Fee for Changing a Booking

Kennedysa

Last week I changed our 10 night Pacific Coastal Cruise on Infinity to a 9 night Pacific Coastal Cruise on Eclipse. I received a phone call from Celebrity today telling me I owed a $25 change fee for each of us because I downgraded our cruise from a 10 night cruise to a 9 night cruise. I have never changed a cruise once booked so don't know if this is normal for Celebrity. Has this happened to anyone?

Celebrity hasn’t charged in the past but there are a few TA agencies that charge a fee for any change and all changes in a booking.

It could be because you choose the non refundable deposit price on the original booking.

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

Celebrity hasn’t charged in the past but there are a few TA agencies that charge a fee for any change and all changes in a booking.

It could be because you choose the non refundable deposit price on the original booking.

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

I booked the cruise when we were on the Solstice in May. They were offering an OBC equal to your deposit for the cruise you were booking or for the cruise you were currently on. We took it for our Solstice cruise which made the deposit non-refundable. It was a win-win to us because we didn't look at it as losing any money if we did cancel the cruise. If she had said the charge was because we had a non-refundable deposit, the phone call would have made more sense to me.

No loss on the non-refundable because of the OBC, same offer is out there so will call, cancel and re-book tomorrow. Perhaps another agent can better explain the $25 per person extra they wanted.

The dollar amount of the bonus OBC that you receive for an on board booking is based on the cabin class and the duration of your cruise. For all classes, the OBC for a 6-9 night cruise is $50 less per cabin than the OBC for a 10-13 night cruise. When you transfer your reservation to a different cruise or cabin, the bonus is recalculated. Since you applied the original bonus to your the cruise that you were on at the time rather than to your future cruise, you know owe for the reduction in the bonus.

The dollar amount of the bonus OBC that you receive for an on board booking is based on the cabin class and the duration of your cruise. For all classes, the OBC for a 6-9 night cruise is $50 less per cabin than the OBC for a 10-13 night cruise. When you transfer your reservation to a different cruise or cabin, the bonus is recalculated. Since you applied the original bonus to your the cruise that you were on at the time rather than to your future cruise, you know owe for the reduction in the bonus.

This is correct. I changed a booking to another cruise my original was a higher class booked on board I used the OBC on that sailing, they charged me the difference on the two cabin types deposit/ OBC think it was $50

I booked the cruise when we were on the Solstice in May. They were offering an OBC equal to your deposit for the cruise you were booking or for the cruise you were currently on. We took it for our Solstice cruise which made the deposit non-refundable. It was a win-win to us because we didn't look at it as losing any money if we did cancel the cruise. If she had said the charge was because we had a non-refundable deposit, the phone call would have made more sense to me.

No loss on the non-refundable because of the OBC, same offer is out there so will call, cancel and re-book tomorrow. Perhaps another agent can better explain the $25 per person extra they wanted.

If you cancel and re-book, then the loss of your deposit will undoubtedly cost you more money than paying the $50 per cabin increase due to the reduction in the on-board bonus OBC.

Excellent answer.

Do you know if The deposit is fully refundable if I have a booking where I did not yet receive the OBC?

Thanks

Excellent answer.

Do you know if The deposit is fully refundable if I have a booking where I did not yet receive the OBC?

Thanks

If you have your bonus OBC applied to your future cruise and book the refundable deposit fare, rather than the cheaper non-refundable fare, then your deposit is refundable.

Furthermore, they recently made the whole situation even more complicated by implementing both refundable and non-refundable fares, at different prices.

When we recently transferred a booking from one cruise to another, the price for the new cruise displayed on the X website at the time was acceptable to us, so we went ahead and booked the transfer over the phone.

But when we received our new invoice, it showed that we had been charged $200 more than the price showing on their website.

I thought it was a mistake and we had been overcharged, until I discovered what had actually happened when I tried to do a mock booking.

Not until several steps into the booking, did I encounter a new screen where you had to pick either the lower, non-refundable price or the higher, refundable price.

The explanation for our overcharge turned out to be that since our original deposit was fully refundable, they had just transferred us to the refundable price for the new cruise, without explaining that there is now a new, additional charge for a refundable booking.

Edited by fleckle