Vasa, Gamla Stan, and the Hoho Boat - questions

Mrs Booboo

I've read many posts related to the Vasa and using the Hoho boat to get there, but I'm still not entirely clear on a few things. We're docking at S167 Stadsgarden. The Vasa opens at 8:30 when we'll be there, and people have said the Hoho boat goes to the Vasa directly until 10:00 AM (meaning it goes counter clockwise from its normal route). So my questions are:

1) There seems to be some question on whether or not you can buy a single ticket just for this ride.

2) If you finish with the Vasa after 10:00 AM and want to go over to the Gamla Stan area, and you get back on the Hoho (with a 24 hour pass), will you have to ride on the boat in the other direction (clockwise)? Meaning, the boat stops at D, E, F (the cruise dock), and G before reaching stop H (Gamla Stan)?

3) If we then want to take the Hoho boat back to the ship from Gamla Stan, we would then have to again ride it around clockwise (making several stops) before reaching the dock? Would it be better to just walk back to the dock?

Seems like this would all work so much better for everybody if the boat went counter clockwise and went from ship to Vasa to Gamla Stan and back to ship :D

I've read many posts related to the Vasa and using the Hoho boat to get there, but I'm still not entirely clear on a few things. We're docking at S167 Stadsgarden. The Vasa opens at 8:30 when we'll be there, and people have said the Hoho boat goes to the Vasa directly until 10:00 AM (meaning it goes counter clockwise from its normal route). So my questions are:

1) There seems to be some question on whether or not you can buy a single ticket just for this ride.

2) If you finish with the Vasa after 10:00 AM and want to go over to the Gamla Stan area, and you get back on the Hoho (with a 24 hour pass), will you have to ride on the boat in the other direction (clockwise)? Meaning, the boat stops at D, E, F (the cruise dock), and G before reaching stop H (Gamla Stan)?

3) If we then want to take the Hoho boat back to the ship from Gamla Stan, we would then have to again ride it around clockwise (making several stops) before reaching the dock? Would it be better to just walk back to the dock?

Seems like this would all work so much better for everybody if the boat went counter clockwise and went from ship to Vasa to Gamla Stan and back to ship :D

You need to purchase a 24 hour pass - AFAIK, one cannot purchase a single ride to the Vasa on the HOHO.

However,since you are docking at Stadsgården and looking for a single ride,a better option may be the Djurgården Ferry –this was our mode of transport to the Vasa when docking at Stadsgården. It is a simple 5 minute stroll from where you ship docks to the ferry terminal. This same ferry will also return you to Gamla Stan. You can read about the ferry here:

http://stockholmtourist.blogspot.com/2017/09/djurgard-ferry-best-way-to-get-to.html

The confusion is that Stromma used to sell one ride tickets, and it was a great deal when I sailed four years ago but for the past few seasons, they've stopped selling these tickets. You should check closer to sailing (you can google the HOHO companies and they will have price options on their webpage.) The start time appears to change sometimes - when we sailed it was an 8:30 direct to Vasa, but a few years later they stopped doing that and began running their ferries starting at 10 am. Last summer, I emailed one of the companies and they confirmed that they were running the HOHO ferry starting at 8:30 am. Basically, you'd need to research this close to your actual trip, since the start time seems to change. It seems unlikely that they'd bring back the one ride ticket, but that was a great deal when it happened. I don't usually do HOHO buses or boats, but being on the water in Stockholm was gorgeous and we got a lot of great pictures. But given the likely cost of a 24 hour ticket, you best bet was probably recommended by the posters above if you wouldn't use the ferry again (we wound up actually taking it twice since we stumbled upon it right as we finished touring Galma Stan, and they took us directly back to our dock.

Does the m/s Emelie run on Saturdays? I couldn't really tell from their website.

As for the Djurgarden Ferry, I didn't see a ferry stop that was only a 5-minute stroll from the ship; it looked like the closest terminal was at Slussen. And does it then dock at Allmana Grand terminal (a short walk to Vasa)?

And then how did you get from Vasa to Gamla Stan? Take the ferry from Allmana Grand to Nybroplan and walk to Old Town?

