Free Specialty Dining

WVBill

Has anyone been on one of the Princess Anniversary Sale cruises that include Free Specialty Dining? Isn't that going to overwhelm those restaurants? I mean 3,000+ people wanting reservations in two or three places? I did see where it says "Princess Cruises reserves the right to pre-assign Specialty Dining times and location" So I imagine I could get aboard and find they have assigned me to Salty Dog Gastro Pub at 7:30 PM on the day we're in San Francisco until 11:00 - which I wouldn't use - so there goes my Free Specialty Dining perk. On the other hand, suppose I want to go to Crown Grille and am willing to pay the $29pp - but they've assigned all the available seating times to others as a Free perk.

3,000 people spread among 3 specialty restaurants over a 7 night cruise is 142 people per restaurant per night. I don't think the restaurants are that big, nor can their kitchens handle that many meals even if they turn every table three times a night.

I can see this as being troublesome - anyone have actual experience?

Exactly as above--if you don't like your assignment' date=' call and ask that it be changed (after you are on board). They will work with you. And passengers booked with all sorts of prices and plans. Many people will not have this perk as part of their reservation.[/quote']

Good points - I hadn't thought about those that might not book while the sale is on. And good to know they're flexible on the assignments.

Thanks

All promotions are capacity limited. Heck, all bookings on the ship period are capacity limited (but for a different reason.)

Yes, I’ve taken a couple of cruises using the specialty restaurant promotion. So far, haven’t had a problem booking the restaurant for the day and relative time I want. One think I did learn is that if you’re booked as a solo, your promotion is for two dinners. You can bring a guest.

I have a question about this as well. Does free specialty dining only apply to Sabatinis and CG? Or can you use it for things like Chef Table or UBD? I never even thought about using it for Salty Dog or one of the others.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I have a question about this as well. Does free specialty dining only apply to Sabatinis and CG? Or can you use it for things like Chef Table or UBD? I never even thought about using it for Salty Dog or one of the others.
Can’t use it for Chef’s Table, Winemaker’s Dinner, Ultimate Balcony Breakfast or Ultimate Balcony Dinner. Not sure about Salty Dog or Share. Different ships have different specialty restaurants. You can use it for Sterling Steakhouse or Crab Shack.

Can’t use it for Chef’s Table, Winemaker’s Dinner, Ultimate Balcony Breakfast or Ultimate Balcony Dinner. Not sure about Salty Dog or Share. Different ships have different specialty restaurants. You can use it for Sterling Steakhouse or Crab Shack.

I remember reading posts that it could be applied to the cost of Share, but you need to pay the difference vs. the Crown Grill cost.

If you have a specialty dining credit, does the cruise line ever allow you to turn it into OTB?

We have two since our TA gifted us a meal and we booked under promo including dinner.

I would be curious about this also. We took an upsell to a suite and received a free balcony breakfast for 2, 45.00, that we will not use due to breakfast in Sabatinis. I wonder if we can get the onboard credit for it instead. If not, no biggie.

In the past I have tried to book under the terms of some promotion and been told that I could not as what I wanted to book was capacity limited. I have taken that to mean that only a certain percentage of cabins could be booked under the terms of the promotions.

Simple do not take no for answer, they will figure it out.

I would be curious about this also. We took an upsell to a suite and received a free balcony breakfast for 2, 45.00, that we will not use due to breakfast in Sabatinis. I wonder if we can get the onboard credit for it instead. If not, no biggie.

Talk to customer service, i would insist they work something for you, may a bottle wine?

On my last cruise sip & sale + specialty...Emerald..I received a note in room made reservation myself, ship was offering Share for $29 so selected that restaurant. ... Share has much improved since our last experience a year ago, Oct. with the old menu.

OP if everyone got the promo ..the ship would be sold out rather quickly...;) but as another poster noted it is capacity controlled they would just pull your sailing off the promo.

Edited by land lover

In the past I have tried to book under the terms of some promotion and been told that I could not as what I wanted to book was capacity limited. I have taken that to mean that only a certain percentage of cabins could be booked under the terms of the promotions.

I agree, I do know I have booked 2 cruises that at first had a promo, then it was removed from one, then both...then the anniversary promo started neither showed it available until a month in....now one sailing is sold out...promos come and go on certain sailings..

I remember the first offering of Sip & Sail...many people were stating on CC that certain Alaska sailings were at capacity for the promo. Still could get a Balcony but not with the promo.

If you have a specialty dining credit, does the cruise line ever allow you to turn it into OTB?

We have two since our TA gifted us a meal and we booked under promo including dinner.

Sometimes the TA one can be turned into OBC, sometimes not.

Ask at the Customer Service desk. If they say "no." Seek out a supervisor.

We never get the good offers, or the upsells, or the upgrades! I believe the on-going UK promotion is entitled 'Be glad we allow you to book a cruise at all' ;p

Well it is fitting that you blokes should feel privileged to even be aboard the colonists' ship. ;);):D

We have had the specialty dining promo and once on the ship I went to the CG or equivalent and booked the time/date I wanted without any problem. On our last cruise on the Ruby, they offered SHARE at the CG rate and we used our promo to book SHARE for our first visit. It was good but not good enough to cough up an extra $10. The room was mostly empty and the biggest table (~8) were crew members.

Promotions--- What promotions ? Ah, that we in the UK ever get the same promotions !

Not true - just booked a 7 night Fjord cruise in July on Sapphire. Used offer of 3rd/4th passenger in room which for a balcony was £138 each for the whole cruise. An inside was I think around £100 per person.

I then priced it up on a US specific site plus the US Costco site which both had the anniversary offer and total price was massively more - I'm talking way over £1000 for 4 people. Yes I'd get a meal in a speciality restaraunt and a bit of OBC but nothing anywhere near the UK 3rd/4th person offer.