Does the medical center not stock O- blood on board?

It's not a Level 1 Trauma Center, but it is essentially the same as a small community hospital.

Having worked in several “ small community hospitals” as well as US. Navy sick bays, I can say that no, it is not essentially like a small community hospital. It’s like a sick bay. Because it is a sick bay.

Below copied from another thread on this forum... essentially it's a 'life or death situation' type thing. No they typically do not 'stock' blood and yes they do ask for donors in real-time. They cannot test the blood (not being a lab) and hence rely on registered donors to come forward; for whom the risk of blood borne pathogens is low given previous screening. Basically don't expect/count on a blood transfusion in anything other than a major emergency i.e hypovolemia. Personally I'd take my chances with the helicopter transfer if it were anything less.

From that thread a statement from an RCCL case:

2.) "... Blood transfusion involves the process of transferring lifesaving blood or blood products intravenously into the body of a person in need due to loss of blood. Because of the very nature of blood, the many blood types, and strict storage and testing requirements, cruise ships are not capable of storing blood to support a transfusion program.

As a result, in the past when a patient needed blood, the best alternative was to risk an emergency basket-lift via helicopter (when and where available) and/or to divert the ship to the closest available port. Each of these options involves inherent delays in priority medical care when seconds count.

In 2010, RCL ships received the equipment, training and procedures necessary to conduct transfusions at sea. In the event a patient requires blood, registered blood donor guests onboard are requested to respond to the ship’s medical facility. The advantage of using guests who are registered blood donors is that they know their blood type, have been

regularly screened for blood-related diseases, are familiar with the system, and are accustomed to the process of giving blood. The medical team then commences a screening and monitoring process that leads to a transfusion at sea.

Since the start of this new program, patients have received the benefit of this new lifesaving program and returned home safely. In 2010 we provided transfusions to 11 patients, and in 2011, that number increased to 16 patients. “Being able to transfuse blood has really saved lives on board,” says Dr. Art Diskin, Global Chief Medical Officer for

RCL. “Even if we do eventually evacuate the patient by helicopter or boat, they are more likely to survive if we have started replacing their blood loss with whole blood."

from here: http://media.royalcaribbean.com/cont...hip-report.pdf

Edited by Notnewtoit

Having worked in several “ small community hospitals” as well as US. Navy sick bays, I can say that no, it is not essentially like a small community hospital. It’s like a sick bay. Because it is a sick bay.

I'd say it's more like a clinic, where they can treat minor problems like sprained ankles, ear aches... that type of thing, certainly not any type of hospital.

Are some bigger than others? I've seen one on Princess and one on Disney. I've never seen a military sick bay, but I can definitely agree that the ones I've saw just resemble a clinic or small medical office. FAR from a small community hospital.

Friendly local hospital blood banker here. Firstly blood banking is way more complicated than it looks.

I suspect some of the reason that they don’t carry O Neg on board is there really isn’t enough people donating for it to just sit around just incase they need it on a cruise ship. Our blood bank hasn’t been able to get any from our supplier unless we are transfusing it the same day since about christmas.

Secondly most blood today is separated into component-red blood cell, plasma and platelets. Plasma (which contains your clotting factors) and platlets are also very important to give to hemorrhaging patient. Platelets have an expiration date of five days from the time they are collected, so they really aren’t something that you could take with you on a cruise. Plasma products last the longest, most have about a year that they are good for frozen. Once you thaw them they have to be used within 4 hours to 5 days. Also plasma products are the opposite of red blood cell in that AB is the universal donor, and really only male donors are used as a source of plasma to reduce the risk of TRALI-which is a reaction to plasma products that can kill the recipient. So getting it is even harder than getting O neg red cells, it has been in transfusion only from our supplier for about a year.

Whole blood that you are collecting from your cruising donor and then turning around and transfusing right away has the benefit replacing your oxygen carrying capacity with Red blood cells of having all it’s clotting factors active and platelets. I haven’t heard an announcement on any of my cruises but I can guarentee that is why they are asking for a specific type of donor rather than just O neg because they are transfusing whole blood and you don’t want to give the plasma from O blood to any other type.