A Tale of Two Cruises

CTBob

Hi Bob, thank you very much for the detailed review! We are sailing on the Seaside on 2/10 in a fantastica balcony cabin with the meaitime drink package.... couple questions for you regarding this:

Were you able to use the mealtime drink package in any of the specialty restaurants on your first week? The terms and conditions state in the main dining room or buffet, wondering if this is actually the case.

Also, in terms of utilizing the package outside of the main dining room, are there certain bars that you have to go to for beer/wine during the published lunch/dinner hours? Do you need to inform the bar staff of the package before ordering? Trying to understand how to utilize the package in advance, avoiding a trip to guest services :)

Thanks again for all of the great info.

- Ben

If you don't get the answer you want, just keep asking politely and they usually come around. BTW we had the description of our package in writing and it should also be on your MSC for ME app and we would show that to the server if there was a question. Hopefully they will be fully aware of it when you sail. Bob

Thank you, Bob. Very kind of you to respond personally. [emoji1]

After reading a number of things on here and online, I have to confess I’m still somewhat perplexed about the dining times. We (my wife + my dad and his friend) signed up for Early Seating because my dad doesn’t like to eat super late, but I gather that could mean eating dinner as early as 5:30 pm which is WAY too early for me. For one thing, my wife and I like doing excursions when in port and we’d rather eat after 7 or 8. So my question is this: when you were on the ship for the Fantastica portion, when did they assign you your dining time? (Some online resources say at embarkation, others when you complete online check-in). Also, did you sit at the same table each night? Thank you again for your excellent reporting on the Seaside. We’re sailing on Oct 20 2018 and hope that any early snafus will have been worked out by then. My wife and I LOVE the international experience so your comments about meeting people from Europe, New Zealand, etc are music to our ears!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Bob. Thank you for putting together such a comprehensive review! I thought of two questions while reading:

1. What time were cabins made available in the YC during the start of your second week?

2. Is the YC restaurant anytime dining or do they have set dining times for you?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks Bob for the excellent review! Have been eagerly awaiting YC feedback.

Do you have any feedback on the YC dinner menus? Sounds like the choices are rather small with an always available section. We aren't overly adventurous and wondering if we will be able to find something each night without always resorting to the same every night options. Hoping not a lot of game birds/very fancy items so wondering if you have any menus or feedback?

One poster attached some menus, but they matched what was also posted for the main dining room and assuming they are not the same.

Thanks in advance and glad you had a great trip!

Bob....Thanks for the excellent review so far. Wasn't the meal time drink package a promotion that was tied in with your Fantastica cabin from your first week? Obviously staying in the Yacht Club during week two gave you the deluxe drinks package all over the ship since that was an added benefit that started back on April 1, 2017.

Fantastica experience gives us a 12 drink voucher/pp that can be used anywhere. It's not the same as the meal time drink package, which I wish we could still get. But since it's not available (I know others had been looking for it unsuccessfully), so we bought the 7 bottle dinner wines package.

Hi Bob, thank you very much for the detailed review! We are sailing on the Seaside on 2/10 in a fantastica balcony cabin with the meaitime drink package.... couple questions for you regarding this:

Were you able to use the mealtime drink package in any of the specialty restaurants on your first week? The terms and conditions state in the main dining room or buffet, wondering if this is actually the case.

Also, in terms of utilizing the package outside of the main dining room, are there certain bars that you have to go to for beer/wine during the published lunch/dinner hours? Do you need to inform the bar staff of the package before ordering? Trying to understand how to utilize the package in advance, avoiding a trip to guest services :)

Thanks again for all of the great info.

- Ben

Hi Ben, yes that is the case, at the buffet and main dining rooms only. You give them your card and they charge for the drink and then credit back so you sign and it should say $0.00. If it doesn't say zero, don't sign. I'm not sure how early this starts, I never tried it before noon. The package does not work in the specialty restaurants so we used our coupons. Never tried to use it outside the restaurants so I don't know, but I doubt that they would honor it. Yes even though they tried hard, avoid Guest Services if at all possible. Actually I found it easier to just call them (99, I think) rather than stand in line. I hope all the elevator and bathroom issues are worked out by the time you sail, please let us know. Bob

What part of the following didn't you get? (From post #17 on this thread):
Thanks Bea, but he is right and I'm not offended. Notice that I did try after he reminded me. Usually when I write I edit over and over until it looks OK but that doesn't work here because you can only edit for a short amount of time and I've been very busy since I returned. And my wife is sick (Just a cold) so I'm also taking care of her. I just returned from fixing the church toilet and now have to go and make my wife tea, so more answers later. Bob

Hi Bob. Thank you for putting together such a comprehensive review! I thought of two questions while reading:

1. What time were cabins made available in the YC during the start of your second week?

2. Is the YC restaurant anytime dining or do they have set dining times for you?

We were having such a good time in the beautiful Yacht Club lounge that I don't even remember. I do know that it was earlier than the rest of the ship and before lunch.

