Rhine water levels 2018 and similar topics

notamermaid

2 hours ago, notamermaid said:

Where's Waldo and newgolfr,

Thank you for your reports. As you both mention your coach travels it is apparent that, as I have tried to point up in my post above, the ship swap is not an easy business right now. Vessels do not manage to stick to their itinerary times, i.e. cannot even get to the closest ports to make a ship swap just covering the Rhine gorge. This applies to the Amsterdam - Basel vice versa itineraries.

Others, like austinetc, find themselves in unusual ports like Wiesbaden-Biebrich.

I am sorry to say that the Leonora I was tracking made it as far as Boppard in the Rhine gorge yesterday. After an afternoon stop (excursion?) she returned to Koblenz and is now sailing the Moselle. So she did not sail upstream through the gorge. Next one to watch is the Excellence Pearl, signal lost near Rüdesheim. She should reappear in Koblenz after her transit as she is a short Dutch ship. The Monarch Queen (ex-Amadagio) is 110m long, currently docked in Koblenz and marked as being on her way to Basel. Let's see what will happen with her, too.

Rain is sweeping (a drizzle mostly) over the Southwest of Germany today with Tuesday bringing more rain from the West. Wednesday will be a relatively dry day.

The river levels this morning: Maxau peaked earlier and is now down to 335cm, Kaub is at 31cm, Koblenz is at 24cm. As it has hardly rained further North and the wave from the South has not reached Koblenz yet, levels on the lower Rhine are still terribly low in figures. Emmerich at the Dutch border got it self a new low water level record this morning of 7cm. For Emmerich this means the navigation channel depth there is 199cm. Not reassuring if the draft of your ship is 160cm or more.

Need that rain sweeping over the whole West of the country, Luxembourg and France on Tuesday desperately.

notamermaid

Thanks for all the great reporting - is the Rhine Gorge / Koblenz the area most significantly impacted? I've read reports that some are being bussed out of Amsterdam to Cologne as well. We're on a cruise from Amsterdam to Basel next month and just curious about the water levels further north. Thanks.

1 minute ago, Echo9er said:

Thanks for all the great reporting - is the Rhine Gorge / Koblenz the area most significantly impacted? I've read reports that some are being bussed out of Amsterdam to Cologne as well. We're on a cruise from Amsterdam to Basel next month and just curious about the water levels further north. Thanks.

Welcome to cruisecritic. Happy to help. Yes, the Rhine gorge is the worst as the navigation channel is the shallowest. In this year's extreme drought the whole river where there are no locks is affected, so many ships struggle to keep on schedule hence the fact that coaches are used to get to Cologne from Amsterdam. The navigation channel North of Koblenz is normally deep enough but the levels this autumn are not normal. Careful sailing and heavy traffic on the river are slowing things down North of Cologne. How many ships are now struggling to get upstream from Cologne I cannot say. All in all the river is pretty void of large river cruise ships in transit...

notamermaid

• Like 1

gadugger,

With around 19 days to go before your cruise AmaWaterways cannot provide you with details yet. But, of course, they could tell you what the experience has been for the past few weeks. A "water experience" is anything between an uninterrupted cruise to you sailing a four hour round trip on an excursion boat in the Rhine gorge (as an example). There is a possibility that their 135m ships will sail from - my guess - around 3 November all the way along the route but the chances at the moment are slim. Further into the future than 6 November no one will attempt a prediction from looking into the murky waters or the crystal ball... the wise men and women in Koblenz (the big boss water authorities) use their computers to calculate but build in a huge margin for erring on either side of the graph for the river level.

notamermaid

5 hours ago, notamermaid said:

Next one to watch is the Excellence Pearl, signal lost near Rüdesheim. She should reappear in Koblenz after her transit as she is a short Dutch ship.

The Excellence Pearl has been through the Rhine gorge and is on her way to Cologne. To be fair, she is only 82m long giving her a great advantage over the 135m ships.

notamermaid

• Like 2

3 hours ago, notamermaid said:

Welcome to cruisecritic. Happy to help. Yes, the Rhine gorge is the worst as the navigation channel is the shallowest. In this year's extreme drought the whole river where there are no locks is affected, so many ships struggle to keep on schedule hence the fact that coaches are used to get to Cologne from Amsterdam. The navigation channel North of Koblenz is normally deep enough but the levels this autumn are not normal. Careful sailing and heavy traffic on the river are slowing things down North of Cologne. How many ships are now struggling to get upstream from Cologne I cannot say. All in all the river is pretty void of large river cruise ships in transit...

notamermaid

Thanks very much. Avalon confirmed to me this morning that at the present time their vessels are not moving between Amsterdam and Cologne. As it appears they are also not moving between Cologne and Strasbourg I anticipate there will be some significant itinerary shuffling if there is no persistent rain in the next couple of weeks. Fortunately I have not been made aware of any shortages of beer or schnitzels in Germany so we'll just have to take it as it comes! E9.

• Like 1

On 10/24/2018 at 3:04 PM, beckmars said:

Thank you to all who are posting information here.  I am booked on Uniworld's River Queen AMS-BSL, departing AMS November 2nd.  

