Is HAL too formal for me?

fredflint

If you can dress in something more formal than your swim suit or your pajamas you will be fine. We saw everything on our last cruise including a young man in shorts and a tee shirt in the dining room. No one said anything.

We now split our cruising dollars between Holland America and Princess. The last New Year's Eve cruise that we were on, table next to us wore casual. I was wearing a tuxedo. I think from now on, a nice sports coat approach will be the most extreme I will go for 'gala nights' on either cruise line. :)

Gala Nights are pretty and fun. They offer a brief opportunity to harken back to the former days of traditional cruising. Enjoy them in the lovely HAL main dining rooms at least a few times per cruise.

When did you start cruising on Holland America? I ask because I see almost nothing about current Gala nights that harken back to the former days of traditional cruising as I remember them.

When did you start cruising on Holland America? I ask because I see almost nothing about current Gala nights that harken back to the former days of traditional cruising as I remember them.

...harken back to the traditional days of cruising ...... except when traveling in steerage of course. This statement has nothing to do with HAL; it has everything to do with the traditional days of cruising when dressing for dinner was every day; not just special occasion evenings.

Harkening back was a term intentionally chose for its sense of nostalgia, gauzy or otherwise. It is a lovely tradition and I am glad other passengers continue to enjoy it too.

...harken back to the traditional days of cruising ...... except when traveling in steerage of course. This statement has nothing to do with HAL; it has everything to do with the traditional days of cruising when dressing for dinner was every day; not just special occasion evenings.

And you think that people wearing "nicer" clothes (whatever that might mean) in the main dining room on HAL recreates that?

I agree with you. With how loud and chaotic the MDR has become, along with the decreased food quality, I don't think gala night harkens back to the old days at all. Gala night is just like every other night but with different clothing.

I agree with you. With how loud and chaotic the MDR has become, along with the decreased food quality, I don't think gala night harkens back to the old days at all. Gala night is just like every other night but with different clothing.

To be honest, the tables we are seated at are very likely the source of some of that noise :D

It isn't the noise that bothers me nearly as much as what has happened with the food. I remember some of the pre-2008 offerings. >sigh< ;)

edited to add: Of course the cost of cruising hasn't kept up with the cost of providing that food, I understand that, and realize that I get to cruise because it remains a very affordable vacation choice :)

Edited by VennDiagram

'Late sitting dinner in the upper dining room is not noisy and chaotic; nor has the food decreased in quality, but it has changed to have more variety, freshness and new flavors. Yes, gala night is when those who like to still wear more formal wear wear more formal wear. Yes, they are free to wear formal wear every single night - they need no ship's or special evening permission to do this.

Not sure why you are making such a big deal about this - you get to wear whatever you want. And those who do like to dress up ........harkening back to the more traditional days of dressing for dinner on cruise ships........ - or really passenger ships -- get to have some special fun on those nights too. Can you just let this go?

A brief history of the changes in the passnger/cruise ship experience: http://cruisepassenger.com.au/a-brief-history-of-cruising/

I made one post, and it was just agreeing with something someone else said. That's hardly making a big deal about anything.

But you disagreed, that is the problem ;). The food has most certainly decreased in quality unless you are on grand, world or long cruises. It may be different on those cruises.

But you disagreed, that is the problem ;). The food has most certainly decreased in quality unless you are on grand, world or long cruises. It may be different on those cruises.

Bolding is mine and to that sentence I so agree. I also think you are right on the food.

I have noticed a significant difference in food on longer / more exotic cruises (and usually pricier) than the shorter ones. Haven't been on a Grand or World but I suspect it is the same.

As they say, dress up for yourself and enjoy this splendid opportunity to take it up a notch on your own cruise. The more the merrier. Love the way the room takes on a special glow these nights ...still. Thank you all for continuing the tradition.

A large table for the evening meal, either traditional assigned dining -where you get to know a group, or a different group every evening, affords the sort of conversation which makes dinner more than just filling your belly.

I guess it depends on what your likes and dislikes are, but at home we have dinner with friends or else host a dinner ourselves on average of at least a couple of times a month: three to five couples contribute to enjoyable conversation - almost always including one or two people dining and talking with people they had not met before.

Dinner can (and should) be more than a quick refueling stop - and the MDR affords that option

Yup.

Food is gourmet. Ship and cabins all in tip top condition.

Entertainment is top drawer....similar to Vegas. Lots of enrichment speakers on board. Fabulous frequent cruiser program. And a state of the art customer web site to boot!

If you've sailed a number of times with hal over several years I think it's pretty easy to see the decline and for it to be a valid comment. If you've sailed once with hal, not so much. I've sailed with carnival once a few years ago. I feel I'm in no position to make any sort of a valid comment as to their quality or if it has declined.