Help a Cruise Newbie out with some basic questions.

nielgirl

I’ve wanted togo on a cruise for quite awhile now but my husband has always been leery because a big part of a holiday for him is lying around at the pool &beach. Then I had some health issues (breast cancer) and that put everything onhold.

I’m back up and at it now and hoping to make up for lost time and my husband is eager to see us go on our first cruise.

My husband & I are in our early 50’s and from the reviews we seem to prefer the more peaceful cruise ships like the Holland America & Princess Cruise Lines. With this being our first cruise, we’re looking at the ship as being the destination and not hugely interested in trekking far from the ship on excursions. My husband loves the idea of the ports in Half Moon Cay and Grand Turk as we can just hop off the ship right to a beach next to the ship. He’ll be able to satisfy his beach fix easily.

I’m going to post these same questions in the Princess forum section because we’re still humming & hawing over which one to try first.

We live in Ontario Canada and will be booking our cruise for early April to one of thevarious Caribbean options. We’re flexible in going to 7, 10, or 14 days. We’d like to book a balcony room probably the Veranda series.

Forgive me if some of these questions have been answered countless times, but the forum has so much information that it’s just a bit overwhelming.

Onto thequestions.

• At Half Moon Cay – I understand you have to tender from the ship to the beach. Is the tendering fee included in the cruise package? Also do the tender boats have schedules that they run back & forth between the shore and the ship so that we could go back to the ship for lunch or dinner?
  • At Half Moon Cay – Is the beach access here included in the cruise package price?
  • At Grand Turk – Is the beach access here included in the cruise package price?
  • At Grand Turk – Can you come & go as you please from the beach to the ship and so forth since the ship is docked?
  • Does either Half Moon Cay or Grand Turk have a port terminal like Costa Maya and do you have to pay extra to use the facilities at the Port Terminal?
  • I understand that the Costa Maya cruise terminal is one stop that some of the Holland America ships make. Are the facilities/beach at Costa Maya (other than the restaurants) included in the cruise package price?
  • Regarding the dress code – What is the excepted dress code for the main dining room. My husband is Mr. Casual. The only time he ever wears a suit is for weddings,funerals & business when required. He’s hoping he can wear dockers & acollared polo shirt to the main dining room meals. With that in mind what isthe accepted dress code for women.
  • What is the accepted dress code for the buffets?
  • We appear to have the options of the ms Eurodam, ms Veendam, ms Nieuw Statendamfor the dates & locations we’d considering. Does anyone have any preferences regarding these three ships? We were originally looking at the ms Koningsdam but the dates don’t line up for us.

Edited by nielgirl

I’ve wanted to go on a cruise for quite awhile now but myhusband has always been leery because a big part of a holiday for him is lyingaround at the pool & beach. Then I had some health issues (breast cancer)and that put everything on hold.

I’m back up and at it now and hoping to make up for losttime and my husband is eager to see us go on our first cruise.

My husband & I are in our early 50’s and from thereviews we seem to prefer the more peaceful cruise ships like the HollandAmerica & Princess Cruise Lines. With this being our first cruise, we’relooking at the ship as being the destination and not hugely interested intrekking far from the ship on excursions. My husband loves the idea of theports in Half Moon Cay and Grand Turk as we can just hop off the ship right toa beach next to the ship. He’ll be able to satisfy his beach fix easily.

I’m going to post these same questions in the Princess forumsection because we’re still humming & hawing over which one to try first.

We live in Ontario Canada and will be booking our cruise forearly April to one of the various Caribbean options. We’re flexible in going to7, 10, or 14 days. We’d like to book a balcony room probably the Verandaseries.

Forgive me if some of these questions have been answeredcountless times, but the forum has so much information that it’s just a bitoverwhelming.

Onto the questions.

•  
  • At Half Moon Cay – I understand you have totender from the ship to the beach. Is the tendering fee included in the cruisepackage? Also do the tender boats have schedules that they run back & forthbetween the shore and the ship so that we could go back to the ship for lunchor dinner?