If anyone has any information on that particular cruise, I would love to hear it. (I have been getting a bit of information on MarineTraffic.com, but am still trying to figure out how to navigate the site.)

To my fellow cruiser “beckmars” on the Nov. 2 Uniworld River Queen Cruise, AMS-BSL:

Because I had not rec’d a response from my email I sent to Uniworld last week, I called them today to see if they would provide any updates.  As expected, they said the current itinerary remains as is and they do not expect any changes as a large amount of rain is expected this week.  After I chuckled a moment and told them the current Kaub & Koblenz River levels as of this AM (thank you “notamermaid” for this updated info), Uniworld responded, “I told you there is no change to the itinerary and it is going to rain and raise the river levels”!  Instead of arguing any further, I asked them it there was a Uniworld boat available south of the Rhine Gorge where we could bus for a swap.  He said yes there is.  I did see the S.S. Antoinette stopped south of Strasbourg which started in Basel for an 8 day cruise (BSL-AMS).  I am hoping that is a possible swap option for us but not sure how those passengers on the Antoinette will get to AMS by next Sunday if the swap to the River Queen!  I am glad I am not on that logistical team!

i wanted to keep you posted on what I have heard so far which is not much at all!  At least the drinks are included with this cruise and hopefully we can join up on the River Queen and have a drink together!

25 minutes ago, millebe said:

To my fellow cruiser “beckmars” on the Nov. 2 Uniworld River Queen Cruise, AMS-BSL:

Because I had not rec’d a response from my email I sent to Uniworld last week, I called them today to see if they would provide any updates.  As expected, they said the current itinerary remains as is and they do not expect any changes as a large amount of rain is expected this week.  After I chuckled a moment and told them the current Kaub & Koblenz River levels as of this AM (thank you “notamermaid” for this updated info), Uniworld responded, “I told you there is no change to the itinerary and it is going to rain and raise the river levels”!  Instead of arguing any further, I asked them it there was a Uniworld boat available south of the Rhine Gorge where we could bus for a swap.  He said yes there is.  I did see the S.S. Antoinette stopped south of Strasbourg which started in Basel for an 8 day cruise (BSL-AMS).  I am hoping that is a possible swap option for us but not sure how those passengers on the Antoinette will get to AMS by next Sunday if the swap to the River Queen!  I am glad I am not on that logistical team!

i wanted to keep you posted on what I have heard so far which is not much at all!  At least the drinks are included with this cruise and hopefully we can join up on the River Queen and have a drink together!

Hi, Looks like the River Queen made it from Dusseldorf to AMS.  It is only 110 meters long, so one of the smaller ones.  This seems to be a good thing :)  I am flying out of Seattle tomorrow.  I evidently cannot message folks through Cruise Critic  - Do you have Facebook?

On 10/25/2018 at 3:51 PM, Begete said:

lol.   We are in Coupeville but have many friends in Clinton. Can you private message someone here on cruise critic?

Hi, I tried messaging you through here, and I am unable to.  If anyone knows how to send a PM to another member, do tell :)

16 minutes ago, beckmars said:

Hi, I tried messaging you through here, and I am unable to.  If anyone knows how to send a PM to another member, do tell :)

You can't. The function has not (and probably won't be) enabled.

49 minutes ago, beckmars said:

Hi, Looks like the River Queen made it from Dusseldorf to AMS.  It is only 110 meters long, so one of the smaller ones.  This seems to be a good thing 🙂 I am flying out of Seattle tomorrow.  I evidently cannot message folks through Cruise Critic  - Do you have Facebook?

Yes, I am on Facebook but we will be flying out of Florida on Thursday so will not have internet access.  We are John & Betsy so look for us on the River Queen!  Have a safe trip!

26 minutes ago, millebe said:

Yes, I am on Facebook but we will be flying out of Florida on Thursday so will not have internet access.  We are John & Betsy so look for us on the River Queen!  Have a safe trip!

Will do - My name is Rebecca.  See you soon!

7 minutes ago, notamermaid said:

millebe and beckmars,

It is good to read that Uniworld is so confident. Sounds like the River Queen is ready to take you along the river smoothly.

Have a great time.

notamermaid

It will be fun, no matter where it goes :)

3 hours ago, beckmars said:

Hi, Looks like the River Queen made it from Dusseldorf to AMS.  It is only 110 meters long, so one of the smaller ones.  This seems to be a good thing 🙂 I am flying out of Seattle tomorrow.  I evidently cannot message folks through Cruise Critic  - Do you have Facebook?

4 hours ago, millebe said:

3 hours ago, millebe said:

Hello all from an Aussie.

THought I should come in here and check on some cruise information as I was told that the Rhine River may not be totally navigable.

Will be on the Uniworld Cruise as well from November 2. Looking forward to it, if not a bit wary now.

Regardless, looking forward to meeting new people on this cruise.

49 minutes ago, MitchellD said:

Hello all from an Aussie.

THought I should come in here and check on some cruise information as I was told that the Rhine River may not be totally navigable.