I believe that it is anytime dining but we wanted Arthur as our waiter so we booked 6:30 PM every evening and it was perfect. We saw some different people in the table next to ours so that one was kept open for whoever arrived.

Thanks Bob for the excellent review! Have been eagerly awaiting YC feedback.

Do you have any feedback on the YC dinner menus? Sounds like the choices are rather small with an always available section. We aren't overly adventurous and wondering if we will be able to find something each night without always resorting to the same every night options. Hoping not a lot of game birds/very fancy items so wondering if you have any menus or feedback?

One poster attached some menus, but they matched what was also posted for the main dining room and assuming they are not the same.

Thanks in advance and glad you had a great trip!

I'm sorry that I am not a foodie but remember a few things. The menu was definitely upscale from the main dining room and even the same items were better. For instance I didn't really like the French Onion soup in the main dining room but it was delicious in the Yacht Club. I usually eat the Beef of the Night but a couple of times our waiter said that the always available beef was better and he was right. Anytime anyone wasn't sure they ordered the beef from the always available menu and it was always great. One day at lunch I wanted to order the Reuben sandwich and he shook his head and explained that they put that together early and grill it when it's ordered. I took a chance and it was actually quite good. The hamburgers were very good. My wife liked the chilled soups. And they all loved the Lobster tails that were available at Dinner and at Lunch in the upstairs grill by the pool. We probably would have eaten all of our lunches at the grill if the weather was better. I never had a bad meal. Bob

ps - I think Cornish hen was on the menu once and I almost ordered it. Our waiter was so good that he often told me what to get and he was always right.

Thank you, Bob. Very kind of you to respond personally. [emoji1]

After reading a number of things on here and online, I have to confess I’m still somewhat perplexed about the dining times. We (my wife + my dad and his friend) signed up for Early Seating because my dad doesn’t like to eat super late, but I gather that could mean eating dinner as early as 5:30 pm which is WAY too early for me. For one thing, my wife and I like doing excursions when in port and we’d rather eat after 7 or 8. So my question is this: when you were on the ship for the Fantastica portion, when did they assign you your dining time? (Some online resources say at embarkation, others when you complete online check-in). Also, did you sit at the same table each night? Thank you again for your excellent reporting on the Seaside. We’re sailing on Oct 20 2018 and hope that any early snafus will have been worked out by then. My wife and I LOVE the international experience so your comments about meeting people from Europe, New Zealand, etc are music to our ears!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Go to the dining room as soon as you can or ask someone for their number and give them your request. Usually they will change it for you if they can. Our time was 5:30 PM in the Ipanema Restaurant and we had table 924 each night. If the cruise is sold out and all the tables are assigned you may be out of luck. I was told that in the Ipanema there were three sittings. First at 5:30 PM, then at 7:30 PM and a late seating at 9:30 PM. I don't have confirmation of that but I know that at 7:15 PM they were trying to throw us out and people were waiting to come in. I also heard that the Seashore Restaurant had only two sittings (Seatings?), one later than our first and the second earlier than our last. Maybe that was for people with the Aurea experience and anytime dining. Check the other reviews and you may be able to sort that out. Bob

ps - I think that my dining time was on my cruise documents and also on the MSC for me app, although that might have been once we got on board.

Hi Bob,

We are enjoying this great review. It was so nice to meet you and Stephanie during Week 1 of your two cruises. We loved your positive attitude and happy approach to life. Thanks again for helping us all get to know each other pre-cruise, and for the fun cabin crawl.

Big hug from Barbara and Orlando

Hi guys! When you get some free time will you please send me some of your photos for my website? I will set up a page just for you. Bob (rmlynott@yahoo.com)

I'm sorry that I am not a foodie but remember a few things. The menu was definitely upscale from the main dining room and even the same items were better. For instance I didn't really like the French Onion soup in the main dining room but it was delicious in the Yacht Club. I usually eat the Beef of the Night but a couple of times our waiter said that the always available beef was better and he was right. Anytime anyone wasn't sure they ordered the beef from the always available menu and it was always great. One day at lunch I wanted to order the Reuben sandwich and he shook his head and explained that they put that together early and grill it when it's ordered. I took a chance and it was actually quite good. The hamburgers were very good. My wife liked the chilled soups. And they all loved the Lobster tails that were available at Dinner and at Lunch in the upstairs grill by the pool. We probably would have eaten all of our lunches at the grill if the weather was better. I never had a bad meal. Bob

ps - I think Cornish hen was on the menu once and I almost ordered it. Our waiter was so good that he often told me what to get and he was always right.

