Can we make an 11:00 a.m. flight from LAX?

Tampa Girl

Sure it does! Just not sure if CBP immigration/customs screening at San Pedro also takes place inside the World Cruise Center. If they come on board Amsterdam to do it, that will help you. Still, up to you of course, but a lot of things can delay you for a 1100 cross-country flight to the home of the TB Lightning ;)

Wouldn't that have already taken place in Honolulu?

If it were me, I would hop on over to the Queen Mary in Long Beach and stay on her. Lots of fun things to do on the Queen (tours, restaurants, lounges) and if one gets bored there is always the free shuttle to downtown Long Beach. Then ExecuCar/Uber/Taxi to LAX the next day.

Here's a better alternative: Stay on the ship another two weeks and get off in FLL! LOL!

I just hope you don't have any bad weather.

A number of years ago we were on a Princess cruise and we hit high winds that slowed down the ship.

We didn't get to the pier until 11 AM!! Our cruise ended the end of November. People were made and many missed flights. Thankfully we stayed overnight and had no worries flying home the next day.

Hope all works out for you.

We have done it in order to get across country and Home at a decent time. You must self disembark and grab a quick cab. Don’t call Uber, go directly to the cab line. Cabbies monitor traffic and want to get you to your destination ASAP, so they can get another fare. Cabbies will take alternate routes as needed and they travel in car pool lanes. Last time we did it fare was $50 or so, travel time 20-30 minutes on a weekday. Forget cruise buses and putting your luggage out the night before.

Of course bad things can happen no matter what the plan is. We are self reliant and resilient and can figure out alternatives, as needed.

... LAX security checks often don't honor PreCheck either. ...

This comment caught my attention. I have PreCheck and take advantage of it frequently at LAX, at various terminals.

OlsSalt, which terminal/airline did you have an issue with PreCheck not being honored?

Just curious ... what happens if, God forbid, you miss the flight? Will they put you on the next flight out or is there a lot of $$$$ involved?

It is an Alaska Air (an AA partner). There will be other flights later, but unless there is an award seat, it will cost up upwards of $700. And even if there is an award seat, it will cost 130k miles. Not good. OTOH, I don't how we can do any worse than taking this chance, although it mean an overnight stay in LA. But since we have no luggage; immigration and customs is not an issue; we can walk off and grab a cab and hope for the best. I always have wanted to see Santa Catalina (I tell myself).

It is an Alaska Air (an AA partner). There will be other flights later, but unless there is an award seat, it will cost up upwards of $700. And even if there is an award seat, it will cost 130k miles. Not good. OTOH, I don't how we can do any worse than taking this chance, although it mean an overnight stay in LA. But since we have no luggage; immigration and customs is not an issue; we can walk off and grab a cab and hope for the best. I always have wanted to see Santa Catalina (I tell myself).

I'm flying the other way that day otherwise I'd come pick you up and take you to LAX. Catalina Island is nice however, in December, not so

This comment caught my attention. I have PreCheck and take advantage of it frequently at LAX, at various terminals.

OlsSalt, which terminal/airline did you have an issue with PreCheck not being honored?

Here is one story about LAX and the PreCheck craziness - as of last year- let's say it is a work in progress with various airlines. We often leave from Bradley International on various airlines or either United or American on domestic or a canadian airline - we have even seen banners indicating they offer Pre-Check only to learn they are not operating that day or for that flight. http://gatetoadventures.com/avoid-crazy-long-security-lines-using-tsa-pre-tom-bradley-international-terminal-lax/

So at this time we don't count on it for LAX 100% for any airline, but do appreciate it when it is available. Part of it as I remember is everyone has to go through the long lines just to enter the security area, and then there might be a Pre-Check queue after you have stood in a long line just to get to that second stage of the process.

Quite a story in that article link - and learned there is now an underground link between Terminal Four (American) to Bradley Terminal which according to the author may have shorter lines and the then you use the tunnel to get back to Bradley for your flight. LAX is undergoing major renovations ....still. The only thing to date that works consistently is the Mayor Garcetti welcome announcement over and over and over again.

We do have Global Entry, for what that is worth.

GOES speeds you through US customs on arrivals, but you may also have gotten a Pre-Check authorization at the same time -there are some numbers on the back of your GOES card that are your "pre-check" numbers that you get included on your boarding pass.

To help speed through your departure is when Pre-Check helps out. If it is available and you don't have the SSSS special screening "random" mark on your boarding pass in which case nothing but a tranquilizer will help that. Even more of a nightmare if you have a short stopover connecting flight. ARRRRGGGHHH - I got stuck once and it was awful - there is nothing you can do but wait for the special agent to show up and plow through everything in an accusatory fashion -

Here is one story about LAX and the PreCheck craziness - as of last year- let's say it is a work in progress with various airlines. We often leave from Bradley International on various airlines or either United or American on domestic or a canadian airline - we have even seen banners indicating they offer Pre-Check only to learn they are not operating that day or for that flight. http://gatetoadventures.com/avoid-crazy-long-security-lines-using-tsa-pre-tom-bradley-international-terminal-lax/

So at this time we don't count on it for LAX 100% for any airline, but do appreciate it when it is available. Part of it as I remember is everyone has to go through the long lines just to enter the security area, and then there might be a Pre-Check queue after you have stood in a long line just to get to that second stage of the process.

