Are cabins ready when you board?

mrstmaxx

HAL's policy is to have the cabins ready by 11:30 am. Over the last several years they have always been ready for us. Of course, if the ship experiences a late arrival or some other significant issue this might not happen, but again that would be an exception, not the rule.

HAL started this initiative quite a while ago and it is nice to be able to go straight to your cabin. They are always ready when you board unless a) there is a CDC inspection (doesn't happen often) or b) there is deep cleaning for Noro (doesn't happen often either)

In both those cases, boarding is usually delayed and cabins may not be ready. But those circumstances are few and far between.

Usually, HAL sends an email to notify but if the CDC inspection is a surprise one, they can't do so, of course.

We had a slightly different experience while on board the Nieuw Amsterdam last July. We boarded the ship shortly after the boarding process began. Once inside the ship, for whatever reason, we were immediately directed to an elevator that took us directly to the buffet. About 30 minutes after we ate, we were told that the cabins were ready. We are scheduled to sail on the NA in June so we will see how the process goes this time.

We had a slightly different experience while on board the Nieuw Amsterdam last July. We boarded the ship shortly after the boarding process began. Once inside the ship, for whatever reason, we were immediately directed to an elevator that took us directly to the buffet. About 30 minutes after we ate, we were told that the cabins were ready. We are scheduled to sail on the NA in June so we will see how the process goes this time.

I have also experienced this attempt to direct embarking guests to the Lido Restaurant. Usually, not, but it has happened a couple of times. I politely refuse, go on my own towards the forward or aft elevators, and go where I wish to go.

I have also experienced this attempt to direct embarking guests to the Lido Restaurant. Usually, not, but it has happened a couple of times. I politely refuse, go on my own towards the forward or aft elevators, and go where I wish to go.

Good to know, thanks. We felt as though we didn't have an option as they were opening up their arms as a gathering gesture and kept moving us all towards the elevators.

Thank you everyone!! And good to know we can politely refuse to be directed to the buffet and go to our room:) Very much appreciate this information.

Just be aware: your stateroom may, indeed, not be ready for your occupancy. That may be the reason for the attempt to direct you elsewhere: keep guests "out of the Cabin Stewards hair". If so, don't linger in your stateroom. Put your carry-on in a closet and go elsewhere.