Seeking those with recent experience staying onshore during an overnight in port

Floppy McTurnriver

Hello,

I am booked this summer on a BI cruise with an overnight in Dublin. A full 37 hours in port. I am seriously entertaining the idea of driving to Ireland's scenic west coast and staying overnight so as to not having to double back each day. This cruise's overnight itinerary was one of the key decision factors in booking this particular sailing.

I am reaching out to those in the cruise critic community, in specific - those with actual recent experience on any Princess cruise in any overnight port.

Did you need to obtain permission even before the cruise started?, obtain permission on embarkation day at guest services?, or simply inform security when walking off the gangplank at the overnight port?

I'd appreciate and thank you in advance for sharing your experiences and any tips, advice you may have.

I am fully aware of the associated risks such an action would bring. eg) if the ship leaves dock before originally scheduled departure due to unforeseen circumstances.

I see no reason why you should need permission to be out of your cabin completely overnight. The only problem I foresee is that you will need to let the cabin steward know that you will not be sleeping in your cabin "tonight" and are going to be away awhile so he/she does not get alarmed and think anything bad might have happened to you. Probably need a passport to book in at the hotel, they might accept photo driving license or pay for room on arrival, hotels need ID, but Princess do not usually hold onto passports on BI cruises.

Ireland drive on the left and generally car hire is a stick shift unless you specifically ask for an automatic it will be RHD.

Regards John

Edited by john watson

We did an over night in Hong Kong and am extremely happy that we did. I did call Princess before the cruise just to be on the safe side. They said it would be no problem. Once on board we did let the passenger service people know that we would not be returning that night. There were really no problems.

The problem I can see on overnights is if an hotel requires a passport to check in and the ship is holding your passport.

I have a problem on our upcoming South America cruise. I want to get off the ship in Rio and rejoining the ship in Buenos Aires. (We would miss a couple of sea days and Montevideo where we have been before. In turn we pick up more time in Rio and Iguazu Falls). For that I will need passport. On the last South American cruise, the ship held all passports to the end of the cruise. I called Princess and asked if this was possible and the agent sad it was. But I don't know if she actually knew or was just guessing.

Edited by dfields1814
typo

Princess will require an approved "Deviation From Cruise Itinerary" form. Lots of countries have lots of odd custom and boarder rules, and this ensures Princess Cruise Line can allow you to disembark and then can legally allow you to re-embark after your overnight stay. Call the Princess 800 line...if allowed by local country law it will be approved.

I did this in South America last year. Tell the ships's customer service desk a day or two ahead that you will require your passport. Make sure they are prepared to give it back on the morning you disembark.

Edited by tcdcruiser

Princess will require an approved "Deviation From Cruise Itinerary" form. Lots of countries have lots of odd custom and boarder rules, and this ensures Princess Cruise Line can allow you to disembark and then can legally allow you to re-embark after your overnight stay. Call the Princess 800 line...if allowed by local country law it will be approved.

I did this in South America last year. Tell the ships's customer service desk a day or two ahead that you will require your passport. Make sure they are prepared to give it back on the morning you disembark.

This form is used when you leave the cruise early, not for this instance, driving license id is fine, and a credit card. Ireland is a pretty relaxed country

This form is used when you leave the cruise early, not for this instance, driving license id is fine, and a credit card. Ireland is a pretty relaxed country

Ireland may be relaxed but I would not chance being stuck there without a passport if for whatever reason the ship has to leave port early and leaves you stranded. She is not just getting off at the cruise port.

Ireland may be relaxed but I would not chance being stuck there without a passport if for whatever reason the ship has to leave port early and leaves you stranded. She is not just getting off at the cruise port.[/quote

You may want to take your passport but you dont need it,

thank you for bringing up this subject : I have been thinking about the same . My question is respect to a 2 day stop over in St. Petersburg. Does anyone have information on independent travel and staying off the ship . does the ship stay at the port with gangway down or does the ship leave and come back . we had a two day in cabo once, after one of the ports was closed to cruises. the ship had to leave the bay and return the next morning. other than that experience I have never been at a port 2 days.

A woman I sat with at dinner on my 2016 Baltic cruise stayed with a friend on the overnight. It wasn't a real simple process and she had to pay for a visa to do it. When you do a Princess tour, or other private tours they handle the visa. Going it alone, it is something you would have to do. I would definitely do mega research on staying over, pros and cons. The ship did stay at the dock the whole time. As others have stated, don't take the answer from one phone call to Princess as gospel.

The form was required when I left the Crown Princess in Buenos Aires last March and returned 1 night later to continue the cruise to Florida

thank you for bringing up this subject : I have been thinking about the same . My question is respect to a 2 day stop over in St. Petersburg. Does anyone have information on independent travel and staying off the ship . does the ship stay at the port with gangway down or does the ship leave and come back . we had a two day in cabo once, after one of the ports was closed to cruises. the ship had to leave the bay and return the next morning. other than that experience I have never been at a port 2 days.

I have visited St Petersburg several times via cruise ship. In each case the ship remained tied-up in port. The larger ships are tied-up at the main harbor. The smaller ships are berthed (essentially) downtown along the river not far from St Issac's Cathedral.

