GETAWAY switches to Western itinerary starting April 15

I am booked to go on the NCL Getaway in June and just received word from my group organizer that, due to continuing issues with tour cancellations at Eastern Caribbean ports, the Getaway will switch to a Western itinerary starting April 15 and going through September 30.

New itinerary is:

Monday -- at sea

Tuesday -- Costa Maya

Wed -- Harvest Caye

Thursday -- Roatan

Friday -- Cozumel

Sat -- at sea

yes, we were disappointed too...but probably going to stick with sailing date b/c of air already booked and so on..would be a hassle and expense to change that all around! :( Also, really want to sail on the Getaway so will make the best of it!

IMO this is a better itinerary than the Eastern one, unless you wanted to go shopping in St. Thomas. Better beaches, and frankly more cultural things to do. If you haven't been on the western routes give it a try. I think you will enjoy it.

BTW reports are that St. Marteen and Tortola are not close to being ready to handle guests.

the ncl site shows the change from our eastern itinerary to western, but we never heard from NCL or our TA...disappointing

NCL switched the Chile Embarkation/Disembarkation port this season from Valparaiso to San Antonio.

We were on the Sun sailing, disembarking Dec 8.

Roughly half of CCers were never notified by NCL nor by their TA.

Everyone in the Roll Call knew of course...but hundreds of people only found out once they wre aboard the ship headed for Chile.

yes, we were disappointed too...but probably going to stick with sailing date b/c of air already booked and so on..would be a hassle and expense to change that all around! :( Also, really want to sail on the Getaway so will make the best of it!

We are in the same boat, so to speak, airfare and hotel already booked so we have decided to give it a shot. Certainly not a itinerary I ever would have picked as we have no desire for these ports but am going to make the best of it. I booked Maya Chan for Costa Maya yesterday and now will look into Roatan and Cozumel, although might just stay in port area at Roatan. I consider Cozumel in the same category as Nassau so no loss there. We might try a food tour in Cozumel just like what we were going to do in Nassau. Good luck with what you decide.

IMO this is a better itinerary...Better beaches...

Can you recommend some? We are on the April 15th cruise and frankly we are not happy about the change, mainly because we had been told St. John's beach was incredible, private, pristine, and beautiful. I can't really cancel or change because the timing is perfect for us but I'd like to make the best of a bunch of ports I know nothing about. Any info you can share would be appreciated.

DM

We are in the same boat, so to speak, airfare and hotel already booked so we have decided to give it a shot. Certainly not a itinerary I ever would have picked as we have no desire for these ports but am going to make the best of it. I booked Maya Chan for Costa Maya yesterday and now will look into Roatan and Cozumel, although might just stay in port area at Roatan. I consider Cozumel in the same category as Nassau so no loss there. We might try a food tour in Cozumel just like what we were going to do in Nassau. Good luck with what you decide.

In Roatan don't stay in the port area there is nothing there. Go to the west end and enjoy the beaches.

Can you recommend some? We are on the April 15th cruise and frankly we are not happy about the change, mainly because we had been told St. John's beach was incredible, private, pristine, and beautiful. I can't really cancel or change because the timing is perfect for us but I'd like to make the best of a bunch of ports I know nothing about. Any info you can share would be appreciated.

DM

Roatan - Anything on the west end. The best snorkeling in the Caribbean

Cozumel. Usually you should get a pass to a resort. We usually go to Secrets. It is AI and adults only.

Costa May, if you don't want crowds go to Alampa, if you don't mind crowds and want good value go to anyplace in town. I like Tropicante but others also have their favorites.

The beaches at St. Johns used to be as you described but they are all pretty busy anymore so yoou really aren't missing much. Roatan compares favorably IMO.

We just did this itinerary over Thanksgiving. I’m not thrilled with the switch, especially this close together, but the ports themselves were wonderful.

Definitely don’t stay at the port in Roatan!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

DM

These photos were taken at Tabyana Beach in Roatan. (With an iPhone, sorry about the quality)

c7664c59ff9eb90b556d40f0eb8004cd.jpg3d35a1eb1c57166e22b7b0c100169a8a.jpg5e5a95650d7d7a1729d9ecbd492aebd5.jpg

20b9ccddb4d9334f993480d962c8939d.jpg

In Belize, don’t spend the whole day in Harvest Caye. The water and beach was much prettier in Placencia. We will be doing a land only vacation there next year...absolutely fell in love.

b73e4b611482b21b42447d431a8ca33b.jpgd9a6821d336b18edeb946d135c6383cf.jpg

Edited by disneygirl10

Can also just cancel the NCL cruise and book on another line leaving on the same date, same port so the rest of your travel plans stay in place.

We got this information from our TA today also. We are so disappointed. What have others decided to do about this....change itineraries or continue with this sailing?

We cancelled our Getaway cruise in June and booked an 8 night Southern on Carnival Sunshine.