Booking a single person in a cabin - high price question?!

aimcat

My husband and myself along with our friend are going to most likely do a cruise on the carnival sensation in late Feb, when I go to book rooms I have our friend in a room alone, and it is charging a lot more than if it were just 2 people, even just in a basic interior room? Am I doing something wrong when booking to be getting such a huge price for a single person in a room?

You are not doing anything wrong. Carnival charges double for a single person in a room that would normally hold at least two people and there are no Carnival single person rooms. It is commonly called the Single Supplement. It costs just as much for me to cruise alone as me and my wife together.

Try checking out cruises on the newer NCL ships. They have solo cabins that are not as costly as a single person in a regular cabin. If your dead set on this Carnival Cruise, your friend will need to pay “Single Supplement” which is double the usual rate.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

It should actually be a bit less because you do not have port fees or taxes for a second person. BUT it will be very close in cost to that 2 passenger cabin total cost. 'This is a link for a CC article about Solo cabins, costs , lots of details. Hope it helps

https://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=1989

Unfortunately this is the only cruise that fits our time range.

And the price you are seeing should not be more than double the fare plus port taxes for a solo. Let's say a solo inside goes for $450, taxes and port charges are $100, and gratuities are $100, it should be $1100 for a solo.

At the same cabin rate for two person occupancy, the fare should be $1300. In no instance should the solo fare be higher than a 2 person occupancy. Perhaps the cabins compared are different? There are several categories of inside cabins as well as different types of fares such as early saver, past guest, etc. Have to make sure the cabin and fare categories absolutely agree.

If the OP cannot get a suitable solo fare on line, I suggest calling Carnival or using a travel agent to get the proper fare. Good luck and enjoy your cruise!

Try checking out cruises on the newer NCL ships. They have solo cabins that are not as costly as a single person in a regular cabin. If your dead set on this Carnival Cruise, your friend will need to pay “Single Supplement” which is double the usual rate.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

In my research booking a studio on breakaway and getaway is about the same price as a lido interior for 1 person on Breeze and Dream.

I have run into this problem several times when a relative or a friend says they want to go on the cruise with us, but are single cruisers. My mother has had a hard time finding anyone her age who wants to and can cruise. I have suggested Facebook groups, but she is from a non technology age and is not comfortable with the idea of spending a week with someone she does not really know outside of online communication. Being a complete cruise fanatic, I am amazed when speaking to her friends and I get a chorus of, I do not really care for cruising.

In my research booking a studio on breakaway and getaway is about the same price as a lido interior for 1 person on Breeze and Dream.

Hi

The NCL studio are more expensive, but very often NCL (as well as other cruise lines) have cabins available with no, or low single supplement. In those situations, regular cabins are a good deal.

My husband and myself along with our friend are going to most likely do a cruise on the carnival sensation in late Feb, when I go to book rooms I have our friend in a room alone, and it is charging a lot more than if it were just 2 people, even just in a basic interior room? Am I doing something wrong when booking to be getting such a huge price for a single person in a room?

They charge double for a single person.

First, you're probably running into higher prices due to the lateness of the booking - the Sensation tends to get full up long before most sailings this time of year. Second, as others have pointed out, you do have to pay double the room rate (plus only one set of taxes and fees) for a single in a cabin. If you book *both* cabins at the same time in the same class/section of ship, then the price for the single person's cabin should be the same as the double minus one set of port fees. If your single person cabin is being booked much later than your original booking, then all bets are off.

The Fantasy class ships (including the Sensation) have a whole bunch of upper/lower bunk rooms that Carnival used to reliably price at only 150% of the main rate for singles, but nowadays it seems you only get about a $10 discount for booking one of those over a typical interior, so I don't think they're worth it anymore. I used to like them in particular - even though they're slightly smaller than a normal cabin, they feel larger because of less floor space taken up by the beds.