Worth the $$$ for aft-facing balcony North-bound cruise?

LadyLeo84

We LOVE aft-facing balconies on our cruises, but don't know if it's worth the extra money to book one on an Alaskan cruise that is North-bound from Vancouver to Anchorage. Would we see more scenery if we booked a starboard balcony cabin instead?

Would love to hear from cruisers that have stayed in the aft-facing cabins. I know there is less wind on the back of the ship, but just want to make sure that we get the best views.

Thanks to everyone in advance!!

As a photographer, I always sail in aft staterooms for the full view that those on the sides of the ship cannot see unless they roam about the ship and compete for space at the railings. Aft balconies are also usable when the ship is moving because there is no wind. Room Service breakfast on your balcony in Alaska is a great way to start the day.

As a photographer, I always sail in aft staterooms for the full view that those on the sides of the ship cannot see unless they roam about the ship and compete for space at the railings. Aft balconies are also usable when the ship is moving because there is no wind. Room Service breakfast on your balcony in Alaska is a great way to start the day.

I am also a photographer and have booked an aft balcony for a southbound trip from Whittier to Vancouver. I am so excited for my June trip!

Beth

we usually get inside cabins on our cruises, but we made the exception with the Alaska north bound in July, we sprung for a aft mini suite, this is my wife's bucket list cruise so we had to o it.....room service breakfast sound real good...

If you normally book them, then absolutely do it.

For Alaska, if you're new to booking balconies and cost is an issue, a regular balcony is more than adequate to get you great views without having to fight the crowds (and you can duck back into your room to warm up when you get cold). To me, a balcony (anywhere) is more worth it in Alaska than in a tropical place. The ship turns around at the glaciers so it isn't as critical which side of the ship you're on.

YES!!!! Book as soon as they open the sailing in the morning if possible. When we booked ours we waited till early evening and by then there were only 3 or 4 left! We both loved the aft cabin. My husband is a photographer and got some awesome pictures and video. Mount a Gopro in time lapse mode got amazing footage. Enjoy your cruise!

Had an aft balcony/suite on our first Alaskan cruise and enjoyed it. Being able to see side views as well the back views from the ship was nice. Large suite was also nice. The best views will always be from the top decks but sure nice to be able to go back inside to warm up every now and then.

Our next cruise to Alaska, next June, we have booked a regular balcony. Did not want to spend the extra money at this time.

If you can afford it, book an aft balcony. They sell out quick, so book early.