Does the m/s Emelie run on Saturdays? I couldn't really tell from their website.

As for the Djurgarden Ferry, I didn't see a ferry stop that was only a 5-minute stroll from the ship; it looked like the closest terminal was at Slussen. And does it then dock at Allmana Grand terminal (a short walk to Vasa)?

And then how did you get from Vasa to Gamla Stan? Take the ferry from Allmana Grand to Nybroplan and walk to Old Town?

M/S Emelie runs every day of the week but less frequents on weekends. 09:28 is first departure from S167 during weekends.

You are correct that it is a long walk from S167 to where Djurgårdsfärjan berths in Gamla Stan (just north of Slussen).

Its about a 2km walk, As you say Djurgårdsfärjan berths at Allmänna gränd at Djurgården from which it is a short walk to Vasa.

The HoHo boats, if the run in the morning, will berth directly at Vasa. Both Emelie and the HoHo boats departs

from the same part of the S167 berth.

• 5 months later...
M/S Emelie runs every day of the week but less frequents on weekends. 09:28 is first departure from S167 during weekends.

You are correct that it is a long walk from S167 to where Djurgårdsfärjan berths in Gamla Stan (just north of Slussen).

Its about a 2km walk, As you say Djurgårdsfärjan berths at Allmänna gränd at Djurgården from which it is a short walk to Vasa.

The HoHo boats, if the run in the morning, will berth directly at Vasa. Both Emelie and the HoHo boats departs

from the same part of the S167 berth.

We will be there on a Friday and are hoping to go to the Vasa, possibly Skansen and then to Gamla Stan before heading back to the ship. In reviewing the M/S Emelie map it seems the stop for Vasa is Djurgarden. From there which stop would it be to the Gamla Stan and then back to ship? We are docking at Stadsgarden port- not sure if it's 167. I can't seem to identify the stop at the cruise port on the map.

Need to understand how long it would take to get from the Vasa Museum back to S167...Assume walk from Vasa back to ferry which would then drop at/near Slussen and walk back to S167. How much time should I allow to do that?

We will be there on a Friday and are hoping to go to the Vasa, possibly Skansen and then to Gamla Stan before heading back to the ship. In reviewing the M/S Emelie map it seems the stop for Vasa is Djurgarden. From there which stop would it be to the Gamla Stan and then back to ship? We are docking at Stadsgarden port- not sure if it's 167. I can't seem to identify the stop at the cruise port on the map.

Yeah Emelie goes between Hammarby Sjöstad and Nybroplan. She stops at Masthamnen (S167) at Djurgården (Vasa jetty) (+ some other stops that aren't relevant) and then Nybroplan.It does not go to Gamla stan. You will have to use Djurgårdsfärjan which departs from Allmänna gränd which is a short walk from Vasa. https://kartor.eniro.se/m/0oVfA

If you are on the Zuiderdam this Friday then you are at S167.

Need to understand how long it would take to get from the Vasa Museum back to S167...

Assume walk from Vasa back to ferry which would then drop at/near Slussen and walk back to S167.

How much time should I allow to do that?

Vasa to ferry is 700m so like 10-15 minutes?

Ferry queuing is hard to estimate but ferries are frequent, every 10 minutes, but maybe 20 minutes?

Journey is 10 minutes

Walking back to ship 35-90 minutes depending on amount of photo stops. ;)

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/59.3231552,18.0756649/59.3188155,18.0770919/59.3174406,18.0831993/59.317168,18.089406/59.3154526,18.0943452/59.314045,18.0990409/Souvenir+shop/@59.3184586,18.0873641,1649m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m14!4m13!1m0!1m0!1m0!1m0!1m0!1m0!1m5!1m1!1s0x465f7806991474a1:0xee7babc7e73dbca4!2m2!1d18.1032593!2d59.315975!3e2

Yeah Emelie goes between Hammarby Sjöstad and Nybroplan. She stops at Masthamnen (S167) at Djurgården (Vasa jetty) (+ some other stops that aren't relevant) and then Nybroplan.It does not go to Gamla stan. You will have to use Djurgårdsfärjan which departs from Allmänna gränd which is a short walk from Vasa. https://kartor.eniro.se/m/0oVfA

If you are on the Zuiderdam this Friday then you are at S167.

