A Tale of Two Cruises

CTBob

What time did you have dinner when you were in the Yacht Club. We usually dine early, which would be, I guess, 6PM. Wouldn't the 8:15 show be cutting it close, if what I've read about dinner taking 2 hours is true.

Should we make reservations for 9:15 to be safe?

Jumping in on Bob’s review to add that we dined anytime from 6-6:30 and made the 8:15 show just fine. However, we were a table for two and that doesn’t take as long as a larger table. Also, the dining room opened at 5:45. This may help you make plans.

Bob, really enjoying your review!!

Hi Bob again thanks for doing such a well balanced review, in the YC always available menu did they have a steak sirloin or NY strip ? Thanks again !!!
Had seen on another thread a copy of the every day menu that had Beef Tournados, aka mini filet mignon.

Since we had the Trio package we only ate there 4 nights and except for the duck (It was sent back) most of the meals were good (I didn't like their French Onion soup).

So what was wrong with the duck? Was it the breast or half? I love duck breast, but only when it's properly cooked (medium rare). I've had many problems getting it cooked properly on cruise ships, even at Blu on Celebrity.

Same question for the onion soup, and what was different about the version in the YC, which you said that you liked?

So what was wrong with the duck? Was it the breast or half?

Same question for the soup, and what was different about the version in the YC, which you said that you liked?

The duck was two slices of the breast and didn't look or taste good. The onion soup in the dining room had a small slice of bread on top with a piece of cheese on top of that. It was hard to cut and the bread was hard (I still ate it, so it wasn't that bad). The onion soup in the YC had a soft easy to separate and larger piece of bread and the cheese was melted better. It also tasted better. I only ordered it once in the Ipanema dining room but multiple times in the YC. Bob

Had seen on another thread a copy of the every day menu that had Beef Tournados, aka mini filet mignon.
That's the one that was always done perfectly and delicious. If someone wasn't sure about what to order that was always the easy choice.

The duck was two slices of the breast and didn't look or taste good. The onion soup in the dining room had a small slice of bread on top with a piece of cheese on top of that. It was hard to cut and the bread was hard (I still ate it, so it wasn't that bad). The onion soup in the YC had a soft easy to separate and larger piece of bread and the cheese was melted better. It also tasted better. I only ordered it once in the Ipanema dining room but multiple times in the YC. Bob

Totally agree about the dining room french onion soup! I thought it was tasty and ordered it a few times, but having to use a knife on my soup to cut up that bread made me feel silly.

I also got the duck and mine was great, I'm sorry yours wasn't! That's really a shame because mine was very good.

I'm kinda getting the impression that people in the Seashore dining room had a better experience than those in Ipanema? Were you assigned to Ipanema both weeks?

I also got the duck and mine was great, I'm sorry yours wasn't! That's really a shame because mine was very good.

Was your duck cooked properly (medium rare) or was it overcooked? You will note that the menu has an asterisk warning against eating under-cooked meat, so clearly the intent is to have it available that way.

Glad to hear that you enjoyed yours as I am looking forward to having it next week.

Was your duck cooked properly (medium rare) or was it overcooked? You will note that the menu has an asterisk warning against eating under-cooked meat, so clearly the intent is to have it available that way.

Glad to hear that you enjoyed yours as I am looking forward to having it next week.

Truthfully, this was maybe the second time in my life I've ever had duck, that's the main reason I ordered it, so I have nothing to compare it to. But to me it seemed delicate, tender, juicy, and fell off the bone. There was also a substantial amount of meat, no one else at my table ordered it because they thought it would be too small for a meal.

Truthfully, this was maybe the second time in my life I've ever had duck, that's the main reason I ordered it, so I have nothing to compare it to. But to me it seemed delicate, tender, juicy, and fell off the bone. There was also a substantial amount of meat, no one else at my table ordered it because they thought it would be too small for a meal.

Then it sounds like you did not have duck breast, because that is not served with any bones (it's a boneless breast).

Seems strange that people would think it's not enough for a meal. Worst case, just order a second entree.

One more voice thanking you for an excellent and comprehensive review!

You answered many of the questions that I hadn't even gotten around to asking!

Your approach to MSC is the one I have going in on Seaside and what worked so well for me on Divina - go with the flow, maintain a sense of humour and enjoy the differences!

So what was wrong with the duck? Was it the breast or half? I love duck breast, but only when it's properly cooked (medium rare). I've had many problems getting it cooked properly on cruise ships, even at Blu on Celebrity.

Same question for the onion soup, and what was different about the version in the YC, which you said that you liked?

The French onion soup that was served to us had too much bread, too little cheese, and a strangely inappropriate taste of vinegar. Just hate it when they mess with classics like escargot and French onion soup, unless of course, it is better. IMO, this soup was not. Only ordered once.

Sent from my Z981 using Forums mobile app

The French onion soup that was served to us had too much bread, too little cheese, and a strangely inappropriate taste of vinegar. Just hate it when they mess with classics like escargot and French onion soup, unless of course, it is better. IMO, this soup was not. Only ordered once.

