If you travel solo...

Eskylady

Hello,

I'm sailing solo on Regal 3/18/18. I normally either cruise with someone else and always have chosen late traditional dining. I also once cruised my myself and was seated at a table of 10 late traditional which I enjoyed very much, but don't want the time constraint. For this cruise, I'm thinking I will probably go to the buffet or have room service. My question is, what if I really want to go to one of the specialty restaurants for a change? Do people stare at a single or is it inappropriate as far as using a table multiple people could use? Should I try to see if there is another single or anyone that would join me on the roll call, or do I just suck it up and stick with the original plan or go for it? Anyone? Also, if anyone has any tips to share for a solo I'd love to know. I am aware of the "solos" board, but was hoping for Princess specific. Thanks!

Most of my cruises on Princess have been solo. For dining, I tend to use anytime dining because it not only lets me meet new people, but lets me eat by myself if I so choose. I ate at Sabatinis both with a family member and by myself. It didn't seem to make a difference. Enjoy!

Hello,

I'm sailing solo on Regal 3/18/18. I normally either cruise with someone else and always have chosen late traditional dining. I also once cruised my myself and was seated at a table of 10 late traditional which I enjoyed very much, but don't want the time constraint. For this cruise, I'm thinking I will probably go to the buffet or have room service. My question is, what if I really want to go to one of the specialty restaurants for a change? Do people stare at a single or is it inappropriate as far as using a table multiple people could use? Should I try to see if there is another single or anyone that would join me on the roll call, or do I just suck it up and stick with the original plan or go for it? Anyone? Also, if anyone has any tips to share for a solo I'd love to know. I am aware of the "solos" board, but was hoping for Princess specific. Thanks!

Not inappropriate if you're alone, but why not find a friend from the roll call or anywhere on the ship and make it a party?

One of our cruises, someone organized a CC dinner in Crown Grill. We had 2 tables. Lots of fun.:D

I've cruised solo. Do anything you want to do on your own....or look at the roll calls and see if you meet up with people there. My last cruise was not solo, but I had a great time with someone from the roll calls when on one night our mobility challenged "others" didn't feel like going out.

The only thing I would not recommend is agreeing to share a table with someone that the restaurant manager encourages you to share a table with. I know this is likely a fluke, but I agreed to share a specialty dining table and was seated with a new widow who was cruising alone. She had booked the cruise with her now deceased husband, and the family had insisted that she travel solo. While I felt bad for her, I'm very comfortable on my own and would have preferred that to hearing the tales of her life with him and how awful it was without him.

I have never cruised solo but have often traveled by myself. I wouldn’t think twice about taking myself out to dinner on land, and I wouldn’t think twice about someone dining by themselves on board. Whatever you decide, enjoy your trip!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I just did specialty restaurants for the first time on my most recent cruise and I was traveling solo and thus dined solo in both Sabatini's (twice) and Crown Grill. I didn't feel in the least out of place. The service was excellent and I didn't notice anyone staring with wonder . . . That said, I never go anywhere, especially dining out, without my Kindle. Once I've ordered, the Kindle gets opened and I kind of get lost in whatever I'm reading, so the entire restaurant could have been pointing and laughing at the loser solo and I'd never have noticed . . . !

Meanwhile, I would never dream of limiting myself to the buffet and room service just because I was traveling alone. You paid the same (more, actually) than everyone else -- if you wish to dine in the main dining room, that is your right. I have seen plenty of others dining alone in there, too.

I would encourage you to eat in the dining room for dinner if that is what you want - there is always room for 1 more at a table. Or you can eat by yourself. I wouldn't restrict yourself to buffet or room service. No problems in speciality dining.

I have cruised solo multiple times and each time, I dined in Sabatini's and The Crown Grill by myself. I got no weird looks from either wait staff or the other patrons. As an added bonus, the pacing of my meal was a little bit faster since there was no idle chit chat to distract me from eating.

As a solo, I always choose Anytime Dining. That way, I'm not committed to dining with the same group of people every night. If I'm craving solitude, I can ask for a table for myself in the MDR. On the other hand, if I'm feeling sociable, I'll go for a shared table and meet some new people.

I say go for it. A solo cruise is fantastic. It's your chance to be totally selfish with no repercussions. You can do exactly what you want when you want without having to worry about what other people want to do.

When I travel solo, I use Anytime dining and ask for a table for two for

just me. You get faster service and get out sooner. With people it takes so much time.

This way can make a show or game when you want on time. Same goes for the

Specialty Restaurants.

. Even when traveling with a friend we always ask for a table for two.

Hello,

No problems at all, enjoy.

Hello,

..... For this cruise, I'm thinking I will probably go to the buffet or have room service. My question is, what if I really want to go to one of the specialty restaurants for a change? Do people stare at a single or is it inappropriate as far as using a table multiple people could use? Should I try to see if there is another single or anyone that would join me on the roll call, or do I just suck it up and stick with the original plan or go for it? Anyone? Also, if anyone has any tips to share for a solo I'd love to know. I am aware of the "solos" board, but was hoping for Princess specific. Thanks!