• At Half Moon Cay – Is the beach access hereincluded in the cruise package price?

• At Grand Turk – Is the beach access hereincluded in the cruise package price?

• At Grand Turk – Can you come & go as youplease from the beach to the ship and so forth since the ship is docked?

• Does either Half Moon Cay or Grand Turk have aport terminal like Costa Maya and do you have to pay extra to use thefacilities at the Port Terminal?

• I understand that the Costa Maya cruise terminalis one stop that some of the Holland America ships make. Are thefacilities/beach at Costa Maya (other than the restaurants) included in thecruise package price?

• Regarding the dress code – What is the excepteddress code for the main dining room. My husband is Mr. Casual. The only time heever wears a suit is for weddings, funerals & business when required. He’shoping he can wear dockers & a collared polo shirt to the main dining roommeals. With that in mind what is the accepted dress code for women.

• We appear to have the options of the ms Eurodam,ms Veendam, ms Nieuw Statendam for the dates & locations we’d considering.Does anyone have any preferences regarding these three ships? We wereoriginally looking at the ms Koningsdam but the dates don’t line up for us.

We are 3 star mariners. My husband hates suits and dress pants. We enjoy going to the main dining room and he wears nice pants, not jeans. I usually wear a casual dress or skirt. Have seen women in jeans, capris, and shorts. It seems the only real regulation is no jeans on formal night. He has worn jeans to the specialty dining called Pinnacle Grill. The buffet has little dress code..have seen people there in their robe from the room. We don’t even pack a tie and jacket anymore.

Half Moon Cay is free...free tender, free food on the island. You pay for any covered chairs or activities, like snorkeling. The tenders run all day long. Last time we paid for a small cabana on the beach, $20, I think. It was cold and rainy and we didn’t go in, so we lost the $20. Next time we will just tender in, walk the beach, maybe swim, eat and come back on board.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I’ve wanted togo on a cruise for quite awhile now but my husband has always been leery because a big part of a holiday for him is lying around at the pool &beach. Then I had some health issues (breast cancer) and that put everything onhold.

Hopefully you are clear of that concern! High five to you for moving forward!

I’m back up and at it now and hoping to make up for lost time and my husband is eager to see us go on our first cruise.

My husband & I are in our early 50’s and from the reviews we seem to prefer the more peaceful cruise ships like the Holland America & Princess Cruise Lines. With this being our first cruise, we’re looking at the ship as being the destination and not hugely interested in trekking far from the ship on excursions. My husband loves the idea of the ports in Half Moon Cay and Grand Turk as we can just hop off the ship right to a beach next to the ship. He’ll be able to satisfy his beach fix easily.

I’m going to post these same questions in the Princess forum section because we’re still humming & hawing over which one to try first.

We live in Ontario Canada and will be booking our cruise for early April to one of thevarious Caribbean options. We’re flexible in going to 7, 10, or 14 days. We’d like to book a balcony room probably the Veranda series.

Forgive me if some of these questions have been answered countless times, but the forum has so much information that it’s just a bit overwhelming.

Onto thequestions.

