First Viking Ocean Cruise - Countdown to Departure

offtoalaska

It's a cold rainy day in upstate South Carolina as I begin the countdown to our departure on the Viking Sky. This will be our first time on Viking; our seven day cruise begins Sunday, February 4 sailing from Miami. To be honest I started the countdown in December when we disembarked the Crystal Serenity in Charleston. (Fabulous 14 days in the Caribbean!) So off we will go to Key West, Cozumel, Merida and Belize City.

Viking's pre-cruise support has been flawless. Impressive travel documents (personalized luggage tags and cruise doc booklet details even including our cabin number and deck plan.) Viking phone support helped secure a table at Manfredi's on the day and time we requested. For some reason we were not able to do this via My Journey but problem easily solved.

Called Viking Air yesterday with a concern regarding possible flight cancellation or delay out of Atlanta. The weather sites were showing freezing rain next Sunday so being the planner that I am I tried to figure out alternatives to arrive in Miami before sail away next Sunday.

The Viking rep was very reassuring and made sure I had the travel emergency number. The good news is the icy forecast is now 30% of rain. Don't know why we did not book our flight to arrive a day prior to sailing we always do with Crystal. Hope this works out.

My husband is tired of listening to me talk about the upcoming cruise so I figured I would start this thread. Kind of the thread to nowhere at this point but I do intend to document our impressions and experiences. Thanks for reading. Stay tuned.

There is a roll call for your sailing and 18 people signed up for the Meet and Mingle.

You should check to see if it is not too late to sign up for the Meet and Mingle. If it is too late, don't worry. You can still attend. Just arrange with someone on the the roll call to e-mail you the details. Viking throws a very nice get together for Cruise Critic members and it is a chance to meet some of the folks who will be sailing with you.

My husband is tired of listening to me talk about the upcoming cruise so I figured I would start this thread.

This made me chuckle. :D

You've found the right place. Plenty of folks here will help you look forward to your cruise!

Not only can you look forward to your cruise but I am sure you can look forward to a smooth trip getting to and from the ship with Viking Air. A big advantage of using them is that they take the responsibility for the arrangements working out, this is especially useful when something unexpected happens.

Our trip back from Rome this time last year was disrupted because of snow in Amsterdam where we changed flights. The Viking air representative not only rebooked us but had us upgraded to business class (at no cost to us) so that we could get the last flight that day into our small regional airport in the UK. This also gave us access to the KLM lounge for what became a 5 hour stopover, turning a problem into a small extension of the vacation :)

I am sure you will love the whole Viking experience and look forward to reading your posts.

There is a roll call for your sailing and 18 people signed up for the Meet and Mingle.

You should check to see if it is not too late to sign up for the Meet and Mingle. If it is too late, don't worry. You can still attend. Just arrange with someone on the the roll call to e-mail you the details. Viking throws a very nice get together for Cruise Critic members and it is a chance to meet some of the folks who will be sailing with you.

The M&M registration site disables the ability to register 1 week before the cruise. After that, rather than just be told when and where, have the instigator of the Meet & Mingle talk with Guest Services on embarkation day to get you added to the invite list. They will need your "real world" names and cabin number. This is what I did on the Central America Panama cruise that concluded a week ago when one of our roll call members missed the Deadline (I was the one who "instigated" the M&M.)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by CharTrav

The M&M registration site disables the ability to register 1 week before the cruise. After that, rather than just be told when and where, have the instigator of the Meet & Mingle talk with Guest Services on embarkation day to get you added to the invite list. They will need your "real world" names and cabin number. This is what I did on the Central America Panama cruise that concluded a week ago when one of our roll call members missed the Deadline (I was the one who "instigated" the M&M.)

Yes, but not everyone who is the first to sign up for an M&M considers themselves "the instigator" or even participates in the roll call to know what is going. Invitations and names are not checked at the door and there are always no-shows, so my feeling is that if you can find out when and where from another member, just show up. I did this for a couple of people on our last cruise. I'm not big on publishing the info on the roll call. If folks are really interested in attending, they can take a minute to e-mail.

I know how excited this couple is, we start our cruise from Puerto Rico on February 5 . But we’re going the day before. Still have to shop but can’t wait. Will miss our fur babies but I know they will be in good hands. Happy travels everyone

Good to see you here Fpacifico! Obviously we’re all eagerly anticipating our vacation. I had to chuckle with the OP as well, it seems that’s all I’m thinking about, trying not to talk about it too much at work - I’m sure those staying in the Chicago winter don’t want to hear about it. We also had the same concern with the flight. First time ever we didn’t go the day before, because the ship overnights in PR before leaving. Can you share that travel emergency number? Calling for “chance of snow “ that Monday, but who knows in Chicago.

Yes, but not everyone who is the first to sign up for an M&M considers themselves "the instigator" or even participates in the roll call to know what is going. Invitations and names are not checked at the door and there are always no-shows, so my feeling is that if you can find out when and where from another member, just show up. I did this for a couple of people on our last cruise. I'm not big on publishing the info on the roll call. If folks are really interested in attending, they can take a minute to e-mail.

