Smoking on balconies.

FredGold

So it best to ignore a proven fire hazard on a cruise ship?

What ever happened to "see something say something?"

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Ok....Let's try this....I've said I mentioned something when it was littterally next to me. If you think I'm going to call out a 911 to the staff and mention that I smell smoke coming from some where, I don't know where, just to report it...do you really think they are going to call out the dogs? I've been on plenty of cruises where I've smelled smoking occuring on balconies and not once, I repeat, not once has there been a fire as a result.

While fires can happen because of cigarette ash, fires and other events and even disasters happen on cruise ships for many other reasons.

How would you smell it at night when you're sleeping? Do you sleep on your balcony?

Actually, on my Breakaway cruise in February it was quite nice at night and I slept with the balcony door open. Someone was smoking from 2 to 4 in the morning on their balcony. Impossible to prove.

Perhaps Uncle Sam should get involved and much like smoking is forbidden on flights to/from and within the United States, so should smoking be banned from cruises to/from and within the United States. That would take care of the problem by making the ships totally smoke-free.

Just some food for thought.

Actually, on my Breakaway cruise in February it was quite nice at night and I slept with the balcony door open. Someone was smoking from 2 to 4 in the morning on their balcony. Impossible to prove.

We were on the February 2nd Breakaway cruise. It was our first time on the ship and by far the worst ship for smoke overall.

A 2 hour smoking timeframe? I'd think that security could figure it out with that much time

After all it is a cruise ship and smelling smoke in non smoking areas is quite a serious matter and could be a fire

If balcony smoking is reported simply as smelling smoke (and no other commentary about cigarette smoking etc is added to the report) then ncl absolutely must take it seriously and find the source.

That said....if I reported and was 100% sure it was a balcony smoker and it was not handled promptly and permanently....then what better way to get ncls attention to this matter than to remove your dsc

Please no comments on the crew getting stiffed....

Reporting balcony smoke and it being ignored is by far a SERVICE ISSUE !!!!

Smoking on NCL is allowed in more public areas than most cruise lines we have sailed. You'd have to be ignorant to think that a cruise line that has such a liberal smoking policy does not 'invite' balcony smokers by its own softened smoking agenda.

By suggeting to others to penalize an innocent staff member(s) who has no responsibility for this policy by suggesting one withhold a DSC is utterly and selfishly ridiculous and just hate of a DSC.

Just don't sail the line, punish the promoting offender, NCL. Tell them and not the innocent, don't suggest to others that they stiff the staff for some convoluted agenda that you might have that has nothing to do with big business.

Edited by MizDemeanor

Smoking on NCL is allowed in more public areas than most cruise lines we have sailed. You'd have to be ignorant to think that a cruise line that has such a liberal smoking policy does not 'invite' balcony smokers by its own softened smoking agenda.

By suggeting to others to penalize an innocent staff member(s) who has no responsibility for this policy by suggesting one withhold a DSC is utterly and selfishly ridiculous and just hate of a DSC.

Just don't sail the line, punish the promoting offender, NCL. Tell them and not the innocent, don't suggest to others that they stiff the staff for some convoluted agenda that you might have that has nothing to do with big business.

Sorry but if balcony smoking is reported and ncl does not stop the culprit it most certainly is a service issue

It's ncl that's hurting their own employees

Fwiw...what if you reported the balcony smokers to the steward and he just let it go and didn't stop them?

I guess that's not a service issue?

The point is that removing or reducing dsc is the ultimate way to get Ncl's attention when they don't stop smokers

Sorry but if balcony smoking is reported and ncl does not stop the culprit it most certainly is a service issue

Fwiw...what if you reported the balcony smokers to the steward and he just let it go and didn't stop them?

The point is that removing or reducing dsc is the ultimate way to get Ncl's attention when they don't stop smokers

I had photos. It was addressed. I went to guest services. Since the offenders were adjacent cabin neighbors, I was able to have my balcony door open and I was able to enjoy being on my balcony thereafter. I'm not even sure it was on an NCL cruise, I actually think it was another line....And it never occured to me to punish my cabin steward, who did a faboo job, for an adjacent guests transgressions. I left them out of it.

To suggest that one plays detective if they smell some random cigarette smoke on NCL is off the reservation and pretty petty with absolutely nothing else to do with their time while on board but to be an angry sniper.

IMHO of course.

Unless a large percentage of passengers remove the DSC citing passengers smoking on their balcony, I sincerely doubt you're going to get NCL's attention. They may flag you in some way as someone to watch on any future cruises but other than that, you'll be viewed as cheap and nothing more.............