Will be on the Uniworld Cruise as well from November 2. Looking forward to it, if not a bit wary now.

Regardless, looking forward to meeting new people on this cruise.

I will try to find you with your accent :)  

APT just posted this update:

Last updated: 30th October 2018

The weather patterns in central Europe have been extremely warm and dry this year. This has led to a drought situation with low water levels in different parts of the Danube and Rhine River.  
While areas of the route between Amsterdam and Budapest were too shallow to cruise, changing water levels allow us to operate amended itineraries for our November cruises. 
All guests have been contacted and advised of these changes.  

I guess I'll find out exactly what that means tomorrow morning, since my update will be in the hands of my TA until then...

3 minutes ago, Mark_T said:

The weather patterns in central Europe have been extremely warm and dry this year. This has led to a drought situation with low water levels in different parts of the Danube and Rhine River.  
While areas of the route between Amsterdam and Budapest were too shallow to cruise, changing water levels allow us to operate amended itineraries for our November cruises. 

I guess I'll find out exactly what that means tomorrow morning, since my update will be in the hands of my TA until then...

I do have to wonder if I will get somehting from my TA, hope I do.

This is my first trip overseas, I don't want to get too screwed over.

1 minute ago, Mark_T said:

We got an update yesterday with 3 options - stick with cruise but a likely revised itinerary that they weren’t sure of and could include coaches:hotels in worst case scenario, refund, or rebook on a cruise next year.

I appreciate the honesty of the options. Sadly we’ve cancelled as we wanted the cruise to be what we booked initially which seems unlikely at this point and we have a small window to book other things. 

I hope you you all have lovely cruises though and that it works out with river levels! I certainly know where to come now for info on future cruises.

12 minutes ago, Rosenz said:

We got an update yesterday with 3 options - stick with cruise but a likely revised itinerary that they weren’t sure of and could include coaches:hotels in worst case scenario, refund, or rebook on a cruise next year.

I appreciate the honesty of the options. Sadly we’ve cancelled as we wanted the cruise to be what we booked initially which seems unlikely at this point and we have a small window to book other things.

Sorry to hear that, but I can certainly understand your decision.

Hope you find something fun to do instead.

• Like 1

other

I hope you you all have lovely cruises though and that it works out with river levels! I certainly know where to come now for info on future cruises.

Be thankful you were given the option of cancelling with a refund from your cruise company.  If we had been given that option on Uniworld, we would have surely cancelled.  Getting insurance did not help as there is that little clause in the cruise contract that says “the cruise line reserves the right to modify the itinerary due to weather conditions, etc., etc.” which prevented use from cancelling with a refund.

1 minute ago, millebe said:

Be thankful you were given the option of cancelling with a refund from your cruise company.  If we had been given that option on Uniworld, we would have surely cancelled.  Getting insurance did not help as there is that little clause in the cruise contract that says “the cruise line reserves the right to modify the itinerary due to weather conditions, etc., etc.” which prevented use from cancelling with a refund.

Very true - while really disappointed with the outcome I’m still impressed with APT’s handling of unfortunate circumstances.

All the best to all of you who are about to sail  will keep fingers crossed that you will be able to remain 9n the water as much as pissible and that itinerary changes will be minimal. I was on the Viking Lofn early Sept and even then threats of ship swaps etc were ever present  but we made it   I have been following this thread since then everyday   and though i am not contemplating a river cruise again because of all these stress with water levels  i would certainly consider going with Viking or AMA waterways IF  ever again.  Just an aside to take our minds off water levels  - for those of you going to Cologne dont miss the visit to the Lindt chocolate factory and shop  which is amazing. Buy all your chocolates and candy there rather than in Switzerland as it is cheaper and the variety is much better   The cost of evrything in Switzerland is very high  If any of you are stopping over there  it is breathtakingly beautiful esp with the fine weather which has been  fir all of Autumn   .

We stayed in Lucerne for 10 days and booked a selfcontained studio apartment at comparatively reasonable rates  right in the middle of the city 10 minutes away from the central train station. It us called HitRental if anyone is intetested. So glad we could cook thete as it is gery expensivevto eat out ( we are Aussie and everything was twice the price). There is a CoOp supermarket 5 minute walk away and also in thecteain station. We bought a 4 day rail pass to be used for the month rather than on consecutive days so that we had the flexibility to spread the 4 days over 10 days. The staff at the Swiss rsil office in the yrain station were most helpful and thete is an App you can download which gives you all the timetablesvto the various attractions like the Rigi  , Jungfraujoch, Lugarno  etc

and we planned our trips with ease  knowing where to change trainscetc    Going second class was v comfortable

Switzerland is definitely worth the visit esp if your river cruise ends in Basel  

We found our way from the ship to the tram which took us to the central train station in Basel then took the train to Lucerne    We are in our early 70s and we managed .

Safe and happy journey to all   

5 minutes ago, millebe said:

Wait, it does?

Damn, bit scummy on their part, to some degree.

Curious, I guess you have not recieved anything from Uniworld at all? or even though your TA?