• At Half Moon Cay – I understand you have to tender from the ship to the beach. Is the tendering fee included in the cruise package? Also do the tender boats have schedules that they run back & forth between the shore and the ship so that we could go back to the ship for lunch or dinner? Tenders will operate continuously back and forth all day, no "posted schedule". The 1st tenders will take provisions and crew ashore followed by any who have a paid "excursion" with an early start. They staff will be handing out Tender Tickets early that morning and you will be provided directions as to when and where to pick them up. In the beginning they will call ticket numbers in order for tendering.
  • At Half Moon Cay – Is the beach access here included in the cruise package price? Yes and the chairs and umbrellas are free. Unless you want alcohol or soda you can spend the day at the beach and enjoy lunch without paying extra.
  • At Grand Turk – Is the beach access here included in the cruise package price? Yes
  • At Grand Turk – Can you come & go as you please from the beach to the ship and so forth since the ship is docked? Yes
  • Does either Half Moon Cay or Grand Turk have a port terminal like Costa Maya and do you have to pay extra to use the facilities at the Port Terminal? No. HMC has public bathrooms and also some gift shops.
  • I understand that the Costa Maya cruise terminal is one stop that some of the Holland America ships make. Are the facilities/beach at Costa Maya (other than the restaurants) included in the cruise package price?
  • Regarding the dress code – What is the excepted dress code for the main dining room. My husband is Mr. Casual. The only time he ever wears a suit is for weddings,funerals & business when required. He’s hoping he can wear dockers & acollared polo shirt to the main dining room meals. With that in mind what isthe accepted dress code for women. Although some might find it necessary to "dress up" it is not required. If you choose to eat in the MDR on Formal Night (Elegant Night) your husband can simply put on a tie and will be fine. You can wear pants, capris, skirts, dresses in the MDR and add shorts if you use the Lido. If you really want to stay casual the Lido is available and they normally have most of the same food choices as the MDR. Presentation is different but the food is just as good.
  • What is the accepted dress code for the buffets? Pretty much goes except please use a cover up with bathing suits and no bare feet.
  • We appear to have the options of the ms Eurodam, ms Veendam, ms Nieuw Statendamfor the dates & locations we’d considering. Does anyone have any preferences regarding these three ships? We were originally looking at the ms Koningsdam but the dates don’t line up for us. I'd vote for either the Eurodam or the Nieuw Statendam as the Veendam is a bit smaller and older.

Nothing will reward you for your brave fight with BC better than a cruise. Please enjoy!!

We live in Ontario Canada and will be booking our cruise for early April to one of the various Caribbean options. We’re flexible in going to 7, 10, or 14 days. We’d like to book a balcony room probably the Veranda series.

• Regarding the dress code – What is the excepted dress code for the main dining room. My husband is Mr. Casual. The only time he ever wears a suit is for weddings,funerals & business when required. He’s hoping he can wear dockers & acollared polo shirt to the main dining room meals. With that in mind what isthe accepted dress code for women.
  • We appear to have the options of the ms Eurodam, ms Veendam, ms Nieuw Statendam for the dates & locations we’d considering. Does anyone have any preferences regarding these three ships? We were originally looking at the ms Koningsdam but the dates don’t line up for us.

I think you'll find Princess and Holland to be quite similar although Holland tends to have smaller ships which many find attractive. Princess may have more on board activities.

Eurodam and Nieuw Statendam have more specialty dining options than Veendam. Particularly, the Tamarind which many like. I would also suggest at least walking through the Lido at night. Some find the buffet more than adequate while others prefer the MDR. You might want to try it once.

The dress code:

Princess Cruises

The Code: Princess has formal and smart casual nights. Formal attire is tuxedos, dinner jackets or dark suits for men and evening gowns, cocktail dresses or elegant pantsuits for women. Smart casual attire includes pants and open-neck shirts for men and skirts or dresses, slacks and sweaters for women.

Holland America Line

The Code: Holland America has formal optional and smart casual evenings. The line calls its formal nights "Gala Nights" and its formal dress "Gala Attire." This attire includes collared shirts and slacks for men in all fine dining restaurants, and dresses, skirts or slacks for women. Smart casual is a slightly more laid-back version of the same dress code and applies throughout the ship in the evening.

A bit of warning: dress code threads can become contentious since many have strong feelings about fashion. Don't take it personal.

One thing to consider -- the Veendam is small ship and has only 1 pool -- Lido -- where the children can also use.

The other ships have 2 pools -- aft pool is for adults only.

Your husband will be fine wearing slacks and a collared shirt every night on HAL -- no matter whether you eat in the dining room or a specialty restaurant. The major of the people dress the same for Gala nights as for smart casual nights.