Hi Bob! I was so excited when I saw you were sailing on this cruise since I knew we would get a detailed and balanced review. Thank you! Regarding the YC grill and food, even though the weather wasn't so great, was there a way to get your food from the grill and bring inside if you wanted to eat?

Did you happen to notice if there were any board games on board? My family will be home and I'm sailing with my mom and wondering if there was Scrabble? Just wondering since thinking this may be something we can do in the YC lounge.

How was the dress in the YC restaurant during breakfast and lunch? On NCL Haven, I would go to the gym early, put a long sleeved workout shirt on and have breakfast alone in the Haven restaurant until my family woke up and relaxed. I'm hoping I can do this too in the YC restaurant in the morning before my mom gets up (and then go with her again when she is ready LOL).

I was wondering if I should purchase the three-meal package but quite a few people, you included, have said they wouldn't bother so much if staying in the YC. We (my mom and I) both got Black status matched so if we get one or two complimentary specialty meals we will use that and rest will be in the YC.

We don't really do the shows but plan on going to the comedy. I will ask the concierge to make our reservations for maybe one show in the theatre and the comedy shows. My dh is picking us up after flying into FLL after the cruise so we can drive to Orlando to watch my son play college ball and hoping we can stay in the YC and disembark at the latest time, which is so strange for me since we are usually one of the first off LOL).

Thank you again for your great review!

The package does not work in the specialty restaurants so we used our coupons. Never tried to use it outside the restaurants so I don't know, but I doubt that they would honor it.
Slightly confused here Bob, you had the meal time package tied in with your Fantastica cabin on week one. How did you get coupons as well? I was under the impression that the meal time and 12 voucher thing were two different promotions tied into Fantastica bookings depending upon when clients booked their cabin.

Bob, besides Timeless, which you said that you saw and loved, what other shows did you see over the two weeks that you would recommend?

And what times were the shows?

I just asked this on another thread and was told the shows started at 4 PM.:confused: And stopped at 8?:confused:

Could be, but that doesn't seem right to me.

Hi Bob! I was so excited when I saw you were sailing on this cruise since I knew we would get a detailed and balanced review. Thank you! Regarding the YC grill and food, even though the weather wasn't so great, was there a way to get your food from the grill and bring inside if you wanted to eat?

Did you happen to notice if there were any board games on board? My family will be home and I'm sailing with my mom and wondering if there was Scrabble? Just wondering since thinking this may be something we can do in the YC lounge.

How was the dress in the YC restaurant during breakfast and lunch? On NCL Haven, I would go to the gym early, put a long sleeved workout shirt on and have breakfast alone in the Haven restaurant until my family woke up and relaxed. I'm hoping I can do this too in the YC restaurant in the morning before my mom gets up (and then go with her again when she is ready LOL).

I was wondering if I should purchase the three-meal package but quite a few people, you included, have said they wouldn't bother so much if staying in the YC. We (my mom and I) both got Black status matched so if we get one or two complimentary specialty meals we will use that and rest will be in the YC.

We don't really do the shows but plan on going to the comedy. I will ask the concierge to make our reservations for maybe one show in the theatre and the comedy shows. My dh is picking us up after flying into FLL after the cruise so we can drive to Orlando to watch my son play college ball and hoping we can stay in the YC and disembark at the latest time, which is so strange for me since we are usually one of the first off LOL).

Thank you again for your great review!

I know that people had meals in their cabins so I don't see why you couldn't bring food down from the grill. One side of the grill area is a smoking area (The starboard side) so we could only eat on the port side. If the weather was nice we might have had trouble finding a table. At least that area was shaded.

I only saw board games stacked up in the 5D theater. Not sure how to get them for use. I guess you can ask the crew members at the table there. Some one said that many of them weren't in English.

Dress was relaxed at breakfast and lunch with many people wearing shorts. The only time I didn't see someone in shorts was on the Elegant night for dinner. Most people did dress nicely for that.

For the price the Trio package is a nice way to check out these restaurants and it was great when we weren't in the Yacht Club. I didn't consider it while we were in the Yacht Club but it might have been nice at lunch. My wife said that the shrimp cocktail at Butcher's Cut was amazing. Unfortunately I am allergic to shrimp.