I am inferring that the soup you did not like was from the MDR, just like the soup from week one that CTBob did not like. He stated that the soup was a much better upgrade during week two when he was in the YC.

I am inferring that the soup you did not like was from the MDR, just like the soup from week one that CTBob did not like. He stated that the soup was a much better upgrade during week two when he was in the YC.

I wouldn't know. I was happy to see it on the every evening menu in the Main Dining Room, but one try was enough to put me off. Hopefully the chef has addressed the recipe.

One more voice thanking you for an excellent and comprehensive review!

You answered many of the questions that I hadn't even gotten around to asking!

Your approach to MSC is the one I have going in on Seaside and what worked so well for me on Divina - go with the flow, maintain a sense of humour and enjoy the differences!

Ditto!

Jumping in on Bob’s review to add that we dined anytime from 6-6:30 and made the 8:15 show just fine. However, we were a table for two and that doesn’t take as long as a larger table. Also, the dining room opened at 5:45. This may help you make plans.

Bob, really enjoying your review!!

Firstly i second the last line of the above. Really enjoying this review thank you. It has however raised a question to which i hope someone will be able to advise on.......

We have fantastica experience and opted for a later dinner (we are hoping for 745 which im guessing will be Ipanaema?). Reading, that around 915 they want you out as they have another seating at 930 does this realisitcally give us enough time to make the last theatre show at 930?

I see too we have to reserve shows is that a reserved seat or just a guaranteed entry? I know the theatre is quite a bit smaller than Divina. If the early (first show?) is 7 would that be a better option or is that still pushing it to get to a 745 sitting in the MDR (Thats even assuming we get our preferred time). As ihave read you get 15 mins grace before they shut the doors and tbh i dont want to appear rude and consistently arrive late at a table

Maybe im reading things wrong but the dining times on Seaside dont seem to fit as well with the shows like they appeared to on Divina.

Any advice or information here would really be appreciated. I loved the shows on our last 2 Divina cruises and would have hoped to see all of them on Seaside. I also enjoyed the MDR and would like to experince both. Am i asking/expecting too much? :confused:

Hi Bob,

Thanks for posting your review. Enjoyed it. Quick question: where is access to the VIP restaurant? Thanks in advance.

If you mean the specialty restaurants entrance, it is on deck 16 near the front elevators. If you mean the Yacht Club restaurant, it is on deck 18 and can only be entered from the Yacht Club.

I see too we have to reserve shows is that a reserved seat or just a guaranteed entry? I know the theatre is quite a bit smaller than Divina. If the early (first show?) is 7 would that be a better option or is that still pushing it to get to a 745 sitting in the MDR (Thats even assuming we get our preferred time). As ihave read you get 15 mins grace before they shut the doors and tbh i dont want to appear rude and consistently arrive late at a table

Any advice or information here would really be appreciated. I loved the shows on our last 2 Divina cruises and would have hoped to see all of them on Seaside. I also enjoyed the MDR and would like to experince both. Am i asking/expecting too much? :confused:

It is only a guaranteed entry and 5 minutes before the show starts they let people in who don't have reservations if seats are available. I'm sure you will be able to attend one of the shows. There were always open seats at the late performance. They do start right on time so don't be too late. Cruise Director Andre opens each show and is also there to wind them up.

If you mean the specialty restaurants entrance, it is on deck 16 near the front elevators. If you mean the Yacht Club restaurant, it is on deck 18 and can only be entered from the Yacht Club.

Meant the Yacht Club restaurant. We are in 18001 and can't tell from the deck plans if there is an entrance to the restaurant right outside our cabin door. Thanks.

Meant the Yacht Club restaurant. We are in 18001 and can't tell from the deck plans if there is an entrance to the restaurant right outside our cabin door. Thanks.
I was on deck 16 so I really don't know. From the deck plans I have it does look like there is an entrance there. There is no entrance to the Lounge from 16001 because of the location of the bar, but I don't see any obstruction between 18001 and the restaurant. Maybe someone who knows for sure can chime in here. Bob Edited by CTBob

I was on deck 16 so I really don't know. From the deck plans I have it does look like there is an entrance there. There is no entrance to the Lounge from 16001 because of the location of the bar, but I don't see any obstruction between 18001 and the restaurant. Maybe someone who knows for sure can chime in here. Bob
OK, Cruisergal1208 says that there is no entrance there so you will have to walk back until you can cross over to the starboard side walkway. I thought the hostess was always standing on our side. Therefore there should be no foot traffic passing your cabin except the crew. Bob

OK, Cruisergal1208 says that there is no entrance there so you will have to walk back until you can cross over to the starboard side walkway. I thought the hostess was always standing on our side. Therefore there should be no foot traffic passing your cabin except the crew. Bob

Just to be clear, I never saw an entrance on the port side and we were expected to enter from deck 18 or walk up staircase from the lounge.