Balconies

MSPCUBS

Actually only a small door near the railing can be opened. Your cabin steward can open it for you and lock it in place so that it doesn't bang when the ship is moving.

You can see the small door that opens near the railing:

enhance

You can see the black knob at the top that the cabin steward and lock open:

enhance

I am having trouble visualizing the pictures. Are you saying that once the door is opened, it doesn't create a full open large balcony? Is it a small opening that you can walk through, but there would still be a barrier between the 2 balconies?

I am having trouble visualizing the pictures. Are you saying that once the door is opened, it doesn't create a full open large balcony? Is it a small opening that you can walk through, but there would still be a barrier between the 2 balconies?

Just the curved part opens - not the full separation panel. So you will have an open gate between the two balconies but not one full open double balcony. Other ships I believer have different configurations that do allow more open access, but this partition has to go somewhere so it cannot disappear totally.

The primary purpose of these openings is to allow crew to move between balconies when they clean and hose down these outdoor surfaces, rather than having to move from separate cabin to separate cabin. Hence they do just provide this minimal access between the balconies, instead of what I understand you are hoping for, full open access between the two cabins with a fully disappearing separation panel..

That's disappointing.

If you are two couples, this wouldn't work, but if you are parents and kids, you might consider getting an Signature Suite plus an inside cabin, so you can all use the large balcony... or a Neptune Suite for all of you... If you stick with the two small balconies, don't worry - In Alaska there isn't a lot of sitting around on balconies because it's chilly, and on glacier viewing days you'll probably want to be out and about on deck viewing from various places on the ship, unless you have one of the aforementioned suites. You'll have a great time on Noordam in Alaska whatever you do!

I was having trouble visualizing it, too, and I have had the door between the balconies opened before. If I recall correctly, our door swung back to lie flat against the main part of the divider. That picture doesn't look like what I recall. It looks like the small part of the balcony that opens is sticking straight across the balcony, making the balcony seem much, much smaller.

We had the door opened between our cabin and our friends' cabin, but we didn't use it much. I was always afraid to go onto their balcony for fear I'd see something they'd rather have kept private. ;p

I'd rather keep my balcony private...you can invite others over when you want...and 4 can fit onto one balcony. NO balconies open up fully...on any cruise line or ship, as far as I know! When they open, it's a doorway only...not the entire divider.

Actually like this opening, the 2 cabins can socialize at the railing, while having some privacy. On a Princess ship opening was at balcony door needing both to be on one balcony for viewing and not semiprivate.

Sent from my iPad using Forums