Quite a story in that article link - and learned there is now an underground link between Terminal Four (American) to Bradley Terminal which according to the author may have shorter lines and the then you use the tunnel to get back to Bradley for your flight. LAX is undergoing major renovations ....still. The only thing to date that works consistently is the Mayor Garcetti welcome announcement over and over and over again.

Ah ha, TBIT. Yes, I agree with you there... I don't think they even have a Pre-Check line. Thanks for sharing your link. Here is another 'hack' I found online: http://liveandletsfly.boardingarea.com/2017/05/05/best-kept-secret-lax/

Tampa Girl ... my two cents:

Have you considered buying a ticket on Southwest? They are showing a daily 1pm flight from LAX to TPA (change in Houston) for a "Wanna Getaway" fare of $195-$306 for the one way.

Even with you needing a Christmastime flight, booking as soon as Southwest opens the date may be possible. Then, once you get Southwest booked, you could get your miles refunded for (I think) $150 and be way ahead. Just a possible "PLAN B" and some stress relief. Have a great cruise!

Cheers!

Tampa Girl ... my two cents:

Have you considered buying a ticket on Southwest? They are showing a daily 1pm flight from LAX to TPA (change in Houston) for a "Wanna Getaway" fare of $195-$306 for the one way.

Even with you needing a Christmastime flight, booking as soon as Southwest opens the date may be possible. Then, once you get Southwest booked, you could get your miles refunded for (I think) $150 and be way ahead. Just a possible "PLAN B" and some stress relief. Have a great cruise!

Cheers!

Good news, Southwest is the first terminal in the LAX departure drop-off loop.

Or try the alternate John Wayne airport in Orange County. I don't think they still call it John Wayne so look for surrounding airports -may not be that much further away but not going into the downtown LA traffic.

Airlines that use SNA - John Wayne Airport - any help here for your FF miles?

AirlinePhone NumberTerminalParkingAlaska Airlines(800) 426-0333BB2 / CAmerican Airlines(800) 433-7300AA1 / A2Delta Air Lines(800) 221-1212AA1 / A2Frontier Airlines(801) 401-9000CB2 / CSouthwest Airlines(800) 435-9792CB2 / CUnited Airlines(800) UNITED-1BB2 / CWestJet(888) 937-8538 AA1 / A2

Good news, Southwest is the first terminal in the LAX departure drop-off loop.

Or try the alternate John Wayne airport in Orange County. I don't think they still call it John Wayne so look for surrounding airports -may not be that much further away but not going into the downtown LA traffic.

Airlines that use SNA - John Wayne Airport - any help here for your FF miles?

AirlinePhone NumberTerminalParkingAlaska Airlines(800) 426-0333BB2 / CAmerican Airlines(800) 433-7300AA1 / A2Delta Air Lines(800) 221-1212AA1 / A2Frontier Airlines(801) 401-9000CB2 / CSouthwest Airlines(800) 435-9792CB2 / CUnited Airlines(800) UNITED-1BB2 / CWestJet(888) 937-8538 AA1 / A2

Thanks you, OlsSalt, for taking the time and trouble to provide all this info. I will check these out. Incidentally, I read on Flyer Talk yesterday that Virgin Atlantic is merging in April with Alaska Air, which provides more transcontinental routes. I will also check into that.

Also, thanks to those who suggested SWA. I tried to look at their December itineraries a few days ago, and the calendar did not go beyond August. Also, I have found that these wonderful low fares are not applicable on December 21st, which is apparently going to be the big travel day - long weekend, etc.

Will spend the next two days researching further. Our hold on Alaska air is up on the 2nd.

OlsSalt - do you know where Alaska Airlines is on the dropoff loop at LAX?

Here is the LAX map - Alaska is Terminal 6 - so you will have some loop traffic to wade through before you get there.

https://www.flylax.com/-/media/FlyLax/PDFs/Getting-Around-LAX/LAX-Airline-Location-Map.ashx

This may not be the worst traffic delay on the route if you used a limo, but does need to be factored when you were still trying to get to that 11am departure. It would have been a disaster if you were using a shuttle that stopped at five other terminals and unloaded luggage at each one.

Hope something better shows up at John Wayne for Alaska Airlines. When you catch your breath, maybe you can then tell us why a Tampa Girl has run up so many FF miles on Alaska Airlines? ;p

Ack! The Friday before Christmas LAX is going to be an absolute zoo. Getting close to LAX and the traffic will no doubt be an absolute zoo too. Although you do, technically, have it going for you that the traffic should be Friday light otherwise and the schools will be out already for the Holiday recess. I think I would opt for a later flight or one the next day.