All Ama cruisers!!! Share expierences and ideas

Crusin-Suzan

Thank you so much Migelito for the daily sheets and the photos. We are on AmaLea Danube in April so our weather will be significantly cooler, for sure! I didn't realize that there were some evening activities off ship, so it was good to see the Vienna choices. Much appreciated :-)

Hi mrsm88, which date in April are you sailing?

We are cruising on the AMACerto in October 2019 doing the Blue Danube Discovery cruise. This will be our first river cruise and we are very excited. I am one of those people who likes to plan ahead and know everything, so I was glad to find this board as there isn't much information anywhere. We are traveling with one other couple and we plan to do several days in Budapest before the cruise and then several days after the cruise somewhere else - we can't decide where to go. Have already been to Munich and Prague, so trying to think of somewhere different but close by. We've done many ocean cruises and I usually book our own excursions for those trips vs. using the ship's ones - would that be ill-advised for the river cruise? I'm also interested in the Chef's Table, but we have food allergies and super picky eaters, so I'm not sure it would be worth it? Thanks everyone, and can't wait to hear and learn more over the next year!

Aside from the fact that most excursions are already included (and are pretty good) the times in port are uncertain due to river traffic and other conditions. And, as this summer has shown, you might not even be on the planned for itinerary.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We are cruising on the AMACerto in October 2019 doing the Blue Danube Discovery cruise. This will be our first river cruise and we are very excited. I am one of those people who likes to plan ahead and know everything, so I was glad to find this board as there isn't much information anywhere. We are traveling with one other couple and we plan to do several days in Budapest before the cruise and then several days after the cruise somewhere else - we can't decide where to go. Have already been to Munich and Prague, so trying to think of somewhere different but close by. We've done many ocean cruises and I usually book our own excursions for those trips vs. using the ship's ones - would that be ill-advised for the river cruise? I'm also interested in the Chef's Table, but we have food allergies and super picky eaters, so I'm not sure it would be worth it? Thanks everyone, and can't wait to hear and learn more over the next year!

It’s about 3 1/2 hours by train from Nuremberg to Berlin. We spent a few days there before Baltic cruise last year and really enjoyed ourselves.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

If you’re super picky eaters not sure if the Chefs Table is for you. It’s a tasting menu. You get a little of everything. No choice. And wine pairing to accompany. You can peruse the menu once you get onboard to see if it works for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We are doing Melodies of the Danube & I wanted to fly somewhere direct pre cruise & couldn't get to Budapest direct, so....we are going to Belgium for a few days. It is a 90 minute flight (Brussels air has 3-4/day) from Brussels to Budapest. Plan on a day to Bruges & a 1/2 day to Ghent.

Migelito -- thanks so much for sharing your photos and the other information. My friends and I are sailing the AmaDante Moselle and Rhine cruise November 2018. Looking forward to using the Ama app to organize photos.

For other Ama cruisers -- did you dine at the Chef's Table? How was the experience? I love that it is included in the fare.

Chef's Table - Have done this on our 2 prior cruises. Its a fixed menu with wine pairing. The portions are "tastings" size and there are usually 3 of each course- except soup. Service is excellent. You can watch the chef prepare your make- he is in a glass enclosed kitchen.NB: I have a nut allergy and AMA was scrupulous in making sure nuts were omitted from all of my meals

Have a great trip

Carole

Enjoyed the pictures. Anyone doing the Gems of Southeast Europe on the AmaCerto? Leaving US Sep 18 for pre-cruise out of Bucharest. Any suggestions from anyone?

Looks like we are doing the same cruise but 1 week before your cruise. What a shame it is not the same one.

For other Ama cruisers -- did you dine at the Chef's Table? How was the experience? I love that it is included in the fare.

Just got off AmaStella. The Chef's Table was the best meal of the cruise. Definitely a "Tasting Menu." Very creative, See the photos.

Tip: Be sure to review the itinerary as soon as you board and make your reservation ASAP. We did not do this and by the time I tried to make reservations there was only one night available. We had to skip a late afternoon excursion on our night.

20180824_194800.jpg.b58d7925735412f472f11b704cd1f3ca.jpg

20180824_200122.jpg.8884a500cee5fb65d9fa3bda5447fcbe.jpg

20180824_201909.jpg.ba098f87834ef90c90a660db7fccea65.jpg

20180824_203713.jpg.02dc1aa35ad0cf466fd04ba40b158886.jpg

20180824_210901.jpg.b4a7a6206d13d909380d611daecbeaf4.jpg

20180824_193438.jpg.5946b39dc7762edb80d32e8e259220db.jpg

I have a question for all who have done river cruises. Do they offer waffles and or pancakes for breakfast; and for dinner do they offer any type of pasta with marinara sauce like the cruise lines do? Thanks. My wife wants to take a river cruise so that's why I ask these questions.

I have a question for all who have done river cruises. Do they offer waffles and or pancakes for breakfast; and for dinner do they offer any type of pasta with marinara sauce like the cruise lines do?

On our 2018 cruise on AmaStella there were pancakes and waffles for breakfast. I do not recall seeing pasta on the menu, but it might have been there.

On our 2018 cruise on AmaStella there were pancakes and waffles for breakfast. I do not recall seeing pasta on the menu, but it might have been there.

On my Vietnam/Cambodia trip the always available items were steak, chicken and fish. Because this was Asia, we also generally had noodles of some kind, but not the kind of pasta the OP is looking for.

I have a question for all who have done river cruises. Do they offer waffles and or pancakes for breakfast; and for dinner do they offer any type of pasta with marinara sauce like the cruise lines do? Thanks. My wife wants to take a river cruise so that's why I ask these questions.

They might offer pasta with marinara some night(s) but certainly not every night. The menus on river cruises are much more limited than the ones on the ocean cruises. Usually only 3 or 4 entrees are offered every night and there is only one MDR.

Just got off AmaStella. The Chef's Table was the best meal of the cruise. Definitely a "Tasting Menu." Very creative, See the photos.

Tip: Be sure to review the itinerary as soon as you board and make your reservation ASAP. We did not do this and by the time I tried to make reservations there was only one night available. We had to skip a late afternoon excursion on our night.

Stunning photos. Looking forward to our wine cruise in November on AMAPrima.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Hello fellow AMA cruisers! We leave the end of the month for AMA's Enticing Duoro, Portugal. While we have been on 4 other rivers with AMA, this cruise is a bit unusual as there is no night crusing and more bus travel to get where we need to be, which is fine. I have searched but find no "recent" reviews. If anyone can share their experiences, we would appreciate it. We are staying in Porto 2 nights after the cruise on our own. Thank you!

Hello fellow AMA cruisers! We leave the end of the month for AMA's Enticing Duoro, Portugal. While we have been on 4 other rivers with AMA, this cruise is a bit unusual as there is no night crusing and more bus travel to get where we need to be, which is fine. I have searched but find no "recent" reviews. If anyone can share their experiences, we would appreciate it. We are staying in Porto 2 nights after the cruise on our own. Thank you!

Have a great trip. We would love to hear your review when you return. This river cruise is on our bucket list.

Beautiful photos. Leaving next June for Bordeaux.I'm drooling already

Carole