Flu test and tamiflu

vaca1981

I was diagnosed today and had to call three pharmacies in our small town before I found one that had it. Spent a lot of time on hold trying to get my prescription transferred form one Pharmacy to another. Of course being a Friday, my Dr. closes his office and phones at noon so could not get them to just call it into a different pharmacy. It is epidemic proportion here in our south Georgia town. All that to say, I would almost see if your Family Dr. would give you prescription to fill and take with you, especially if you are flying. It is expensive though. Another natural option that many nurses and NP are recommending is Elderberry Syrup. (Sambucole) is one . The Tamiflu really needs to be started within 24 hours of symptoms to be most effective. I personally would not plan on the ship having it or enough. Just my thoughts as a nurse who also has a chronic lung disease. What ever you decide, have a great cruise and know hand sanitizer will be your best friend.

For influenza that will not be a helpful suggestion.

That is what helps prevent anyone catching it, hand washing is one of the best preventions. It also helps keep you from spreading it if you do have it, by keeping your hands washed before touching anything.

That is what helps prevent anyone catching it, hand washing is one of the best preventions. It also helps keep you from spreading it if you do have it, by keeping your hands washed before touching anything.

Influenza is mainly spread by droplets in the air. It can be spread by contact with objects and hand washing is not completely unhelpful. But, the overwhelming risk, unfortunately, is airborne.

And, yes, I would still wash my hands.

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/disease/spread.htm

Influenza is mainly spread by droplets in the air. It can be spread by contact with objects and hand washing is not completely unhelpful. But, the overwhelming risk, unfortunately, is airborne.

Yes that’s what I was more concerned about. I’d never fly and get on a cruise if we had the flu. I’m more concerned that what happens if you come down with it during the cruise...wonder if they can test u and give tamiflu. I know there is a tamiflu shortage and would hate to get 4 preventive scripts if the ship has them if needed

Yes that’s what I was more concerned about. I’d never fly and get on a cruise if we had the flu. I’m more concerned that what happens if you come down with it during the cruise...wonder if they can test u and give tamiflu. I know there is a tamiflu shortage and would hate to get 4 preventive scripts if the ship has them if needed

They will swab for flu. I am in Vision and brought Tamiflu with me, just in case. I did have the flu shot.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The site you linked actually says to watch your hands like 50 times a day ;) Just not on those (very catchy) words

I swear every time I read a CDC page about how a certain disease is spread I end up completely disgusted. Don't read the norovirus one.

I don't know. The medical center had Acyclovir when I came down with Shingles onboard. I had lesions on my face, in my mouth, and in my ear (on Day 2). It was still an absolutely miserable experience on vacation. I pretty much lost about 7 days of enjoyment.

But I was surprised that they had it onboard because, like Tamiflu, it should be taken within 48 hours of symptoms appearing. Treating Shingles early helped a lot, and I didn't have any scarring or hearing loss.

So they seem to be pretty well stocked. I would never count on a cruise ship having anything that I might need. They might. :o But any preparations that I could make in advance....I would.

Influenza is airborne, clean or dirty hands really do not matter in the transmission.

However, wash your hands every chance you get anyway.

The site you linked actually says to watch your hands like 50 times a day ;) Just not on those (very catchy) words

I swear every time I read a CDC page about how a certain disease is spread I end up completely disgusted. Don't read the norovirus one.

Yeah, it is usually the fecal - oral route, but can be vomitus as well. :o

Grab a box of Zicam nasal swabs. I worked at a medical school with a researcher for the past several years. I'm now at a hospital. There are two credible double-blind studies that Zicam (nasal swabs, NOT the lozenges) reduce symptoms from 9 days to 2.5 if you start using them right away. I always have some on hand now. I will use them 3-4 times per day as soon as I feel that anything is coming on. Never fails me.

I would not waste your money on tamiflu it may decrease symptoms by a day....it only comes in name brand and costs a fortune. The flu is a virus like the cold and tamiflu likely does nothing. Your best bet is hand washing and hoping people cover their mouths when they cough or sneeze.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I would not waste your money on tamiflu it may decrease symptoms by a day....it only comes in name brand and costs a fortune. The flu is a virus like the cold and tamiflu likely does nothing. Your best bet is hand washing and hoping people cover their mouths when they cough or sneeze.

Agreed. Tamiflu is a sham. There is no credible science to back it up and yet it's peddled as a miracle drug.

Agreed. Tamiflu is a sham. There is no credible science to back it up and yet it's peddled as a miracle drug.

I had the flu a few years ago, and took tamiflu. Made me so sick. Swore I’d never take it again but this flu epidemic is making me so nervous. Watching the news they say to take tamiflu :confused:

I agree with both of you. I've never prescribed it. But the marketing has people convinced they need to have it. Taking a chemical like that just to decrease symptoms by a day or so makes little sense.

As for the cruise ship infirmary being able to test for the flu, does it really matter? Plenty of viruses share the same symptoms as the influenza virus. Does it make much difference which one you actually have? Treatment is bases on symptoms not virus specificity.

Edited by Ocean Boy

I agree with both of you. I've never prescribed it. But the marketing has people convinced they need to have it. Taking a chemical like that just to decrease symptoms by a day or so makes little sense.

As for the cruise ship infirmary being able to test for the flu, does it really matter? Plenty of viruses share the same symptoms as the influenza virus. Does it make much difference which on you actually have? Treatment is bases on symptoms not virus specificity.

I asked about testing of the flu for the sole purpose of being given tamiflu. I wouldn’t want to take it or be given it if I didn’t really have the flu. Lots of doctors/urgent care etc around here don’t test for the flu but give you tamiflu based off of your symptoms (not sure about the current flu issue). In 2016 the only place I could get a flu test was at CVS. Like I said before, I would never want to take it again if it wasn’t medically necessary bc it made me so sick. Let’s just hope everyone stays healthy. Looks like you are in my roll call. I’m assuming you are a dr, if I get sick I’m coming to find you :p

Grab a box of Zicam nasal swabs. I worked at a medical school with a researcher for the past several years. I'm now at a hospital. There are two credible double-blind studies that Zicam (nasal swabs, NOT the lozenges) reduce symptoms from 9 days to 2.5 if you start using them right away. I always have some on hand now. I will use them 3-4 times per day as soon as I feel that anything is coming on. Never fails me.

Yes! That stuff is amazing!!!

Is this the newer version of Zicam Nasal Swabs? They had an earlier version that was very effective for me but they took it off the market as it hurt some people's sense of smell.