We have sailed quite a few times on the Nieuw Amsterdam -- love her. You may want to try the Tamarind restaurant -- Pan Asian food -- really good. We also love the Pinnacle Grill.

I want to thank everyone for those great responses. I really appreciate the assistance.

One other question that my husband asked after I posted this.....

Are there any other ports like Grand Turk where the ships actually docks and there is a nice beach close at hand?

Thank you so much.

I am a survivor too, and my husband definitely humored me with our first cruise, a Carribean five-day. All of his friends were taking bets that he would hate it. Well that was 6 cruises ago! He loves it - the food and the beaches and even the quiet days on the ship when everyone else leaves to do their excursions, and we have the pool (and the pool waiters) all to ourselves. Do not worry too much about dress code. We bring 3 pairs of dockers and shirts for him, and send them out to the laundry mid-week. Beats the overpacking situation, and he is ready to dine anywhere, with the addition of a sport coat for Gala nights.

Congrats on your recovery, I know what it took for you to do that. Treat yourself to a date in the specialty dining...you will never regret it!

Hi Everyone,

My husband & I are booked for the 14 day Tropical Eastern Caribbean Cruise on 24th March 2018 out of Fort Lauderdale on the Nieu Amsterdam.

I'm scouring this forum, HAL Facts forum & some member's site getting myself as well versed as I can so we can take full advantage of what the Nieuw Amsterdam and HAL can offer.

Right off the bat I've got another question and will probably have many more. I'm so glad you guys are here as a resource for the newbs.

Our TA booked up with the "Open Dining Time" without asking us about it. I'd really prefer the late "Main" fixed dining time as we want to make the most of the daylight hours. If we're peckish before our dinner seating we'll grab something from any of the available food options to keep the wolf from the door.

We'd also like dinner seating for two so we can make the most of our belated 25th Anniversary together.

In order to switch to late "Main" fixed dining time do I have to call my TA or can I switch it directly with HAL. I can't find on their website anywhere where I can do this automatically.

Also is it possible to arrange for dining for two in the main dining room.

Hi Everyone,

My husband & I are booked for the 14 day Tropical Eastern Caribbean Cruise on 24th March 2018 out of Fort Lauderdale on the Nieu Amsterdam.

I'm scouring this forum, HAL Facts forum & some member's site getting myself as well versed as I can so we can take full advantage of what the Nieuw Amsterdam and HAL can offer.

Right off the bat I've got another question and will probably have many more. I'm so glad you guys are here as a resource for the newbs.

Our TA booked up with the "Open Dining Time" without asking us about it. I'd really prefer the late "Main" fixed dining time as we want to make the most of the daylight hours. If we're peckish before our dinner seating we'll grab something from any of the available food options to keep the wolf from the door.

We'd also like dinner seating for two so we can make the most of our belated 25th Anniversary together.

In order to switch to late "Main" fixed dining time do I have to call my TA or can I switch it directly with HAL. I can't find on their website anywhere where I can do this automatically.

Also is it possible to arrange for dining for two in the main dining room.

Call your TA and ask them to change your reservation to "Late Fixed Dining" and also ask them for a table for 2.

You can also seek out the station near the main dining room on embarkation day and change your assignment. (Explorers lounge). Also know that you can dine late with the open dining package. Try it and ask for a table for two on first night, then ask at the door for the same table and time for future nights. May have to do this every couple of days. Failing that you can make daily reservations by phone. Major advantage of MDR is having the same wait staff every night, but you can finesse this in open dining as described above.

Call your TA and ask them to change your reservation to "Late Fixed Dining" and also ask them for a table for 2.

Or as an alternative, after your TA changes your dining arrangement to late fixed, you can contact HAL Ship Services directly yourself to request a table for two (1-800-541-1576 / hal_ship_services@hollandamerica.com).