You paid for the cruise, probably the same as two people cruising together. Enjoy the table by yourself. If anyone stares stare back. It's really none of their darn business if you are eating by yourself at a table for 2 or 20.

You all are great. Thank you not just for the helpful answers, but the well wishes. It's probably a little silly, but you've eased my mind and now I think I can relax and enjoy this next adventure fully. Thanks again!! (BTW please forgive the errors in my original post, I changed it a few times and couldn't see the mistakes until after I'd confirmed it- natch).

I am solo on this same cruise. (Regal 3/18). Will be at the M&M so maybe we will run into one another, Have cruised solo many times, I always meet people &, frankly, prefer going solo. I usually do late traditional late dining but booked so late everything is waitlisted so I am on Anytime. I have done this before & it is fine. Not crazy about buffets & usually do room service for breakfast & lunch in Alfredo's or the dining room if it is open. I rarely do the buffet for dinner. I always like to try the specialty restaurants & feel perfectly comfortable doing this alone. I use to travel a lot for work & always ate in nice restaurants so this is no big deal. I have been on Regal 3 times & did a 10 day on Royal in mid Dec. I think the food on Regal is better. Have eaten in both specialty restaurants & they are both good. Will probably not eat in Sabatini's this time as they have a new menu Regal which is not very appealing to me & appears to have been downgraded. (Royal still has old menu).

When I travel solo, I use Anytime dining and ask for a table for two for

just me. You get faster service and get out sooner. With people it takes so much time.

This way can make a show or game when you want on time. Same goes for the

Specialty Restaurants.

. Even when traveling with a friend we always ask for a table for two.

Agree with you on this one! Even when I travel with a friend I prefer to have my own cabin & a table for 2. Don't mind a large table in Anytime but if I am going to a show I usually ask for a table alone so I can leave when I want to.

I love cruising solo. I also use the Kindle method, it seems the only time I have to read is on a ship!

Usually on longer cruises I pick a couple of nights to dine with a large table (especially when there are no shows I care to attend). It's great to meet other people. Many times I've dined a Specialty restaurants by myself and plan to do so again, twice, on my next cruise. As someone stated, you can get through dinner a lot faster if you wish to see a show. (p.s. it's sooo much easier to find a seat in the theater when you are just 'one'.) :)

Also consider the Chef's Table. A little expensive, but fantastic.

There have been quite a few nights where I got room service, and the delivered pizza is awesome.

Now I'm contemplating the Ultimate Balcony Dinner, I loved it the last year, with my cabin mate. Is it possible to only pay for half?

If you decide to eat in the buffet, consider bringing a sweater or something else to 'claim' your table should you wish to get up and get something else.

You'll be amazed at how relaxing cruising solo can be.

Hi,

I have done many Princess cruises solo. In fact, I am cruising aboard the Crown Princess solo on the eight-night cruise that departs on February 23. I have tried anytime dining, but I prefer second seating traditional dinner. It is fine to dine in one of the specialty restaurants solo. I have done this many times and have booked a table in the Crown Grill for my upcoming cruise.

I love to discuss travel (especially cruises) and usually meet interesting people throughout the cruise (in the dining room, on shore excursions, playing trivia, people seated near me in the theater, etc.). Cruises are an excellent vacation for solo travelers.

Have a great cruise!

Chuck

I've never sailed solo, but we have had a solo at our table of six on several occasions and and it was no different that having a couple. As everyone else has said "no one notices" so go ahead and do whatever you choose.

Glad to read all these posts! :) I'm sailing solo on the Emerald 30 days end of this month, can't wait. I've been on 30 cruises maybe 6 with a friend. I like being by myself.

I find traditional dining works well for me, I ask for a large table and so far so good with table mates. I changed tables one time because I was with 2 couples, all about themselves, their kids, their community, common interests, it was very odd. The other people never showed so it was awkward and I asked to change, which was no problem.

I don't mind eating breakfast and lunch alone, but find it nice to talk to others at dinner. I don't want to do any time dining, constantly re-introducing myself every evening. I'm not a buffet person, only go there for a bowl of fruit now and then, not my thing. On the Regal and Royal, I do lunch at Alfredo's quite a bit, love it.

I started cruising in 1982, and find just as many solo travelers now, as I did when I was in my 30's. I think it's great.

Susancruzs -- "I find traditional dining works well for me, I ask for a large table and so far so good with table mates...

I don't mind eating breakfast and lunch alone, but find it nice to talk to others at dinner. I don't want to do any time dining, constantly re-introducing myself every evening."

When I read your post, I almost thought I'd written this part (above)! I prefer b'fast (usually room service) & lunch (pizza or buffet) alone w/my Kindle, but I'm ready to chat by dinner time. And I prefer a small group that I'm getting to know a little better each evening. I've only done Crown Grill once; the food was quite good, but sitting alone was a bore!

BTW -- I lived in Whitefish Bay for 12 yrs. Maybe we'll be on the same cruise sometime & can compare WI stories.