The only comedy show was the improv group that performed in the Metropolitan Theater at 11:15 PM (Maybe it was 11:30 PM) and some people loved it but none of the people in my group liked it that much. I never actually saw it so I only know what I heard. There was no stand up comedian on Board. Well, maybe Andre the Cruise Director and he was funny at the main shows.

And what times were the shows?

I just asked this on another thread and was told the shows started at 4 PM.:confused: And stopped at 8?:confused:

Could be, but that doesn't seem right to me.

There were three shows and we never considered the first show that started around 7 PM. We went to the 8:15 PM show once and usually ended up at the 9:30 PM show. The shows were short, generally 30 - 45 minutes and they were very active without any slow time. Definitely variety shows with a lot going on, almost like a three ring circus except that they took turns in the spotlight. Dancers, Singers, Aerialists, Illusionists, Strong men, Contortionists and all in beautiful costumes. The show was always over before you knew it. And Cruise Director Andre would always say "Do you want to see more?....Tomorrow!"

You do need to book the shows (We used the big electronic boards around the ship) and they check you in. 5 minutes before the show they let you in if there are any seats available. The 8:15 PM show sold out quite often.

Slightly confused here Bob, you had the meal time package tied in with your Fantastica cabin on week one. How did you get coupons as well? I was under the impression that the meal time and 12 voucher thing were two different promotions tied into Fantastica bookings depending upon when clients booked their cabin.
Yes we had both when we booked.

Bob, besides Timeless, which you said that you saw and loved, what other shows did you see over the two weeks that you would recommend?
I liked them all. Peter Punk was my next favorite and then The Wizard. Forever Frank had great Sinatra music but only one of the singers came close to the right sound. The opera singers didn't handle this as well. Actually four of the five singers would be classified as opera singers. The fifth may have been as well but he had greater ability to change styles. He was also a bit of a clown and I loved watching him as his facial expressions were priceless. He seemed more like a Broadway singer. I'm sorry that I didn't see Butterflies based on the opera Madame Butterfly but I'll bet they were great at that.

Hi Bob,

Wonderful review I enjoyed every number erm I mean word [emoji3]

Loved the balance and the 2 experiences contrast. Bea suggested to me to go explore and it’s the best advice.

Your review and Dave’s are the ones to trust - thank goodness for this site.

Thanks again Bob,

Mark

I know that people had meals in their cabins so I don't see why you couldn't bring food down from the grill. One side of the grill area is a smoking area (The starboard side) so we could only eat on the port side. If the weather was nice we might have had trouble finding a table. At least that area was shaded.

I only saw board games stacked up in the 5D theater. Not sure how to get them for use. I guess you can ask the crew members at the table there. Some one said that many of them weren't in English.

Dress was relaxed at breakfast and lunch with many people wearing shorts. The only time I didn't see someone in shorts was on the Elegant night for dinner. Most people did dress nicely for that.

For the price the Trio package is a nice way to check out these restaurants and it was great when we weren't in the Yacht Club. I didn't consider it while we were in the Yacht Club but it might have been nice at lunch. My wife said that the shrimp cocktail at Butcher's Cut was amazing. Unfortunately I am allergic to shrimp.

The only comedy show was the improv group that performed in the Metropolitan Theater at 11:15 PM (Maybe it was 11:30 PM) and some people loved it but none of the people in my group liked it that much. I never actually saw it so I only know what I heard. There was no stand up comedian on Board. Well, maybe Andre the Cruise Director and he was funny at the main shows.

Bob,

Did they ever have any entrees from the specialty restaurants available in the YC restaurant?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Forums mobile app

Hi Bob,

Thanks so much for this wonderful review!

Just wanted clarification regarding your comment above on shorts in the YC dining room... does this mean that people were permitted to wear shorts at dinner aside from Elegant Night? Or did you see people wearing shorts at breakfast/lunch only and not at dinner? I know there has been some discussion regarding shorts at dinner on this forum and I'm hoping you could clarify based on your experience.

Wonderful review, Bob. Many thanks.

DW and I, and two other couples, are travelling in the YC in May. We all like to dance, typically ballroom, but really enjoy everything. This is where Costa really shines and we are hopeful that MSC will also have this angle covered.

You related that young people (we are not in that cohort) seemed to enjoy The Haven. Could you categorize what type of music was played there? Romantic couple dancing? Arm-flailing disco dancing? Any older folks there?

Was there any other dancing other than in The Haven? The Top Sail Lounge seems to have a small dance floor. Did anyone use that?