Going a step further, we also like to select specific tables that we prefer from the MDR drawings and provide 3 or 4 table numbers to Ship Services as a request. Table size and table numbers of course cannot be guaranteed, but HAL does a pretty good job of accomodating these types of requests.

NA's MDR layout: http://halfacts.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/NADM.pdf

Fixed dining is typically the upper deck of the dining room, while open seating is on the main deck of the dining room.

We're sailing Eurodam (NA's sister ship) later this year, and have fixed late dining confirmed. We'll be contacting Ship's Services soon to request our table size and specific table numbers.

Enjoy!

My advice based upon your statement that the ship is the destination, would be to go for the newest ship for your first cruise.

I did that with the Noordam when she was new. We were the 4th sailing.

I've done the Veendam twice to Bermuda and enjoyed it both times, but on those trips, Bermuda was the destination more so than the ship.

With the newest ship you're less likely to have A/C or plumbing problems. I say go with Newer, Bigger, Better. Of course, that's just my opinion. I'm sure others will see it differently.

I say go with Newer, Bigger, Better. Of course, that's just my opinion. I'm sure others will see it differently.

Yep, we certainly see it different. One of the main reasons we continue to sail HAL is because they still have the smaller more intimate ships, which we prefer.

Their signature class ships (NA / Eurodam) are the best of both worlds; not too big, and not too small in our opinion.

Thank you everyone for all the help.

Please stop back and let us know if/when your TA is successful at changing you to late (HAL calls this seating 'Main') fixed dining.

In looking at NA's MDR layout, there are several 2-tops in various locations on the upper level, so you have plenty of options to choose from. Tables 57, 68, 70, 73, 82, 84, 88, 90 and 302 to name just a few. :)

Please stop back and let us know if/when your TA is successful at changing you to late (HAL calls this seating 'Main') fixed dining.

In looking at NA's MDR layout, there are several 2-tops in various locations on the upper level, so you have plenty of options to choose from. Tables 57, 68, 70, 73, 82, 84, 88, 90 and 302 to name just a few. :)

Thank you I will. Our TA was away for the weekend so hoping to hear from them soon.

I asked the TA to mention we were looking for a table for two; the more intimate the better.

Question on the Clamshell rentals at Half Moon Cay. The rental rate shows $39.95 but the duration shows 0.5 hours. That's confusing since it shows it's a full day rental.

So for clarification, it's $39.95 for the day correct?

Also, I understand that we'll need our travel docs/passport etc when we're in ports. What does everyone do to protect your documents when you're on an excursion (ie the jet ski tour at Half Moon Cay). Is there somewhere you can lock everything up while in port or do I need to buy a waterproof container of some kind?

Edited by nielgirl

There are waterproof pouches you can buy for cheap. We take only copies of passports and drivers license on shore. The last time we rented a clam shell it was$19.99. Weather was bad, so we never got off the ship and ate the charge

There are waterproof pouches you can buy for cheap. We take only copies of passports and drivers license on shore. The last time we rented a clam shell it was$19.99. Weather was bad, so we never got off the ship and ate the charge

Oh so photocopies of your docs are acceptable while off the ship?

Ya the price of the clamshells has obviously gone up but I can't see it being $39.95 per half hour.

Oh so photocopies of your docs are acceptable while off the ship?

Ya the price of the clamshells has obviously gone up but I can't see it being $39.95 per half hour.

We have friends that went ashore to the Key and there were tons of clamshells unoccupied. They had people inviting them to share theirs. We will be going there next January and plan on just walking the beach, eating at the island buffet and going back on board. Yes, in a pinch, the photo copied documents are sufficient. I would ever carry the real thing off the ship

Take a photocopy of your passport and drivers licence on the same piece of paper, and put it along with your money and room key card in a waterproof container and take that with you. We only take that ashore and snorkelling. It's all we have ever done in over 30 years of cruising and snorkelling. Never had a problem and only once had to show the paperwork. Oh, we also put our insurance card in it. Don't forget that!