Russia has some very strict visa rules, so be careful with your plans. It may be necessary to obtain Russian Visas for an independent overnight stay.

Russian Visas are not required for either ship sponsored tours or tours obtained directly from a Russian Tour Company. In these situations the needed tourist visas are obtained on your behalf by the tour operators.

There is a huge difference between Russia and Ireland. The Russian authorities do not like foreigners wandering about independently as they have sensitive views on western ways e.g. aircraft and train spotters are viewed more as industrial spies than anoraks. The Irish authorities are far more understanding of this sort of thing and will accept people who do not drink alcohol as well as those that do. Drinking and driving is not acceptable but a sing-song bar full of people who have turned up at a pub with musical instruments is normal in many pubs. They speak your language and are one of the friendliest peoples of the world.

Regards John

We did an over night in Hong Kong and am extremely happy that we did. I did call Princess before the cruise just to be on the safe side. They said it would be no problem. Once on board we did let the passenger service people know that we would not be returning that night. There were really no problems.

The problem I can see on overnights is if an hotel requires a passport to check in and the ship is holding your passport.

I have a problem on our upcoming South America cruise. I want to get off the ship in Rio and rejoining the ship in Buenos Aires. (We would miss a couple of sea days and Montevideo where we have been before. In turn we pick up more time in Rio and Iguazu Falls). For that I will need passport. On the last South American cruise, the ship held all passports to the end of the cruise. I called Princess and asked if this was possible and the agent sad it was. But I don't know if she actually knew or was just guessing.

You do not have a problem with Princess holding your passport. Simply go to Guest Services, ask for your passport before you leave the ship. They will give it to you -- they do not hold it hostage. They will ask that you return the passport when you come back on board.

I always take my passport when I leave the ship and have never had an issue or been questioned when I have requested my "held" passport.

For those that are having a traumatic reaction to the fact I take my passport with me in ports, save your judgmental comments for another thread because they just are not relevant here.

thank you for all the quick feedback. Lots of excellent points surrounding the passports I had not even considered when I first posed the question.

Superfragger - couldn't agree more. Even if most Irish accommodations will accept other forms of documents. Just that 0.1% chance that I miss the ship on my return, I really would need my passport to continue my journey.

snowskier - I really appreciate your first-hand experience/feedback on fetching back the passports. Scanning thru the forums today, I'll across passengers on this BI cruise that experienced both having their passports held for the entire cruise while others had theirs returned midway thru the cruise. I will make the request from guest services just for this port.

For those that are having a traumatic reaction to the fact I take my passport with me in ports, save your judgmental comments for another thread because they just are not relevant here.

No judgment here, but since you brought it up...it is definitely not required to take passports when you get off the ship. In fact, I have been on ships where they strongly discourage people from taking their passports off the ship. More issues if the passport gets lost or stolen then if one left it on the ship. So I leave mine on the ship except for the rare case that it is required to take my passport with me.

There is no reason why the ship would depart prior to its normal sailing time and date. It they did sail before scheduled and left people stranded there would be questions for the cruise line to answer and probably be liable for your expenses so caused.

If a ship departs at it's scheduled time and they know there are people being left ashore the procedure is to make sure the passports are offloaded and given to the port agent.

Regards John

No judgment here, but since you brought it up...it is definitely not required to take passports when you get off the ship. In fact, I have been on ships where they strongly discourage people from taking their passports off the ship. More issues if the passport gets lost or stolen then if one left it on the ship. So I leave mine on the ship except for the rare case that it is required to take my passport with me.

Depends on the country. Russia and Egypt, for example, require it.

There is no reason why the ship would depart prior to its normal sailing time and date. It they did sail before scheduled and left people stranded there would be questions for the cruise line to answer and probably be liable for your expenses so caused.

If a ship departs at it's scheduled time and they know there are people being left ashore the procedure is to make sure the passports are offloaded and given to the port agent.

It is rare, but it does happen occasionally, usually due to deteriorating weather conditions.

I remember one cruise line (do not remember which one) a couple of years ago had to leave San Juan earlier than scheduled due to weather, thus leaving a number of very unhappy passengers ashore.

It is rare, but it does happen occasionally, usually due to deteriorating weather conditions.

I remember one cruise line (do not remember which one) a couple of years ago had to leave San Juan earlier than scheduled due to weather, thus leaving a number of very unhappy passengers ashore.

I am thinking if they do maroon you by departing early (I heard of a case with Alaskan official tour people were left ashore through weather) the cruise line is responsible for you and your expenses of repatriation to the ship or home port at the lines expense.

Regards John

I am thinking if they do maroon you by departing early (I heard of a case with Alaskan official tour people were left ashore through weather) the cruise line is responsible for you and your expenses of repatriation to the ship or home port at the lines expense.

Regards John

My guess is that there is a clause in their contract absolving them of any liability.

I guess you only read part of my post ��. I mentioned that in the last sentence of my post!

I am not seeing that. I see a reference to the ship giving the passports to the local agent if necessary, but no reference to the requirement that some countries have that all passengers must have their passports with them if they go ashore for the time the ship is in port.