A 2 hour smoking timeframe? I'd think that security could figure it out with that much time

After all it is a cruise ship and smelling smoke in non smoking areas is quite a serious matter and could be a fire

If balcony smoking is reported simply as smelling smoke (and no other commentary about cigarette smoking etc is added to the report) then ncl absolutely must take it seriously and find the source.

That said....if I reported and was 100% sure it was a balcony smoker and it was not handled promptly and permanently....then what better way to get ncls attention to this matter than to remove your dsc

Please no comments on the crew getting stiffed....

Reporting balcony smoke and it being ignored is by far a SERVICE ISSUE !!!!

Agreed. But on a moving ship, the smoke does travel. And at night nonetheless, I had no idea where it was coming from so I never reported it. If I had a general idea I certainly would have. It was very annoying.

Unless a large percentage of passengers remove the DSC citing passengers smoking on their balcony, I sincerely doubt you're going to get NCL's attention. They may flag you in some way as someone to watch on any future cruises but other than that, you'll be viewed as cheap and nothing more.............

Flag me for what?

Reporting a potentially serious fire hazard?

For not getting the service I expect?

Especially if my steward knows about the smokers and doesn't stop them?

Really? I would hope ncl would want to know about this stewards actions.

Of course what you are forgetting to understand is that I said I would remove dsc if the situation were not rectified. So how does that make me cheap?

Sorry but I don't allow myself to be taken advantage of and to think ncl would not notice or care about refunding me close to $400 for my family is ridiculous

They will care

They will notice

Oh and they will still take my money if I book another cruise

Now...if they still take the booking of the pax that they fine $250 and/or kick off the ship then what can I say?

You seem to think I'm the bad guy but you are wrong

It's the BALCONY SMOKER who is the bad guy

Please get this straight ok

Edited by maggie cruises

Agreed. But on a moving ship, the smoke does travel. And at night nonetheless, I had no idea where it was coming from so I never reported it. If I had a general idea I certainly would have. It was very annoying.

I understand what you are saying but it still needed to be reported for the exact reason you state....it was a moving ship

I would report it as follows..

" I'm in cabin # whatever and from my balcony I can smell cigarette smoke and I know this is a potential fire hazard and against ncl rules so could you please find out where it's coming from and stop it as the ship is moving and it's breezy out and should the smoker throw the butt overboard a fire could start"

Ncl must take this complaint seriously!!! Also any pax who doesn't report smoking smell from is responsible should a fire start.

Bottom line is if you can smell cigarette smoke coming from a balcony you MUST report it. You are NOT the bad guy by reporting it but you ARE the bad guy if you don't report it.

Food for thought..

What exactly does a balcony smoker do with the cig butt?

Do they flick it overboard to destroy the evidence?

Or

Do they take the time to put it out in a wet glass?

Then try to destroy the evidence?

So the steward doesn't find it?

So do they flush it?

Do they leave the glass on the balcony floor?

Do they walk the refuse to a garbage spot in a smoking area?

Or do they tip the steward at beginning/middle AND end of trip to look the other way?

My guess is

They flick and they overtip

Flicking is a fire hazard

Overtipping is a bribe and if it's my steward as well it shows me he's not doing his job or watching out for his pax safety and doesn't deserve my dsc. Period

I had photos. It was addressed. I went to guest services. Since the offenders were adjacent cabin neighbors, I was able to have my balcony door open and I was able to enjoy being on my balcony thereafter. I'm not even sure it was on an NCL cruise, I actually think it was another line....And it never occured to me to punish my cabin steward, who did a faboo job, for an adjacent guests transgressions. I left them out of it.

To suggest that one plays detective if they smell some random cigarette smoke on NCL is off the reservation and pretty petty with absolutely nothing else to do with their time while on board but to be an angry sniper.

IMHO of course.

Playing detective?

I'm suggesting reporting a potential fire hazard

How does that make me the bad guy?

Oh that's right it doesn't...because I'm doing the right thing and I'm not breaking the rules?

Just wondering...do you think your "Faboo" steward knew about the smokers?

Do you think he never smelled it too?

However what you are posting actually agrees with what I'm saying

You smelled it

You reported it

It was taken care of

You had no reason to reduce dsc

But what is telling is you don't even think it was ncl

On ncl there is a pattern of balcony smoking NOT being stopped

You didn't have this issue did you as your complaint was taken seriously and stopped

Im posting about smoking continuing after it being reported...which makes it a SERVICE issue because the ship is allowing a potential fire hazard to continue.

