Is HAL too formal for me?

fredflint

To me, formal invokes visions of wearing a suit and tie for dinner every evening. Fortunately HAL isn't that type of cruise line. I agree that it is staid depending on itinerary and time of year, but we actually prefer it over the other lines we have been on.

Food is gourmet. Ship and cabins all in tip top condition.

Entertainment is top drawer....similar to Vegas. Lots of enrichment speakers on board. Fabulous frequent cruiser program. And a state of the art customer web site to boot!

This!;)

I was on the fence of bringing a gown on my last cruise but glad I did. It was nice to wear and loved seeing my hubby in a bow-tie and the other folks who chose to dress up. However, it did not detract from my evening to have others wearing chinos and shirts. It is their vacation too and if it meets the dress code I don't think they should feel obligated to go beyond that.

I didn't consider the gala night any different than other nights in the dining room (even food-wise), other than ME feeling more comfortable being dressed up. It can be as troubling (for me) to be underdressed as it is overdressed (yet I often tend to be a bit overdressed for everything).

As others have said, it is a good night to get photos taken and many on HAL don't run back to their cabins to change out of their formalwear. Mine did though this cruise (after Trivia of course), in-part because our daughter (age 12) was forced to wear a formal dress and shoes which are not comfortable to her. She is not a girly-girl, so her outfit probably felt like the equivalent of me having to wear overalls. Formal nights do tend to have a bit of an expectation around them, and the last thing I wanted to happen was to have anyone seeing our family and disapproving of how young-people dress today! It would probably end up being a topic on here... :')

We only travel with casual clothing now.

Nothing to do with being formal or not. It is all about how we travel and how we pack.

Not certain why anyone would really care about the opinions of other cruisers given that they are so varied.

Fortunately it isthe M'aitre d decides who gets admitted to the MDR, based on attire and not anyone on this forum. I can just imagine the gong show if it were otherwise.

We have not tried out our casual clothing but it will pass the 'suggested attire' list for gala night. Casual slacks and a collared shirt. I don't own any flip flops, t shirts, muscle shirts, nor do I wear hats. Ditto for DW. She does, however, leave her Sunday beads and other jewels at home when we travel.

And we always shower and change before dinner. Hope that meets your approval.

Fortunately it isthe M'aitre d decides who gets admitted to the MDR, based on attire and not anyone on this forum. I can just imagine the gong show if it were otherwise.

Actually, that might be rather entertaining. Passengers would enter the MDR and stand upon a pedestal viewable to all. There would be one of those old fashioned game show Applause Meters. If the passengers pass muster, then they're allowed in. Otherwise they are dropped onto a slide taking them to the buffet. Might even degenerate into an old fashioned food fight.

Actually, that might be rather entertaining. Passengers would enter the MDR and stand upon a pedestal viewable to all. There would be one of those old fashioned game show Applause Meters. If the passengers pass muster, then they're allowed in. Otherwise they are dropped onto a slide taking them to the buffet. Might even degenerate into an old fashioned food fight.

That's an awesome idea, and quite the creative one I might add!:)