Viking vs Vantage on the Rhine / Moselle

cruiser02

We found the Vantage Rhine/Mosell (Basel to Amsterdam) cruise to be excellent.

(Went on the Viking web site to compare their Mosell trip, and couldn't find any! Maybe I didn't look carefully enough.)

Dave- I only saw the Viking Basel-Amsterdam 7 night cruise as well, which stays on the Rhine. We're booked on the Vantage Rhine/Mosel for November. Not ideal weather-wise, but price and being able to have 2 of our kids join us post-cruise for 8 days in Belgium over Thanksgiving will make up for it.

How long ago did you sail?

Did you take the optional tour to Luxembourg, or stay in Schweich for the day? We're thinking of day just wandering on our own would be nice; it's day 12 of the cruise.

We're happy to be on the River Voyager again, can't wait!

Thanks

Did you take the optional tour to Luxembourg, or stay in Schweich for the day? We're thinking of day just wandering on our own would be nice; it's day 12 of the cruise.

We did the Vantage Rhine-Moselle back in 2015. For the day in Schweich, I would seriously consider taking a train into Trier and visiting the Landesmuseum as well as other Roman sites that aren't included on most of the tours. The museum is loaded with relics from Trier's days as a major Roman city. You can see, among other things, beautiful large mosaics and the Trier Gold Hoard of over 2,500 gold coins found in 1993. The Roman amphitheater is another km walk from the Landesmuseum.

The train trip appears to take about 15 minutes, and they run very 15-30 minutes. The walk from the Trier train station is about 1 km (0.6 miles).

We did the Vantage Rhine-Moselle back in 2015. For the day in Schweich, I would seriously consider taking a train into Trier and visiting the Landesmuseum as well as other Roman sites that aren't included on most of the tours.

The train trip appears to take about 15 minutes, and they run very 15-30 minutes. The walk from the Trier train station is about 1 km (0.6 miles).

Fuel- Perfect, I think that's what we'll do.

We'll be staying on post-cruise and staying a night in both Dunkirk and Ypres, so we will be spending time visiting WW sites then.

Thanks.

Did you do the cruise when they stopped in Arnhem?

How long ago did you sail?

We're happy to be on the River Voyager again, can't wait!

Our trip was in August 2015, on the River Navigator. We did not take the optional tour, but just wandered around Schweiz & vicinity for the day. However, of all the stops, Schweiz probably had the least to offer. If I'd known about the train excursion that FuelScience describes, I think we would have done that.

We found the Vantage Rhine/Mosell (Basel to Amsterdam) cruise to be excellent.

(Went on the Viking web site to compare their Mosell trip, and couldn't find any! Maybe I didn't look carefully enough.)

Paris to the Swiss Alps is the Viking Moselle / Rhine cruise.

We are taking it this June

OK, I see which one you're talking about.

That looks like a very nice route, especially if you want to see Paris.

Two things about Vantage that attracted me: 14 nights on the boat, I like that longer routes, less packing and unpacking. It feels like you can really settle in. Second, it was less expensive, especially for the last sailing. When they included the 3 night Bruge extension without extra charge, that convinced me.

I have sailed Viking and enjoyed it. The Aquavit Lounge is fantastic and has the best seats in the house. Vantage's second dining room is at the opposite end of the ship, (stern). When stopped you have the aux generator noise and smell. Even when cruising, it's not a relaxing spot.

I also liked that their are more international travelers on Viking. Vantage was mostly just US and Canadian citizens.

Vantage's standard cabins are larger than VIkings (on their newer ships), and their is less of a job in $ between cabin classes.

We really enjoyed the french balcony, that's what we're going with again in November.

Sign up for e-mails from both, you'll get tons. You can find good specials if you're patient.

If you want to see more of the Mosel, I think Avalon spends the most time on that section than the others.

Enjoy.

Our trip was in August 2015, on the River Navigator. We did not take the optional tour, but just wandered around Schweiz & vicinity for the day. However, of all the stops, Schweiz probably had the least to offer. If I'd known about the train excursion that FuelScience describes, I think we would have done that.

Did you enjoy the trip? What time of year did you sail?

Favorite port? Fuel Science and previous reading have me excited for Trier, and Strausbourg.

I enjoy the Roman ruins and history. In Passau with Viking, we had extra time and I made it to the Roman museum there. It is built over and adjacent to an old fort. Extremely well done. I was there the first week of July and was one of only a few visitors.

Thanks, Brian

Did you enjoy the trip? What time of year did you sail?

Favorite port? Fuel Science and previous reading have me excited for Trier, and Strausbourg.

We took the trip in August, and thought it was excellent. Favorite ports? I would agree with FuelScience, and add Boppard and Bernkastel.

One thing about Schweiz vs. Luxembourg I forgot to mention: that night, we dined with folks who had just returned from the Luxembourg tour, and asked them what they thought of it. They said they thought it really wasn't worth the price. More reason to try FuelScience's suggestion...

Going from Schweich to Trier sounds a great idea. Easy to do. You take the regional train and do not book seats by the way. Schweich does not seem to have much info in English available. If you are in any doubt as regards what to do there or how it will work out by train you can contact the tourist information there: http://www.roemische-weinstrasse.de/roemische_weinstrasse/de/Region/Orte%20der%20R%C3%B6mischen%20Weinstra%C3%9Fe/Schweich/

notamermaid