Husband's xBox account hacked. CC cancelled. Now what?

Kesali

It was MY CC on my husband's xBox account. The cruise was paid with this CC, and I just booked excursions and internet before the sale ended yesterday.

The bank cancelled my CC as over $600 in charges from Microsoft were on it. I'm getting a new CC.

But I thought I read on here once that another member had an issue upon boarding because he/she had a new CC as well.

Will I run into any trouble? Is this something I need to contact my TA and RCL about immediately? We cruise April 15th.

Whenever I have had a CC canceled for fraud - the bank has me go through all the pending/posted charges to say which ones are legit and which are not. They let the legit ones go through. So you should be fine.

If your concern is that you are not using the same CC for your onboard account - don't be. I book and pay for a cruise all the time with one CC and then use another for my onboard account.

Edited by LisaAtlCruiser
Add more to post

Even if you have done your online checkin you can go back online and change the credit card you plan to use for your onboard account. If you have any problems doing that, call RCI. People change the card they plan on using all the time. It shouldn't be a problem, especially since its about 3 months before your cruise. Sorry you got hacked.

It was MY CC on my husband's xBox account. The cruise was paid with this CC, and I just booked excursions and internet before the sale ended yesterday.

The bank cancelled my CC as over $600 in charges from Microsoft were on it. I'm getting a new CC.

But I thought I read on here once that another member had an issue upon boarding because he/she had a new CC as well.

Will I run into any trouble? Is this something I need to contact my TA and RCL about immediately? We cruise April 15th.

You should have no problem, you don't even need a credit card for your onboard account, you can opt for a cash account.

Make sure you call credit card company and let them know you are traveling. I call about a week before so they don't think it is fraudulent charges. They will mark your account with when and where you will be traveling.

You should have no problem, you don't even need a credit card for your onboard account, you can opt for a cash account.

Or you can "choose" a cash account when checking in on line, and then towards the end of your cruise, go to Guest Services and put down whatever credit card you want.

We arrived at FLL on the 18th two days before our Freedom cruise. When I used my Lyft app it said my credit card didn’t work. Called Chase, yep it was hacked and they put a hold on it’s use. I always carry a second card so no problem. Told Chase we would be traveling until February 4. They are keeping my hacked card active for only chip and swipe use. Minor inconvenience.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The way RCI processes onboard charges can actually increase the chances that your credit card company thinks your card is being used fraudulently. On a recent Indy cruise, each onboard charge was immediately put on the credit card, including small separate charges for tips that we added to drink purchases; frequent small charges, especially from an unusual location, can trigger a fraud alert. From what I recall, on all previous cruises I’ve taken, including RCI cruises, the onboard charges were accumulated in the account and put on the credit card as a lump sum at the end of the cruise.

On a related note, my dad’s credit card was hacked on the Indy cruise, in Cozumel, and we had to cancel his card, and put his account on my credit card for the rest of the cruise. Fortunately the onboard charges didn’t trigger a fraud alert on my card, so we didn’t have a problem with that.

Only issue should be if you decide to cancel the excursions or internet. The credit always go back to the original credit card. Just keep that in mind.

The way RCI processes onboard charges can actually increase the chances that your credit card company thinks your card is being used fraudulently. On a recent Indy cruise, each onboard charge was immediately put on the credit card, including small separate charges for tips that we added to drink purchases; frequent small charges, especially from an unusual location, can trigger a fraud alert. From what I recall, on all previous cruises I’ve taken, including RCI cruises, the onboard charges were accumulated in the account and put on the credit card as a lump sum at the end of the cruise. ...

Do these small separate charges actually post to the credit card statement, or are they just authorizations that fall off and you end up with one charge for your onboard account?

The individual charges to the credit card were in pending status, which in my dad’s case caused some of them to be flagged as possibly fraudulent, along with some truly fraudulent pending charges, so it doesn’t really matter if the cruise line consolidates the charges later.

Regarding refunds to a cancelled card, my dad’s credit card company (Chase) said they would accept credits posted to the card. I don’t know if all credit card companies do that.

If the charges have already gone thru, which is usually the case when you book excursions and stuff prior to a cruise, it will have already been paid. When you board, you can give them the new credit card.

This isn't a big deal. Just make sure your bookings are confirmed, and you're good to go.

Thank you everyone! I was worried about being denied an excursion or something. I'm glad to read I should not experience any problems. I have not done online check-in yet so that's ok.

I was thinking of purchasing a couple of other items in the cruise planner since I have the option to cancel later. So glad I did not do this after all.

Yes, Visa did check with me about which charges to remove. The charges only started on Wednesday so it was easy to let them know which ones were real.

I had phoned them earlier to advise we are going away and charges from Florida hotels and a cruise company were valid. We don't use the cards often and wanted to make sure those would go through. I'll make sure to phone the CC company again just before we leave to remind them.

I'm going to keep the cancelled CC on my wallet (marked C with permanent marker) for the trip, along with the new one, just in case I need it.

Guest maddycat
I'm going to keep the cancelled CC on my wallet (marked C with permanent marker) for the trip, along with the new one, just in case I need it.

That is totally unnecessary. Just discard the old card.

I wouldn't think you would have any issues with a different credit card. We are fans of cash accounts. We have done this on the last 4 or 5 cruises. It works well for us. I too have had my credit card hacked just last fall so I went through this same thing (they spent $700 in less than 24 hours at drive thru's buying beer...LOL I don't even drink beer.) At least with cash, its can't be hacked. I like that much better.

Have a great cruise!:)

They are keeping my hacked card active for only chip and swipe use. Minor inconvenience.

I have had cards do this. VERY convenient.

It seems most times I have been hacked, I have been traveling, so having a second card, and also this policy makes life go on.

Only issue should be if you decide to cancel the excursions or internet. The credit always go back to the original credit card. Just keep that in mind.

Cards I have had hacked, if there are refunds, the company knows the old account and new account, and they show up on the current active account.