Tipping Bartenders

JRudy33

We bought the deluxe drink package for our upcoming cruise. I know it includes tax and tips. We also had the package on our last cruise. We had quite a few great bartenders so we liked to give them an extra buck or two. Sometimes we just added it to our slip, but sometimes gave them the cash. Do you know if you add it to your slip, does that particular bartender really get that tip or is it put into a fund for all of them? Do you think they would appreciate the cash more?

We bought the deluxe drink package for our upcoming cruise. I know it includes tax and tips. We also had the package on our last cruise. We had quite a few great bartenders so we liked to give them an extra buck or two. Sometimes we just added it to our slip, but sometimes gave them the cash. Do you know if you add it to your slip, does that particular bartender really get that tip or is it put into a fund for all of them? Do you think they would appreciate the cash more?

If you put it on the tab, it gets pooled. If you give it to them, trust me, it goes in their pocket!

If you put it on the tab, it gets pooled. If you give it to them, trust me, it goes in their pocket!

It doesn't always go in their pockets. On Brilliance last week several of the bartenders were dropping cash tips into a bucket to be, one assumes, split later. This mostly happened at the pool bar. All other bars cash did, indeed, seem to be kept by the serving bartender.

Family of four we bring $200 in ones and fives for servers. I think they are incredibly hard working! We give our teens cash to tip as well, along with heartfelt thank you's for great and friendly service. We also taught them to fill out service hero cards (our only experiences were NCL) and they quickly learned they were likely to get chocolate covered strawberries delivered to their room! That certainly solidified that new habit!! Hope RCI has something similar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was interested in our Host Clarea's point (on a post a few weeks ago) that the 18% gratuity on the deluxe package price, depending on how much you consume, may not translate into 18% per drink...it is 18% on the total package price. I always tip an extra $1, even if I'm picking up a bottle of water from the bar and the bar servers (at least on Grandeur) always appear to be pooling those extra tips in a jar of some sort at the bar. Sadly, no matter how many $1's I bring, it seems that I always run out and end up at Guest Services cashing larger bills to get more $1's... I'm very grateful that we have that option. :)

The bartenders or waiters who serve the drink get any additional gratuity placed on the bill when signed. I've expressly asked the bartenders in Boleros on Anthem about it because I wanted them to share the tips I provided at the end, and while I put $150 on one check, that bartender told me to expect it to show up as three separate items on my statement because he would ring it up separately for each bartender so they would receive the appropriate amount. I separately got 1 drink from a particular waiter to give him his tip separately. And that is what showed up. Done it that way a few times since; same thing.

The OP's question has been a curiosity of mine for a while. At some point during a cruise I will ask my 'friendly' bartender and I have found the answer is typically that the tip you add to your bill goes to the server. If you give cash, it is pooled and shared for that shift or some agreement among the bartenders. I should preface this by saying I normally asked the bartenders this question on the pool or pool+1 decks. So other bars may vary.

I do not want to sound CHEAP , (I know it includes tax and tips.) But why tip extra. ???...18% already paid for a drink should be sufficient really !!!...thats why we take these packages...My opinion and yes I do tip EXTRA.......................

I agree, If there were no tips added to a $12 drink would you really tip $3 per drink? That is what you are doing if you add an extra dollar to the 18% that is added on already.

I do not want to sound CHEAP , (I know it includes tax and tips.) But why tip extra. ???...18% already paid for a drink should be sufficient really !!!...thats why we take these packages...My opinion and yes I do tip EXTRA.......................

I don't think you sound cheap but rather to the point you are correct, every drink purchased includes a gratuity. This 18% forms a pool of money then each week/cruise that pool is split among every person involved in the beverage service department. That's fine with me and if people do not wish to add extra they certainly shouldn't feel expected to.

The staff know you are forced to pay it and lets face it, many/most wouldn't if they were not forced to do so.

With that said I equally believe it is the prerogative of any passenger to add additional cash tips. The result of faster/better/more friendly service is a natural consequence of your expression of gratitude.

I look at it this way. Most of the staff on the ship live groundhog day for months on end surrounded by an endless stream of people who in their eyes live a vastly superior lifestyle with boundless opportunity and don't often show any form of gratitude but rather expectation because of the money they paid to be on the cruise.

I tip the bar staff, I tip the person who cleans the public bathrooms, the staff you see cleaning the rails and glass in the stariwells etc. I always do it with a thank you and most often in their own language. It may only be a couple of $$ which is not going to change my life or theirs but imagine how much it brightens their day. The opportunity to do that is worth every cent to me.

It doesn't always go in their pockets. On Brilliance last week several of the bartenders were dropping cash tips into a bucket to be, one assumes, split later. This mostly happened at the pool bar. All other bars cash did, indeed, seem to be kept by the serving bartender.

This is also what I saw on Grandeur in August. Bucket on back shelf, cash tips went into it.

I do this for exceptional service.

The pool bar staff on Grandeur last August was GREAT. So I tossed a few bucks extra tips every sea day.

Thanks to all of you for your replies. I think I may just tip in cash and if I don't happen to have it on me, will just add it to the slip I realize that I don't need to do that, but we have so much fun with some of the bartenders and they work so hard, that I think they deserve a little extra.

I don't think you sound cheap but rather to the point you are correct, every drink purchased includes a gratuity. This 18% forms a pool of money then each week/cruise that pool is split among every person involved in the beverage service department. That's fine with me and if people do not wish to add extra they certainly shouldn't feel expected to.

The staff know you are forced to pay it and lets face it, many/most wouldn't if they were not forced to do so.

With that said I equally believe it is the prerogative of any passenger to add additional cash tips. The result of faster/better/more friendly service is a natural consequence of your expression of gratitude.

I look at it this way. Most of the staff on the ship live groundhog day for months on end surrounded by an endless stream of people who in their eyes live a vastly superior lifestyle with boundless opportunity and don't often show any form of gratitude but rather expectation because of the money they paid to be on the cruise.

I tip the bar staff, I tip the person who cleans the public bathrooms, the staff you see cleaning the rails and glass in the stariwells etc. I always do it with a thank you and most often in their own language. It may only be a couple of $$ which is not going to change my life or theirs but imagine how much it brightens their day. The opportunity to do that is worth every cent to me.

Very well put! This is pretty much my philosophy and how I approach mass market cruises. In the grand scheme of things, these cruises are a great bargain when you calculate out the per diem. Showing a little extra gratitude to the crew on board has always made my experience much more enjoyable.