Taking water onboard

russnleanne

For those who were able to get a case of water on board, good for you.

I arrived at the terminal for Getaway with 4 closed small bottles of water. They would not let those pass security and I had to toss 4 sealed never opened bottles of water in the trash. It was July and the temperature at the port was in the 90's.

That along with other challenges such as their "free" UBP, UDP etc. that come with high costs for service charges, room service charges for food in your stateroom etc. are why we thought, why do we need to sail on this line? We are being nickled and dimed and I can sail on other lines with less hassle.

So we do sail on other lines and have less of a hassle.

I have posted this before but will remind you all again. The ice bucket and the ice placed in it everyday should be viewed with scrutiny. Your room steward usually cleans your room, toilet, sink, shower etc while wearing rubber gloves. He/she is also handling your ice bucket/fresh ice while also wearing those rubber gloves. If you think your steward is changing his/her gloves a couple dozen times per day, more power to you. With 10-15 rooms on the daily cleaning schedule it's no wonder so many people get sick while on a cruise.

I have posted this before but will remind you all again. The ice bucket and the ice placed in it everyday should be viewed with scrutiny. Your room steward usually cleans your room, toilet, sink, shower etc while wearing rubber gloves. He/she is also handling your ice bucket/fresh ice while also wearing those rubber gloves. If you think your steward is changing his/her gloves a couple dozen times per day, more power to you. With 10-15 rooms on the daily cleaning schedule it's no wonder so many people get sick while on a cruise.

Well, I'll just give my perspective on this, from the USPH regulations on gloving for cabin stewards, to what we learned in USPH training, to what I've seen done on the ships.

First, USPH requires glove changing between "dirty" and "clean" actions. One training exercise done in the USPH training classes is to list all the individual actions required to service a passenger cabin (clean sink, toilet, empty trash, make bed, fill ice, etc), and then determine which are "dirty" and which are "clean". You are then given a fixed number of gloves and tasked to determine the grouping and order of completing the tasks with that number of gloves. This is why the cabin stewards have several cabins open at a time, so that they can do these "task groupings" for several cabins using the same gloves. Now this does not cross-contaminate, since "dirty" jobs all involve cleaning solutions to sanitize the glove as much as sanitize the "dirty" surface. And clean gloves across several cabins only touch clean items. And, I've seen the tens of thousands of gloves loaded each and every week.

annnnnndddd......no. Completely wrong. Good try though.

This is one thing I miss from Princess. You can bring a bottle of wine per passenger onboard for free. And you can buy their water at around 63 cents per bottle, delivered to stateroom.

Last time I checked, Princess and then NCL were the best lines for avid wine drinkers who prefer a particular bottle. Both allow you to bring on as much as you like, and Princess exempts the first bottle from the corkage fee. So, you could take a case of wine on at embarkation instead of just two bottles per cabin, as most lines have. Disney only allows 2, but also allows 2 per port if you want to try local wines.

Funny how some complain about the nickel and dimes on NCL yet they are here posting their comments on the NCL board. Why bother? Most people I've met on ships, in 33 cruises, never heard of Cruise Critic anyway. But to the point of the OP,

I've been on 6 or 7 NCL cruises and there is plenty of bottled water for purchase and I also found the tap water, while tasting rather flat, acceptable. If you can't afford a few bottles of water on the ship, perhaps you shouldn't be spending thousands of dollars on a cruise. Of course, that is my opinion as a disclaimer for the flamers.

It's all the trips to the restaurants and buffet that are making your body swell.

Please don’t cloud the discussion with facts. Everyone knows that the swelling is from the water because they didn’t put salt on anything or exercise more, or eat nachos, etc. it’s always the water. :)

At the risk of piling on, it's bad form to make nonsense up just to be scandalous. Regardless of your theory about rabid germ transmission via stewards, they use these new inventions called ice scoops. Also, they're trained to change gloves when moving from a "dirty" action to one requiring clean hands. Lastly, let's see your data about "so many people" getting sick while on a cruise. Those that do become ill because of all the morons who can't use a pair on tongs in the buffet, not because your room steward (who I see you stiff by removing DSC) is germing up the ice.

So many people get sick while cruising because so many other disgusting people will not wash their hands! I can't even tell you how many times I have seen people leaving the bathrooms without washing their hands, people entering the buffet telling the washy washy people not to spray their hands, people standing in line at the buffet, eating from their dishes (they can't wait until they sit down?), then touching the serving tongs. Sorry if this sounds abrupt, but WASH YOUR HANDS !!!!

I’m glad that they no longer allow cases of water-to think the number of plastic bottles that will get tossed...so much waste! I’m fine with tap water at home and on the ship.

The plastic bottles on the ship are recycled. They do a great job with that.

The plastic bottles on the ship are recycled. They do a great job with that.

Unfortunately recycling doesn’t illuminate waste, it’s better than the landfill, but still leaves a significant carbon footprint for something that is (in must cases) unnecessary.

Unfortunately recycling doesn’t illuminate waste, it’s better than the landfill, but still leaves a significant carbon footprint for something that is (in must cases) unnecessary.

Well, don't drive your car or take an airplane to the ship.

p.s. "eliminate".

All joking aside though, I get your point and it is very valid.

Well, don't drive your car or take an airplane to the ship.

p.s. "eliminate".

All joking aside though, I get your point and it is very valid.

Clearly a typo, but thanks for pointing it out. Transportation is necessary ( I can’t walk from Toronto), but not using plastic bottles is pretty easy to avoid. Sometimes it is the little things that make the biggest difference.

Yet usually it's the largest things that make the biggest difference. If you're truly worried about carbon footprint, traveling thousands of miles for leisure is not necessary.

Not to say don't recycle or try to reduce, but it is a literal drop in the bucket compared to the emissions a cruise ship and transportation to it is.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk