Any questions on the Cabanas on the Nieuw Amsterdam

watty32

That's helpful, as well. I am guessing that you were in a 2 person and it was wedged in between other two person cabanas?

I asked my DH about renting a cabana and he said that we could do the same thing on our suite veranda and save some money. :D

That's helpful, as well. I am guessing that you were in a 2 person and it was wedged in between other two person cabanas?

I asked my DH about renting a cabana and he said that we could do the same thing on our suite veranda and save some money. :D

Yes it was a two person on the port side just forward of a four person cabana.

Yes … and no. The cabana stewards spoil you every chance they get. Also, while you have privacy in the cabanas, you aren't isolated as you are on your veranda.

But that's great --- we're hoping that the cabanas don't get too popular as we won't sail without one!

We rented a retreat cabana on the NA for a seven day Caribbean with the thought that if we liked it we could book it for the 20 day cruise we were taking b to b with the seven days.

It was a lovely setting but we found it dreadfully hot and airless.

We were also bored out of our minds. After two days we never returned.

Our friends in the adjoining cabana held out longer than we did but they were not using it much toward the end of that trial week.

We were all so glad we had not spent the money to prebook for the whole 27 days we were aboard.

After enjoying the cabanas for our last ten seven to fourteen day cruises, we've already booked it for the duration of our upcoming 28 day cruise. They aren't for everybody, I guess -- which is a good thing when there aren't many of them!

Yes … and no. The cabana stewards spoil you every chance they get. Also, while you have privacy in the cabanas, you aren't isolated as you are on your veranda.

But that's great --- we're hoping that the cabanas don't get too popular as we won't sail without one!

In the past, we would seek out the most isolated areas on the ship decks that had sun. :cool: We like quiet for reading and napping. We are not the type to enjoy the water games, trivia, etc.

Unfortunately being out in the sun is coming back to haunt us. :loudcry: So I was interested in the cabanas, even though they are not in the quietest of places. But DH is right. It's seems hard to justify spending $100 a day to have a tent over our heads, in an area that will not be very peaceful, when we can use our veranda.

Being waited on hand and foot is not as appealing to DH as it is to me. :( Lol At least I will have a bathroom nearby my veranda, can get out of the sun as needed, and we can always call room service if we become too lazy to go to the cafe for breakfast and lunch. :)

Thanks again, and enjoy your cabanas!

• Like 1

In the past, we would seek out the most isolated areas on the ship decks that had sun. :cool: We like quiet for reading and napping. We are not the type to enjoy the water games, trivia, etc.

Unfortunately being out in the sun is coming back to haunt us. :loudcry: So I was interested in the cabanas, even though they are not in the quietest of places. But DH is right. It's seems hard to justify spending $100 a day to have a tent over our heads, in an area that will not be very peaceful, when we can use our veranda.

Being waited on hand and foot is not as appealing to DH as it is to me. :( Lol At least I will have a bathroom nearby my veranda, can get out of the sun as needed, and we can always call room service if we become too lazy to go to the cafe for breakfast and lunch. :)

Thanks again, and enjoy your cabanas!

Can I ask why you think they’re not in a quiet and peaceful area? That is not my experience.

Because they overlook and are opened the mid pool area, they are next to other occupied cabanas, and are opened to the lounging area. Lots of people in one area, so we assumed it would be noisy.

In the past, our idea of sunning and relaxing was to go all the way to the top deck of ships and get as far away from other passengers as we could. The place we have been on the Eurodam was up on Deck 12, forward. We rarely saw another soul up there. :D

The Retreat area is pretty quiet, in our experience (6 different Retreat rentals). Occasionally you get a little noise for one reason or an another, but it is usually short lived.

Agreed. Most people who are in the Retreat Cabanas want the same thing: peace and quiet. Most talk in hushed tones … we've napped and enjoyed the sea breezes …… my husband reads a lot ……… and we've just had enjoyable chats.

It does live up to its name ……….. The Retreat (Cabanas)

We had a retreat cabana on the NA last October, Vancouver to Ft. Lauderdale. Actually, we were traveling with another couple, and the "girls" shared it, no hubbies allowed. We used it almost every day, even on cool windy days with no problem. We had breakfast, lunch, and snacks, unlimited bottles of water, an occasional bar drink. It was wonderful! There was a bathroom nearby, inside of the ship.

I would love to do that again!!

And I would never book one of the Lido cabanas. As others have mentioned, no privacy and lots of noise.

• Thanks 1

Yes, Lady Chew, that was a great cruise in the Retreat! And in case anyone wonders, Lady Chew prebooked the cabana and I paid her half since HAL wouldn’t let us split the cost between two bookings which.