Good point. Given that I was both roll call and M&M organizer, I felt a level of responsibility to make sure everything went right. And, as you know, I provided a way for folks to get my direct contact info.

We are sailing on the Viking Sea in March and I know exactly how you feel. It's all I can think about. It's far from my first cruise and not my first Viking experience - we did the Rhine Getaway in 2016. I think part of the reason is that we booked so far out and now it's getting real - doing our shore excursions, Manfredi's reservations. We got our Explorer Society gifts and our documents are supposed to be on the way! All I know is that's it's all I think about. I'm driving everyone who is not going nuts!

We did the Turquoise Caribbean Seas in December on The Viking Sky. We went in a day early since we thought the weather might delay our flights on the actual ship departure date. The cost was $100.00 per person to change our flight to a day earlier.

We loved the ship. Sold out but did not feel crowded. Service and food were great! We really enjoyed the Chef's Table but since it was a short cruise they we only letting you really have one dining experience in the Italian restaurant and Chef's Table.

We have done 9 Viking River cruises so we chose this short Viking ocean cruise to see how the two products compared. Now, we are fans of both. We found if you wanted to do afternoon tea, you needed to go early to get a seat. When we were deciding where to eat lunch, we usually walked around the World Café each day to see what they were having for lunch. Some days there was a shorter buffet line featuring some type of food (Mexican) on the Aquavit Terrace. We enjoyed our excursions to see the Maya ruins which usually got back just a little before the time to be back on the ship. Great introduction to ocean cruising with Viking. Hope your trip is enjoyable as ours.

We are sailing on the Viking Sea in March and I know exactly how you feel. It's all I can think about. It's far from my first cruise and not my first Viking experience - we did the Rhine Getaway in 2016. I think part of the reason is that we booked so far out and now it's getting real - doing our shore excursions, Manfredi's reservations. We got our Explorer Society gifts and our documents are supposed to be on the way! All I know is that's it's all I think about. I'm driving everyone who is not going nuts!

Me too. I just made my husband memorize the Sky's deck plan and view the 360 video tour. Quiz to follow later today. How could anyone not do this daily?

We did the Turquoise Caribbean Seas in December on The Viking Sky. We went in a day early since we thought the weather might delay our flights on the actual ship departure date. The cost was $100.00 per person to change our flight to a day earlier.

We loved the ship. Sold out but did not feel crowded. Service and food were great! We really enjoyed the Chef's Table but since it was a short cruise they we only letting you really have one dining experience in the Italian restaurant and Chef's Table.

We have done 9 Viking River cruises so we chose this short Viking ocean cruise to see how the two products compared. Now, we are fans of both. We found if you wanted to do afternoon tea, you needed to go early to get a seat. When we were deciding where to eat lunch, we usually walked around the World Café each day to see what they were having for lunch. Some days there was a shorter buffet line featuring some type of food (Mexican) on the Aquavit Terrace. We enjoyed our excursions to see the Maya ruins which usually got back just a little before the time to be back on the ship. Great introduction to ocean cruising with Viking. Hope your trip is enjoyable as ours.

Thank you for your comments and good wishes.

The air travel emergency contact number is 1 877 523 0576. The Viking rep indicated this number should be used even if we have travel protection (contradicts what is in the cruise document info on page 5.) We booked our air through Viking so I'm not sure about those who have independent flight arrangements.

Good to see you here Fpacifico! Obviously we’re all eagerly anticipating our vacation. I had to chuckle with the OP as well, it seems that’s all I’m thinking about, trying not to talk about it too much at work - I’m sure those staying in the Chicago winter don’t want to hear about it. We also had the same concern with the flight. First time ever we didn’t go the day before, because the ship overnights in PR before leaving. Can you share that travel emergency number? Calling for “chance of snow “ that Monday, but who knows in Chicago.

tel:1 877 523 0576, hope you have good flying weather, I promise not to drink all the pina coladas up before you get there

Greetings, we missed the sign-up for Meet & Mingle on the Caribbean Cruise on The Sun embarking Monday Feb 5. I also can’t seem to relocate our Roll Call for this cruise. If anyone on the roll call with access to sending us an invite could email me, I’d be so appreciative. Name is Mary Kenny Email: lajolla44atgmail. Thanks so much.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Looking at 5-7 inches is snow in the next two days, but supposed to stop from Sunday night to Monday night! Will breathe a big sigh of relief when we’re wheels up. Did a little happy dance walking out to my car after work last night! Packing starts today.

Greetings, we missed the sign-up for Meet & Mingle on the Caribbean Cruise on The Sun embarking Monday Feb 5. I also can’t seem to relocate our Roll Call for this cruise. If anyone on the roll call with access to sending us an invite could email me, I’d be so appreciative. Name is Mary Kenny Email: lajolla44atgmail. Thanks so much.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Do you mean the Viking Sea out of Puerto Rico . That’s our cruise. I’ll let you know on Monday. My email is fpacifico@aol.com