Thank you! So we would have to take the ferry from Djurgårdsfärjan that is not the Emelie. I had been looking at the pass for the Emelie but now since it's 2 different ferries it sounds like it would be better to buy 1 way for each. How would I get back from Gamla Stan to the cruise ship if we were to take the ferry? Or is there another mode of transportation that would be better. Is walking back a possibility? We will be on the Disney Magic next Friday- will it be at S167? Thanks for all your help.

Thank you! So we would have to take the ferry from Djurgårdsfärjan that is not the Emelie. I had been looking at the pass for the Emelie but now since it's 2 different ferries it sounds like it would be better to buy 1 way for each. How would I get back from Gamla Stan to the cruise ship if we were to take the ferry? Or is there another mode of transportation that would be better. Is walking back a possibility? We will be on the Disney Magic next Friday- will it be at S167? Thanks for all your help.

There is no direct ferry so if you want to go by ferry you would have to return the same way you came.

Djugårdsfärjan Gamla Stan - Djurgården and then Emelie Djurgården-Masthamnen (S167).

The other option would be bus (have to buy tickets before board the bus) #53 from Mälartorget ot Londonviadukten.

Destination sign will say Henriksdalsberget or FInnberget

https://sl.se/sv/#/Travel/SearchTravelByStartPosition/M%C3%A4lartorget/Londonviadukten%20(Stockholm)/59.3229333012159/18.0682282482425/1461/2018-08-03%252015_00/depart/sv/null/null/2,8,1,4,96,/null/null/null/null/null/false/null/1/0/null/false

There is no direct ferry so if you want to go by ferry you would have to return the same way you came.

Djugårdsfärjan Gamla Stan - Djurgården and then Emelie Djurgården-Masthamnen (S167).

The other option would be bus (have to buy tickets before board the bus) #53 from Mälartorget ot Londonviadukten.

Destination sign will say Henriksdalsberget or FInnberget

https://sl.se/sv/#/Travel/SearchTravelByStartPosition/M%C3%A4lartorget/Londonviadukten%20(Stockholm)/59.3229333012159/18.0682282482425/1461/2018-08-03%252015_00/depart/sv/null/null/2,8,1,4,96,/null/null/null/null/null/false/null/1/0/null/false

Hi..Looking for advice on how to find out where our ship docks? I've checked several sites, but so far, no success. We're on the Celebrity Eclipse docking on Sunday Aug 26; from 9:00-4:00 pm. Definitely want to see the Vasa museum, Gamla Stan and if time the ABBA museum. Do you think that's possible? Is the ABBA museum worth taking the time? And any advice on getting to these spots from the ship would be great.

Thanks in advance!

Hi..Looking for advice on how to find out where our ship docks? I've checked several sites, but so far, no success. We're on the Celebrity Eclipse docking on Sunday Aug 26; from 9:00-4:00 pm. Definitely want to see the Vasa museum, Gamla Stan and if time the ABBA museum. Do you think that's possible? Is the ABBA museum worth taking the time? And any advice on getting to these spots from the ship would be great.

Thanks in advance!

You will be arrive at Stadsgården S167 and you can find info at: http://www.portsofstockholm.com/vessel-calls/

Directions is the same as mentioned before, HoHo boats or M/S Emelie to Djurpården/Vasa. However,

I do think you will find it hard to catch the 09:14 departure with Emelie unless your ship is early.

Then follow the instructions I gave to Twilightstar18. You should have time to do all three but Regal Princess is also

in Stockholm (Nynäshamn) that day so Vasa might take longer then expected they only allow a certain amount of

visitors in the museum at a time due to climate control to protect the ship and to prevent the museum from getting to crowded.

Vasa and Abba is very close (just a few hundred meters) so if you want to do Abba do it at the same time

as Vasa. Booking tickets in advance for Abba might be a good idea if you absolutely want to see it. Otherwise do Vasa and

walk past Abba enroute to Djurgårdsfärjan and if there aren't many visitors at Abba then go inside before you head over to Old Town.

I have never been at Abba but from what I've heard it is supposed to be very good.