Gluten free option

Oakrigde

Yes, talk to the head chefs or maitre 'd at each dining venue. They will help. They surely have hundreds of people each cruise with dietary restrictions, even some that are very serious like Celiac and other auto immune diseases.

The problem with the buffet and signs is that some people are ignorant of cross contamination and might use utensils from other dishes. You just never know. If one doesn't know that simply removing a crouton from a lettuce salad has rendered the salad inedible by a person with Celiac, they might not know about utensils either.

Celebrity is very good with their gluten-free selections. The issue that I encountered at the buffet, which I seldom eat at, was that the signs for gluten-free desserts - those small cut-up cakes, are sometimes put in wrongly, labelling one tray of gluten-free cakes and another tray which was exactly the same as "regular". A regular cake can also be labelled as "gluten-free" and it should not. I pointed out the people at the counter several times and it was "oh, ok, let me switch the signs here." Do not trust those desserts at the buffet.

Cafe Al Bacio has lovely cakes that are gluten-free, not just macaroons.

The waiters that I had were also very helpful in working with the kitchen in making some of the items on the menu as gluten-free through modifications.

I am Gluten Free. I was on the Summit last year they were wonderful. We dined in Blu, were they brought me my Gluten free bread every morning and a muffin offering, after the first day with out my asking. They pointed out on the menu what was GF every night and on the Buffet you could ask for GF bread and they had the most amazing selections of GF deserts, in the afternoon, I have ever tasted. I am looking forward to a repeat of this in three months.

Sent from my RCT6S03W12 using Forums mobile app

• 1 year later...

In 2017, The Eclipse's pizza station in the buffet had an open prep area where they roll the dough. Flour was everywhere. I am highly sensitive, and since flour stays airborne and can land anywhere, I avoided the buffet completely. 

Truth be told, I probably would have avoided the buffet regardless, due to cross-contamination risk, but it is nice for the desserts they put in the single-serve, individual containers (as long as they are labeled correctly, of course).

I recently learned that The Edge has a completely separate gluten-free line in the buffet! I would LOVE that, as long as there isn't any free-flying flour around. Has anyone here been on The 

Edge as a gluten-free diner? How did it go for you?

I hope all of the Celebrity ships start doing this. Does anyone know if they do? I have not cruised since 2017, although I do have one coming up soon, on the Eclipse.

Edited by TravelKnitter

13 hours ago, Wildcatllamas said:

I don't have Celiac  but due to my RA if I eat gluten my joints will begin to swell within an hour. My question is regarding the quality of their gluten free breads. So many I have tried are so horrible.

On Equinox this January, the gluten free bread was all pre-packaged from a US or Canadian industry bakery, I don't remember the company name. My wife said it was VERY good though, especially comparing to other gluten-free bread brands that are available here in Europe (Schär ao.). The pasta and pizza bases are made (fresh?) onboard, from what I remember. Both the pasta and the pizzas were excellent, according to my wife.

52 minutes ago, mikkelhansen said:

On Equinox this January, the gluten free bread was all pre-packaged from a US or Canadian industry bakery, I don't remember the company name. My wife said it was VERY good though, especially comparing to other gluten-free bread brands that are available here in Europe (Schär ao.). The pasta and pizza bases are made (fresh?) onboard, from what I remember. Both the pasta and the pizzas were excellent, according to my wife.

Thank you so much. I tried gluten free bread and pizza on a Princess cruises and it was awful. Norwegian has wonderful gluten free rolls in Modernos. So this is good to know. I am usually good about avoiding breads, etc but sometimes I just want a bread or even a slice of pizza.

We went on one of the celebrity ships to Scandinavia and Russia last year. We were in the aqua class which has their own restaurant  Someone may have already referred to this previously. They were so nice. Every night they would give me the menu for the following night and made sure that what I picked was prepared gluten-free. Definitely worth  extra cost to be in this class on the ship. 

4 hours ago, Oakrigde said:

We went on one of the celebrity ships to Scandinavia and Russia last year. We were in the aqua class which has their own restaurant  Someone may have already referred to this previously. They were so nice. Every night they would give me the menu for the following night and made sure that what I picked was prepared gluten-free. Definitely worth  extra cost to be in this class on the ship. 

I have not cruised X yet, but that is how it works on Disney, Royal, Holland America, and did on fathom when it existed. Even in commoner class. No need to be “extra” for pre-ordering when allergies are involved.