The “cabana boys” said it was okay for our husbands to come and visit us. (We were quiet and I think only once were all four of us in the cabana at the same time and that was for less than 5 minutes.) So if you’re traveling with another couple and just two of you want to enjoy the cabana and split the cost, go for it. It was great!

• Thanks 1

Yes, Lady Chew, that was a great cruise in the Retreat! And in case anyone wonders, Lady Chew prebooked the cabana and I paid her half since HAL wouldn’t let us split the cost between two bookings which.

The “cabana boys” said it was okay for our husbands to come and visit us. (We were quiet and I think only once were all four of us in the cabana at the same time and that was for less than 5 minutes.) So if you’re traveling with another couple and just two of you want to enjoy the cabana and split the cost, go for it. It was great!

It sounds like you were very respectful of the situation. Every once in a while someone tries to save $$$ and rents the two person cabana for four people. It puts the cabana stewards in a difficult position, both with other guests and their superiors. You are right -- having "visitors" is generally never a problem. Four people taking up residence in a two person cabana is. Glad you enjoyed it!!!

• 1 year later...

I know this post is 2 years old, but we too have booked a family cabana for a Panama Canal Cruise for next April, 2021. I am wondering about how hot the cabanas get, especially as we get further South to Panama, but really for the whole 14 days.  Did you find the family cabanas got pretty hot as the day progressed?

On 2/7/2018 at 11:01 PM, watty32 said:

My wife and I have sailed several times on the Nieuw Amsterdam and on our last trip from San Francisco to Fort Lauderdale, via the Panama Canal we booked a family cabana for the entire cruise. It was delightful and I would be glad to answer questions on the Cabanas if anyone is interested.

I know this post is 2 years old, but we too have booked a family cabana for a Panama Canal Cruise for next April, 2021. I am wondering about how hot the cabanas get, especially as we get further South to Panama, but really for the whole 14 days.  Did you find the family cabanas got pretty hot as the day progressed?

I think you will find the cabanas quite comfortable. We had a corner family  unit which gave us breezes from different directions. The only discomfort we had weather wise, was while sailing through the Canal we experienced a heavy and windy rain downpour. We had a puzzle which we laid out on the table get really drenched. We had a good laugh about it as the cabana staff people tried to cover it up and even went so far as to help us dry the pieces out. We ordered lunch before the downpour but that didn’t stop the staff from delivering and setting it up in the cabana. We had to laugh at their efforts to please us as we felt they went far beyond the “call of duty”. We used the cabana’s every day we were aboard the ship and other the the rain storm we found it to quite enjoyable. I have pictures I would be glad to share if you wish. Don

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, watty32 said:

I think you will find the cabanas quite comfortable. We had a corner family  unit which gave us breezes from different directions. The only discomfort we had weather wise, was while sailing through the Canal we experienced a heavy and windy rain downpour. We had a puzzle which we laid out on the table get really drenched. We had a good laugh about it as the cabana staff people tried to cover it up and even went so far as to help us dry the pieces out. We ordered lunch before the downpour but that didn’t stop the staff from delivering and setting it up in the cabana. We had to laugh at their efforts to please us as we felt they went far beyond the “call of duty”. We used the cabana’s every day we were aboard the ship and other the the rain storm we found it to quite enjoyable. I have pictures I would be glad to share if you wish. Don

Thank you for the great info, and the laugh 😆.  We've rented a Lido Cabana for a week on Eurodam during an Alaska cruise and fell in love with the comfort and service.  We did it again on the Eurodam but on a Mexican Riviera cruise from San Diego and it definitely got warm...too warm.  So, we've moved to the Retreat, paid a small fortune for a Family Cabana (starboard) for a 15 day sailing of the Nieuw Amsterdam through the Canal in April 2021. I was hoping that the corner location would keep a good breeze going, and it sounds from your description that it does. I would love to see your pictures.   😊

25 minutes ago, watty32 said:

Oh!  I just remembered I wanted to ask what month did you sail the Canal with the Family Cabana?

On 2/8/2018 at 2:01 PM, totheworld said:

We have one booked as well. Would love to know if you ate any meals or snacks in the family cabana - did you use it on embarkation day? I'm really looking forward to it! thanks.

We had a cabana for two in the retreat. Everyday they had a bowl of fruit for us and bottled water on ice. We did eat lunch there a few times. We ordered off the menu they brought us but the also said they would be happy to get us burgers or pizza if we preferred. We absolutely loved hanging out in our cabana, especially on seaways we the areas around the pool were crowded. 

