Thanks for the suggestions, Nancy!

Remember the cabins alternate, bed by bath, bed by balcony, bed by bath, bed by balcony....and check out the sticky thread that reviews cabins. Watch the Exciting Deals on Tuesdays for Sky Suite upgrades and check prices often. The Reflection is a great ship, so enjoy no matter what.