Edited by maggie cruises

My husband finally got fed up with a neighbor who smoked non-stop on his balcony and informed him it was not allowed and he had to stop doing it.

The next day the neighbor proceeded to sing heaven only knows how many verses of "99 Bottles of Beer on the Wall" while we were sitting on the balcony. Unfortunately, he won. We couldn't take it and went back inside.

Im posting about smoking continuing after it being reported...which makes it a SERVICE issue because the ship is allowing a potential fire hazard to continue.

On Breakaway and Getaway which are both ships I have sailed on, smoking is allowed at the Waterfront, an outside deck. While I follow the concern for cigarettes and fires from smoking on balconies, I don't see any logistical difference with smoking in these outdoor areas since a fire can result from smoking there too.

On Breakaway and Getaway which are both ships I have sailed on, smoking is allowed at the Waterfront, an outside deck. While I follow the concern for cigarettes and fires from smoking on balconies, I don't see any logistical difference with smoking in these outdoor areas since a fire can result from smoking there too.

They provide proper receptacles for disposing of butts.

I live in downtown Dallas. For the life of me I cannot fathom how the origination and continuation of it being okay to drop and step on a butt and leave it like garbage. The cracks in the sidewalk are full of these. Yuk.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited Quote:

Flag you to see what excuse you use in the future to stiff the staff.................

What makes you think I'm planning to reduce dsc?

I'm just pointing out the fact that if ncl doesn't stop the smoker that it is a valid service issue and reducing dsc is the pax right should they choose

I'm just a very clear thinker here that's all so don't get all nervous

There are no proper receptacles on balconies nor in cabin hallways nor in the vast major of the other areas of the ship

So you dont see the logistical differences?

Let me say it clearly.....the balcony smoker is a rule breaker so he doesn't really care does he?

Do you really think this rule breaker is going to care if he flicks the butt?

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to know that he most certainly will not care one bit

Now I'm waiting for a balcony smoker to chime in that they are very careful where they dispose of the butts....of course if someone does chime in here their comments are nonsense and hold zero credibility...because they are balcony smokers that blatantly break rules!!!!!! They have no credibility!!!!

My family was on Carnival Conquest last October, and we had a smoker next to us. I could actually see a female hand with a ring and cigarette in hand through the slight partition. I called Guest Services immediately. The two officers came to our stateroom within minutes and asked if they could go out on our balcony. One of them leaned over and looked into their balcony. Ashes all over the place. We didn't have any problems the rest of our cruise.

I could go on a rant here but I won't. I am a smoker and have cruised NCL when you could smoke right in your cabin, this no longer applies and I implore other fellow smokers to follow the dam rules and go to designated smoking areas before you ruin it for all and they don't allow smoking anywhere on the ship.

You can't smoke on a plane so what is so hard about walking your butt to the smoking area???

I could go on a rant here but I won't. I am a smoker and have cruised NCL when you could smoke right in your cabin, this no longer applies and I implore other fellow smokers to follow the dam rules and go to designated smoking areas before you ruin it for all and they don't allow smoking anywhere on the ship.

You can't smoke on a plane so what is so hard about walking your butt to the smoking area???

I agree but this whole smoking debate brings out the stupidity in a lot of folks on here.

Have you read the ridiculous comments. So extreme plus all the conspiracy theory's

I usually only see people smoking where its allowed.

Half of these folks complaining were heavy smokers at one time now they have O2 tanks and cant take it.

The whole DSC is stupid people use that lame subject all the time. If the smoker gets fined he can offset the cost by removing the DSC....

I have never seen anyone flick a smoke overboard from there balcony. I have seen them smoke and put the but in a capped beer can they must throw them out in the trash.

What makes you think I'm planning to reduce dsc?

I'm just pointing out the fact that if ncl doesn't stop the smoker that it is a valid service issue and reducing dsc is the pax right should they choose

I'm just a very clear thinker here that's all so don't get all nervous

Actually, you did. In post #59 you wrote:

"And this is why if I smell smoke on my balcony I report it immediately and ask what is going to be done about it

If I smell it from the same source a second time I report it immediately and tell them to remove my dsc in total"

Actually, you did. In post #59 you wrote:

"And this is why if I smell smoke on my balcony I report it immediately and ask what is going to be done about it

If I smell it from the same source a second time I report it immediately and tell them to remove my dsc in total"

Did you miss that I said "if"?

My actions are hypothetical as I'm not on a ship with balcony smokers ...

However...if...a smoker is present....if..it's nots corrected immediately after I report it...yes I will remove dsc...if...it is not corrected

Got it. Good