We had a side facing cabana on our first cruiser...to the Caribbean. We found it hot most days, as air movement in the side facing cabanas is not good. Now we always get an aft facing cabana, including on the Eurodam through the Canal a couple of years ago, and we have not experienced the heat issue since.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

We had a side facing cabana on our first cruiser...to the Caribbean. We found it hot most days, as air movement in the side facing cabanas is not good. Now we always get an aft facing cabana, including on the Eurodam through the Canal a couple of years ago, and we have not experienced the heat issue since.

Thank you!

On 2/8/2018 at 3:22 PM, watty32 said:

We were in the family cabana on the upper deck. The cabanas around the pool are subject to have a lot of noise as they are only about 20 feet or so from the pool and very close to the lounges around the pool. There is very little privacy as walls are made of fabric material. On our cruises, we saw very little of them in use. I think if they were used it would be primarily on a "daily" basis versus booking one for the entire cruise. Since our family cabana was for the entire cruise, we even put a crossword puzzle together and were able to leave it up for days at a time while we worked on it. The stewards would cover it in bad weather or a very windy day. The stewards were very efficient and were also quickly available if something was needed. I don't think the upper cabanas would be worth the cost if you were sailing in cooler waters such as on the Alaska cruise. It would just be to cold to adequately use the facilities. Another drawback is the cabanas are completely forward, so if your cabins are in the aft area, you will have to navigate the entire ship to use them. If you had disabilities this might be a downer.

Thanks for posting this as we love the Lido cabanas and trust they may remain easily available.  We are looking for a comfortable place by the pool and these fit the bill perfectly (and understand lower in cost than Retreat cabanas).  Although the area is busy it is convenient to the pool and we never had an issue with noise or privacy. Service was also very attentive. While we have not traveled in the Retreat area I confess to having some (unfounded?)bias against it. We stayed several times in the Princess Sanctuary located on upper decks near the bow of the ship and the area can get extremely windy. On some Princess ships there is a spa located pool 'down the steps' from the Sanctuary which is handy but otherwise a hike to a pool . In the Retreat it seems that there would be a bit of a walk from cabana to pool and of course if you want to stay there  (pool) you have the usual nightmare of finding a lounger.

We have ruled out Princess because of an exasperating and poor Panama cruise so are looking only at two options for our future Carib cruises. We have MSC Yacht Club booked next year  which is a fantastic experience and we have also booked a 14 day NAmsterdam  cruise.

If HAL comes through with a drink package inclusion and we can book Lido Cabana we would prefer to do this. If not we will probably stick with the shorter YC cruise. At the end of the day a balcony room, included drink package, and Lido cabana checks off all of our primary cruise needs on the Carib route. Wish us luck on the drink package offering (yes I know pricing may increase to account for some of this).

Just wanted to share an alternative view to the Lido cabana desirability.

Happy cruising.

On 2/25/2020 at 7:26 PM, CruiserBruce said:

My experience with a side-facing cabana was completely opposite.  We had an aft-facing booked but the people in the next cabana (family) were super noisy so we asked to be moved.  We loved it!  The view was only the sea (as opposed to a pool roof and people walking) and there was a nice breeze coming through at all times.  If I was going to do a two-person cabana again, I would choose the side.

• 3 years later...
On 2/7/2018 at 10:01 PM, watty32 said:

My wife and I have sailed several times on the Nieuw Amsterdam and on our last trip from San Francisco to Fort Lauderdale, via the Panama Canal we booked a family cabana for the entire cruise. It was delightful and I would be glad to answer questions on the Cabanas if anyone is interested.

I definitely have a question please. We follow the Cruising Canucks on You Tube and in one of their videos they had rented a Lido Cabana which we are interested in but they were put into the one that had a loud speaker nearby that was so loud they couldn't hear each other talk. I think it was the center one but I can't find the video. Do you know by any chance which cabana is the quietest as far as the music and anouncements. We know their will be deck noise which is fine... ShihTzuMama

or just Debbie!

3 hours ago, Shih Tzu Momma said:

I definitely have a question please. We follow the Cruising Canucks on You Tube and in one of their videos they had rented a Lido Cabana which we are interested in but they were put into the one that had a loud speaker nearby that was so loud they couldn't hear each other talk. I think it was the center one but I can't find the video. Do you know by any chance which cabana is the quietest as far as the music and anouncements. We know their will be deck noise which is fine... ShihTzuMama

or just Debbie!

We were on the Nieuw Amsterdam in November 2023 and had St. Tropez and Corsica, and they did not have loud speaker music. I believe it was once of the middle cabanas that the Cruising Canucks stated there was a loud speaker in their cabana - Cannes.